Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 4 - The officials throw The Bear off the cliff - Sunrise 3 BRUINS 2 - Panthers lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
They play a Claude Lemieux and Ulf Samuelsson kind of game, that’s what the league has allowed. They take shots, they hide behind the ref, they act like they got murdered when they get hit. And they get rewarded for it. Happened last year until the finals and it’s happening again this year. In the old days, Bennett and Tkachuk would have been crucified for running away from a Maroon or whoever, now people just say they’re being smart, it’s exactly what Lemieux did to Neely.

They’re a talented team, but that style takes away from it. It’s within the rules now apparently, so it is what it is.
Claude Lemieux son played just like him in Major A.

Reactions: SPV

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
This is priceless.

I went to NHL.com looking for the rulebook. Discovered they have videos explaining the rules. Watched the goaltender interference one. About half way through they deal with offensive and defensive players being pushed into the goaltender. It's pretty clear. They even use examples. Guess who the offending offensive player is being used as example of pushing a defending player into the goalie?

Sam F##%ing Bennett. Can't make this stuff up. 🤣

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Zacha a complete failure. Did the opposite of his words. Zero attempts to hit. Few things worse than a player who cannot match his words with play.
IMG_1265.png

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
Vancouver is kind of doing it this year, Vegas absolutely did it last year.

Some teams are going to get the calls for whatever reason, they just do. There's bias, agendas whatever.

The teams that overcome it make their penalties be about aggression, they know they are going to take penalties somewhat (or perhaps more than somewhat) and they make them physical calls by hitting, late hits, not taking any crap anywhere. They make the refs call these types of penalties instead of holding, interference, hooking etc..

It's crazy what teams face against Edmonton the calls they get can be outrageous, so you deal with it by accepting it and playing hard physical hockey all over the ice and although you'll have to kill penalties, you were going to have to kill them anyway.

Vegas did it all last year, you think the NHL wanted the minuscule Vegas TV market in the Finals, no way, but if you saw them in their run they didn't take any crap and went after teams, they took a lot of penalties but in my opinion they were the right kind.

I'm no Canucks fan but i admire how they're playing Edmonton, no kid gloves for McDavid (who has been getting away with murder including a nice high stick and cut on Hughes this series) or any Oilers player for that matter.

The Bruins just take it on the chin in every fashion, they get beat up and they take the penalties anyway. Coach says nothing, management nothing, and i don't believe they are completely handcuffed, there are ways to do it, you can be subtle to get the point across, sarcasm, humor even if used correctly. Coaches on other teams seem to do it and get away with it, Boston doesn't even try.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm still actually laughing at the fact the Bruins didn't do a thing to Bennett after he knocks Marchand out of what possibly could be the entire series with a cheap ass suckerpunch.

No one did anything. Nothing. Did he even receive a hit?

I saw Frederic politely ask him to fight, which he declined.

Bennett should have been picking his teeth up off the ice, instead he scores a goal.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'm still actually laughing at the fact the Bruins didn't do a thing to Bennett after he knocks Marchand out of what possibly could be the entire series with a cheap ass suckerpunch.

Bennett should have been picking his teeth up off the ice, instead he scores a goal.
Thats the weak ass coach 100%

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Frederic has been good, we can stop lumping him with guys that are stiffs
There was a time in the game Fredric went to Bennett and said let’s go and Bennett wanted no part of it. What always bugs me is why don’t some of these playoffs issue get settled in the regular season?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hearing for Soucy, wild what can happen when the city and team makes an uproar instead of “the league does a good job and it’s hard to get things right.”
McDavid started that by swinging his stick .He high sticked Hughes game before and nothing.After the play he got up and instead of being a man he snuck around behind everyone along the glass to go cry to ref.Zero respect for that pusssy now

Reactions: Dreghorn2

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Bennett is not going to fight. In spite of this fact someone on the Bruins should of been lined up beside him at the start of the game and pummeled him. He was expecting it but got away with his ignorance again. They basically are laughing at what they get away with and no real response. You have to draft players with sandpaper and grit. They are fan favorites in most cases.

Reactions: BMC and capecodder

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
''Anybody calling to fire Monty and/or Sweeney doesn’t know hockey.''
You're absolutely right. They forgot Neely.
Here's the thing. Assessing what went wrong last year. Facing a strong forecheck, Bruins D become immobile and give up possession. Forwards arent moving and also try to flick out the puck and bad things happen.

This season. Number 1 issue. Breakouts. Late period/late game breakdowns.

There is literally nothing else to work on if your constantly hemmed in (Well D-Zone faceoffs ;-). I'd argue the Bruins are one of the worst teams in the League when it come to possessing the puck towards the neutral zone under pressure.

Our coaching staff during last years playoffs, all season, and this years' playoffs have no answers.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What makes you think he’s going to have a bad camp he outplayed the entire team last year. Got some NHL experience and has an off-season of S+C. Wasn’t great at the worlds idk why people think more Jr would be better.

I never said I expect a bad camp. He could have a great camp and still find himself starting the season down in the AHL. Depends how the roster shapes up.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Don’t worry Sheppy, Sweeney is holding a press conference to yell at the league about our team getting beat up too much!

Reactions: capecodder

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Jeremy Swayman deserved better from the referees patrolling the TD Garden ice Sunday night.

He also deserved better from the teammates floundering all around him.

The Bruins lost Game 4 to the Panthers and are a game away from playoff extinction, but don’t blame the goalie. Swayman continues to be the best player in Black and Gold, but one man cannot win a series alone. He made an astounding 39 saves against the relentless Florida attack, but it was Sergei Bobrovsky and his paltry-by-comparison 16 stops who went home with the win, a 3-2 final that pushed the Bruins into a 3-1 hole in this second-round series. Game 5 is Tuesday night in Florida.

“I just want to stick to facts,” a stoic Swayman said, “and the fact is that my own player was pushed into me by theirs and I couldn’t play my position.”

Said player agreed. “It goes through me, I feel a push from behind and I go down on Sway, the puck trickles down and right to their guy, empty net, figured I could probably turn around and make a play on it and clear it. It’s a tough call,” Coyle said. “It’s a huge swing, they score, tied, and they get a PP out of it.”

The Bruins managed to kill off the penalty that ensued for losing their replay challenge, but what little gas they’d had in their tank, what little pressure they’d managed to put on Bobrovsky early on, was gone. By the time bruising center Aleksander Barkov came streaking down center ice to score the game-winner, the final 7:31 of the game was mere formality.

Swayman would officially take the loss, but this one belongs to a defense that couldn’t protect him and an offense that couldn’t help him. Outshot, 42-18, what chance did the goalie have?

“He just keeps dominating, making save after save. He keeps us in games,” Coyle said.

Coach Jim Montgomery said it too: “He gave us the opportunity.”

Time and time again, Montgomery has declared Swayman this team’s best player, and it was the coach who declared it a no-contest at the end of the seven-game nailbiter over Toronto. Time and time again, the coach has challenged the rest of his roster to match the young goalie’s intensity, to feed off his excellence the way they finally did in that Game 7 overtime win over the Leafs.

Swayman was the reason the Bruins were in Sunday’s game. While it was teammate Charlie McAvoy who did his best to prove the Bruins were determined to avenge the fate of their captain, Brad Marchand, by matching the notoriously chippy Panthers, laying a big hit on Sam Reinhart in the opening minutes (big enough to break his own stick in the process), it was Swayman who set a more definitive early tone, and not because he was bold enough to challenge chief Panther pest Matthew Tkachuk to a fight.

Again, what is a goalie to do?

In this case, keep the faith.

“I have a lot of confidence in this room, a lot of motivation in this room, and I couldn’t be more excited to get down there and then get back to Boston,” Swayman said.

Come this offseason, there will be no tears shed for Swayman, not when he lands the lucrative payday surely coming his way. He’s 25 years old, he’s commandeered the No. 1 spot from netmate Linus Ullmark these two series, and he’s shown the fire and intensity that stamps him as one of the team’s most influential emotional leaders.

He deserves a big payday. He deserved better from his teammates.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

This whole “asking” to fight nonsense is horseshit. Honestly, nobody should be fighting Bennett, anyway. Some conscientious Bruin should take it upon himself to introduce Mr. Bennett to “The Spanish Archer”* and knock him out cold. As in: “we need the paramedics to revive him.” But, nobody wants to get in trouble. Maybe Brad would have done it… One game left. Let’s see what happens…

*The Spanish Archer = EL BOW.

Last edited:

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I can pretty much guarantee Sweeney won't call out the refs at this conference. It'll be a 3 or 4 question presser before Sweeney hops on the airplane.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020

People will say that Tkachuk or Bennet won't fight though. That's why you hit them every chance and then in a scrum you break their noses. Take the penalty. Going to get one anyways. Maroon slowly moving around the ice chirping people does nothing. Break your stick on a player and take the suspension. The refs are one thing but this gutless all talk no action team, coach and management can get bent. 100 year anniversary of a storied franchise and this is then end of it. Monty neutered. Nobody doing any damage to the Panthers is embarrassing, especially after saying game after game that they are going to.
Please trade Zacha and Coyle at this point. Secure two top centres, ones that can get the job done and let Freddy centre the third and Beecher on the fourth.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad