GDT: ECSF Game 2: Carolina Hurricanes vs. YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS, 8PM TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Mental and physical fatigue. Cup winners find a way to overcome both. The table is set, watcha gonna do ?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Also even though Meier, Bratt, and Nico didn't score in the first series, they were getting opportunities - this just hasn't been the case against Carolina so far. Bratt had the best chance of the night last night, I thought, but he shot low like it seems all our players now just do as a default.
Yeah what is up with that? Our guys never lift the puck in close to the blue paint. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Triumph

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We can still win tomorrow and make a 2-1 series but this might be a little different than the Rangers series. You never know though.

I have not seen a momentum shift yet but it will happen, hopefully before it is too late. When this happens Carolina will look beatable and we will all feel like we wasted an opportunity. I think it will happen tomorrow.

Carolina is not only matching our speed they are burying us in puck movement, defense, and taking the body. Ruff needs to change up some strategy quickly.

Every playoffs I notice winning teams always have a a strong nucleus of larger thick boned solid players that wear teams down. Carolina and Florida both seem to have it. We have some but need to work on this in the offseason. Carolina is built like Rod Brindamour himself.

I see Bratt is everyone's whipping boy. He doesn't have to be but we do not have enough bone to let him do what he is capable of.

I am not a Bratt hater but like many I knew all along these guys become less effective when the game gets rough, unless the surrounding team is strong. The Sedin twins were a great example of great talents that lose productivity post season.

Go Devils, WIN GAME TWO for us!!

View attachment 703546
The Sedins were both around a .75 ppg player in the playoffs.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Dear Broooot, don’t be become the Playoff Panarin of the future… not something you want the reputation for kid.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Ruff needs to come up with a new scheme to get these guys going, their breakout is completely gone and can't generate anything through the NZ. I don't think dump and chase will work for them, they're getting outworked for every single puck.

The bottom line is they are getting their ass beat retrieving and battling for pucks in every zone all over the ice, the Canes simply want it more and are relentless on them whenever they do have the puck. That's kryptonite to someone like Bratt ATM who just peels off to the wall when pressured and gets his lunch money stolen.

They need to be a bit more patient and play the waiting game a bit and try to pounce on mistakes and counter attack. I think they're pressing way too hard trying to make something happen out there, then mismanage of the puck, cough it up and it's in our net. They look like total newbs out there.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ruff needs to come up with a new scheme to get these guys going, their breakout is completely gone and can't generate anything through the NZ. I don't think dump and chase will work for them, they're getting outworked for every single puck.

The bottom line is they are getting their ass beat retrieving and battling for pucks in every zone all over the ice, the Canes simply want it more and are relentless on them whenever they do have the puck. That's kryptonite to someone like Bratt ATM who just peels off to the wall when pressured and gets his lunch money stolen.

They need to be a bit more patient and play the waiting game a bit and try to pounce on mistakes and counter attack. I think they're pressing way too hard trying to make something happen out there, then mismanage of the puck, cough it up and it's in our net. They look like total newbs out there.
A couple of sociopaths would go a long way towards leveling the playing field.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Maybe plating infront of the home crowd can ignite some fire into them. Atleast you know the building will be like 90% Devils fans at worst. Also last change. It won't be easy to win it but winning 1 game can turn into possibly 2. If they battle back to tie it than they would be feeling much much better and confident. It's basically a must win next 2 games. Im sure it will be a much better game at home. Home ice would of been big against them the first 2 games. Maybe it's a split series heading back to Raleigh.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
we’re not getting quality chances, i’d go dump and chase like we did to turn around the rangers series.

i will say one of the bright spots has been our 4th line. mcleod has been one of our better forwards, which isn’t something i thought i’d ever say.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
we’re not getting quality chances, i’d go dump and chase like we did to turn around the rangers series.

i will say one of the bright spots has been our 4th line. mcleod has been one of our better forwards, which isn’t something i thought i’d ever say.
I don’t see this as a bright spot. I mean I’m glad they are playing well but they shouldn’t be our best players.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t see this as a bright spot. I mean I’m glad they are playing well but they shouldn’t be our best players.

The bright spot is that it seems like McLeod has found another level to his game - he'll never score goals, but if he can make plays at top speed while doing all the other stuff he does, that's a fine player to have.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yikes-rachel-dratch.gif

Reactions: RandoDoomer

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Then why the Debbie Downer gif?
me: mcleod has been a bright spot.
guitar whatever: he shouldn’t be our best player

god forbid i try to find a silver lining- in this case, a guy whose career has been a perpetual disappointment is playing well and finding his niche.

enough has been said already about our top 6. mcleod’s development is a good thing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
me: mcleod has been a bright spot.
guitar whatever: he shouldn’t be our best player

god forbid i try to find a silver lining- in this case, a guy whose career has been a perpetual disappointment is playing well and finding his niche.

enough has been said already about our top 6. mcleod’s development is a good thing.
I agree that McLeod’s game has taken a step in the playoffs. That’s a very nice development. But the big picture issue is valid. The fourth line should not be the best line. Guys like Hughes Hischier and Bratt have to figure it out. To be fair it’s a small sample size and some of it is bad luck. In this case I think some of it is systemic and the young top six players have to be given better coaching than battle harder but that is part of it.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I agree that McLeod’s game has taken a step in the playoffs. That’s a very nice development. But the big picture issue is valid. The fourth line should not be the best line. Guys like Hughes Hischier and Bratt have to figure it out. To be fair it’s a small sample size and some of it is bad luck. In this case I think some of it is systemic and the young top six players have to be given better coaching than battle harder but that is part of it.
yes lol it’s valid, but it’s not the point i was making. that valid point has been discussed ad nauseam. we’re not winning the series without contributions from our top 6, i think that’s pretty obvious.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For what it's worth, Akira was only a -0.77 GSAx last night on moneypucks game log. Haven't looked at NST's yet.

So it's fair to say he was playing fine until that cowboy moment at the end of the period that resulted in goal 4.

Vitek was a -1.21 GSAx.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For what it's worth, Akira was only a -0.77 GSAx last night on moneypucks game log. Haven't looked at NST's yet.

So it's fair to say he was playing fine until that cowboy moment at the end of the period that resulted in goal 4.

Vitek was a -1.21 GSAx.

I maintain that I don't think any of this has been on Akira and Vitek has looked quite shakey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I maintain that I don't think any of this has been on Akira and Vitek has looked quite shakey
I didn't think any of the goals he allowed in game 1 were ones where I would realistically expect a save on. Well, the one on Vitek I did.

Last game I thought Akira could have had goal 1, because it went through his arm pit.

It wasn't from that far out and the guy had all day to shoot it and the PK yet again couldn't get clears, just like the PK in the 1st period, only no goals happened on that one. So it wasn't a terrible goal.

Goal 2 was maybe borderline, but nothing terrible.

Goal 3, the only way he had a chance on that was to maybe try and do what he did on the fourth goal lol, which would have resulted in that happening one goal sooner probably lol.

Goal 4 he gambled a bit, but once again, we're trailing my multiple goals at that point.

I understood pulling him yesterday when they did, but not as early as they did in game 1. I felt it was a little early to pull him in game 1 early in the 2nd period after only 3 goals. At 4 goals? Okay pull him. 3 goals in the first period/half a period? I guess pull him, but we were basically throwing in the towel too early by pulling him in game 2 when we did.

The first goal on Vitek was off the glove on a breakaway, but a shot from not that close. Second goal on Vitek was no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad