Series Talk: ECSF/ADF - Columbus Blue Jackets (WC2) vs BRUINS (A2) - Series tied 2-2

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I think this will be a very tough series and I don’t underestimate Columbus at all.

Bobrovsky has been on a stretch of excellent play, against Tampa and going into the playoffs. I think we’ve got a number of guys who are banged up already and I expect this to be a very physical series. I’d be surprised if this one was boring or a quick series.

I personally fear Columbus more than any team in the east that is left . With that said I certainly feared Toronto just as much .

Reactions: pkunit

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'd dress one of Wagner/Backes over Nordstrom, but not Kuhlman to start. This isn't a knock on Nordy either, he was great last night.

Hasn't show up on the stat sheet, but Kuhlman's speed really helped the Bruins open the Leafs up a little bit in games 6 and 7.

CBJ plays that heavy game, so I think having another body who can hit on that 4th line would be helpful.

:huh::thumbd:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I personally fear Columbus more than any team in the east that is left . With that said I certainly feared Toronto just as much .

Washington would scare me more based on our awful history against them but after that a physical team like Columbus may be the toughest team to meet right now when there’s multiple players that don’t look right already.

Reactions: Boston Bruno

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Well we get to see Riley Nash I dont think he had a great yr but seems like he is one guy who started playing well in the playoffs . Last yr I thought he was great in regular season but he just never got it back in the playoffs after getting hurt . Wagner seems to be in the same type of boat this yr . I hate to see Adam mcquaid hurt but it would also hurt emotionally to watch him beating our boys up.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Rask is going to roll, I can feel it.

Also, Columbus only had 12 fights this season, shocked me. They do like to hit though. Should be a really tough fought series.

gonna be a lot of josh anderson running guys through the wall over and over. guy is a beast.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Can the Bruins please finish off this series quicker than another game 7

by that point, everyone may need wheelchair on ice

you can't go far in this tournament, going the distance too many times

Bruins hopefully win tomorrow night, because CBJ folks think they are the undisputed champs (transfer of belt) after they swept Tampa

the 2011 bruins disagree

Reactions: GabeTravels

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I need a GDT theme. We legit have no animosity with this team.

Help a girl out please

Too late for Thursday, probably, but I was thinking earlier, "What do I know about the city of Columbus?", and could really only come up with one thing. And, thus...it's time for Must See Hockey!

vs

Reactions: Alicat

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I really believe the Bruins are the best team left in the playoffs. I also believe there are 7 other teams looking around saying "..... this is it? It can be anyone, why not us?"

Pretty insane playoffs already, I don't think that lets up.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What are folks' feelings on the series through 4 games?

To my eyes, it's looked like the heavyweight bout of the post-season. Two really good teams, playing hard, hitting everything, getting great goaltending... Sometimes we carry the momentum and get sustained pressure, sometimes they carry the momentum and get sustained pressure. Good coaches on both sides...

The goaltending duel has been pretty even. I think Bobrovsky's highs are a bit higher than Rask, he makes several saves a game you don't think are possible, but his lows are also lower, allowing goals you think should never go in. Meanwhile Rask just been holding steady between very good and excellent.

It's a crying shame Pasta isn't 100%. I swear he puts on a cast before the games because it looks like he can't even feel the puck. Otherwise, I feel like the stars on both teams have shown up. The Bruins's stars may not have had the stats to show for it but they were getting chances and just getting robbed by amazing goaltending.

If there's an edge to be given to someone so far, I think it's that Columbus has been the more physical team. Don't get me wrong, the Bruins have been "all-in" on their hitting game as well, but CLB has thrown more hits in the series and they have more big bodies which lets them impose their will physically in more battles. Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, Dubois... I've actually noticed it more with the defense. Guys like Jones and Savard are able to end our offensive cycles with a shove. They knock Marchand off his skates for a second with a shove from behind or the side and for the half second while he's down and up somebody takes the puck. As much as I love Clifton (and he's thrown some monster hits), I wonder if having Kevan Miller's strength in the corners would help neutralize CLB's cycle game.

Thoughts? Adjustments Cassidy can/should make?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

To my eyes, it's looked like the heavyweight bout of the post-season. Two really good teams, playing hard, hitting everything, getting great goaltending... Sometimes we carry the momentum and get sustained pressure, sometimes they carry the momentum and get sustained pressure. Good coaches on both sides...

The goaltending duel has been pretty even. I think Bobrovsky's highs are a bit higher than Rask, he makes several saves a game you don't think are possible, but his lows are also lower, allowing goals you think should never go in. Meanwhile Rask just been holding steady between very good and excellent.

It's a crying shame Pasta isn't 100%. I swear he puts on a cast before the games because it looks like he can't even feel the puck. Otherwise, I feel like the stars on both teams have shown up. The Bruins's stars may not have had the stats to show for it but they were getting chances and just getting robbed by amazing goaltending.

If there's an edge to be given to someone so far, I think it's that Columbus has been the more physical team. Don't get me wrong, the Bruins have been "all-in" on their hitting game as well, but CLB has thrown more hits in the series and they have more big bodies which lets them impose their will physically in more battles. Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, Dubois... I've actually noticed it more with the defense. Guys like Jones and Savard are able to end our offensive cycles with a shove. They knock Marchand off his skates for a second with a shove from behind or the side and for the half second while he's down and up somebody takes the puck. As much as I love Clifton (and he's thrown some monster hits), I wonder if having Kevan Miller's strength in the corners would help neutralize CLB's cycle game.

Excellent write up/analysis Bill. I especially agree with Kevan Miller helping against this team, but I don't think it takesa hockey savant to figure that out, so don't give me any credit for seeing that. :laugh: I really like the coaching job Cassidy has done since the middle of the Toronto series. He's mixed up lines trying to get guys going, put Backes in for a bigger, more physical presence. I saw how he was being positive with guys like Pasta and Charlie at practice where they has him miked up or caught him talking on a parabolic mic or something. but he seems to be pushing the right buttons at the right time.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from sportsnet.ca:

The NHL has announced the start times for two upcoming Game 6s.

Game 6 between the Boston Bruins and Columbus Blue Jacketswill take place at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT on May 6. In Canada, the game can be seen on the CBC and Sportsnet.

The Bruins forced a Game 6 by beating the Blue Jackets 4-1 in Game 4 on Thursday. Game 5 of this series will take place at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT on May 4 and can be seen on the CBC and Sportsnet.

Game 6 between the San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche will take place at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on May 6. The game can been seen on the CBC and Sportsnet.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Bruins have been the better team through 4. Though Columbus carried play last night after the fluke Panarin goal, and Tuukka Rask was the reason we hung on.

The top line contributed 3 goals last night, which is a good sign that maybe they're waking up. Pasta is a complete mess though, he caused at least 3 odd-man rushes by fumbling the puck or falling down at the blueline. Is it his thumb or his feet? Or both? Or his brain? Something isn't right.

Even strength, Columbus hasn't generated a thing. Their only goals this series were on the powerplay or off freakish deflections - but the fact that they're getting the position to make those deflections is troubling. Defense needs to protect the front better. Offensively, the Bruins are producing quality chances, but the finish hadn't been there until last night - they hit a lot of posts or miss the net altogether. Bobrovsky was on his game in games 2 and 3, but last night looked more human. Hopefully whatever advantage the BJs had from their time off has worn down as we reach the 5th and 6th games of this series.

In a best-of-three with two of them at home, I am very confident that the Bruins finish the job here. They're the better team, they just need to reduce the turnovers. It might be gambler's fallacy to say that Columbus's absurd puck luck will regress to the mean, but you have to imagine that some of their luck is not sustainable (they've scored double-deflection goals, a shot that went off someone's backside and past Rask, a puck that bounced off the meshing, etc. this series. If that continues for a 7 game stretch while we keep hitting psots, I don't know what to say). Boston in 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad