Post-Game Talk: ECSF #1 - 5/16/13 | New York Rangers @ Boston Bruins - Damnit!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not really, I was just pointing out how bad it was and still could be, which some people seem to ignore.

I don't know why you would be surprised, it's called a "let down game" something that happens with professional athletes from time to time, he had put so much focus and energy into those elimination games that he was bound to come back down to earth for at least one game. Which is all I imagine it will be.

Please you backtracked faster than a politician on those comments because people were calling you out on it. It's nothing new, you've been exceedingly harsh on players mid game in the past because of your emotions. Not a big deal, call it what you want the fact is you seem to be more comfortable on the Rangers board bashing him.

Why does he play some of his biggest games in the playoffs? Probably because he performs well in big situations, game one of a series isn't exactly a pressure cooker, I'd rather he allow a bad goal in that game than in an elimination game.

It also has quite a bit to do with the team in front of him, neither goalie played especially well last night and Hank seemed to be fighting the puck most of the time. The Rangers could have easily won that game, Boston applied more pressure and played better in the overtime so they won, they deserved it. Hank is the least of my worries. Name me one goalie that hasn't allowed 1-2 bad goals in a series, heck even multiple times in a series. They all have goals they'd want back, the difference in some cases is that the team in front of that goalie still managed to win the game, making the mistakes matter less.

1) Ok, fair enough.

2) I know what a let down game is and if he didn't have 2 days to cool down (though that also have cooled his hot game off), I would think you're onto something. With 2 days off (an eternity in the playoffs) he should have been able to overcome any burnout.

3) I backtracked because it was a stupid post. What did you want me to do? Ignore it? How would that have looked? My question is not why he plays great in the playoffs in some games, it's why does he only seem to play above his usual regular season performance or below. Seems like it's never just his usual performance. I'd rather have him play at his usual regular season performance consistently, than be better half the games and worse the other half, I think it would improve our chances of winning the cup.

Game 1s count as much as elimination games. If he plays better in game 1s, maybe he doesn't face the elimination games.

My problem is that he gives up soft goals more frequently in the playoffs than he has in the regular season (at least the last couple of years).

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
1) Ok, fair enough.

2) I know what a let down game is and if he didn't have 2 days to cool down (though that also have cooled his hot game off), I would think you're onto something. With 2 days off (an eternity in the playoffs) he should have been able to overcome any burnout.

Agree to disagree, for a guy that doesn't get much rest and started every game down the stretch leading up to the playoffs two days isn't much. The longer you're away from the game the easier it is to lose focus as well.

Game 1s count as much as elimination games. If he plays better in game 1s, maybe he doesn't face the elimination games.

Technically sure, but if you lose game one you still have an opportunity to redeem yourself. The pressure isn't the same in game 1 as it is in game 7.

My problem is that he gives up soft goals more frequently in the playoffs than he has in the regular season (at least the last couple of years).

Are you sure about this? Do you have a spreadsheet of all his "soft goals" throughout his career? Otherwise I would assume he let's in a relatively equal number of soft goals during the regular season and playoffs, just that maybe we notice them a little more in the playoffs?

If he was letting in a lot more soft goals in the playoffs his numbers wouldn't be so good...

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Hank isn't solely the problem but:

1)I'd rather take Brodeur in his prime. With that said, Hank is elite. We wouldn't be focusing on his play if the Rangers could score on a regular basis.

2)The way the PP is going The team might as well decline the PP.

3)The penalty kill right now shouldn't give up more than 2 goals a game.

4)The team is playing with a "superstar" that is now playing 4th line, a second offensive threat whose role is to find the open man, and a captain who isn't exactly hot offensively.

5)The Rangers are playing without 1 top D man, playing with a CBJ marginal Dman, a 6th Dman who truly is marginal but it's all you have, and a 23 yr that lacks a consistency from game to game.

Yet despite all the issues the team has tons of heart and I believe over achieves. They are right there in the Boston series and it's very winnable. However, I believe that the holes will be highlighted should they get to Pittsburgh.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Blackburn, Dunham, Holmqvist, McClennan, Markkanen, Labarbera, Weekes, ValleyCat...

Which of those would you guys rather see instead of Hank?

Some of you might want to switch to bottled water, there is a significant issue in large cities what with prescription drug residuals and all.

You forgot Jason Muzzatti.

Wow those were some dark days.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

1)I'd rather take Brodeur in his prime. With that said, Hank is elite. We wouldn't be focusing on his play if the Rangers could score on a regular basis.

4)The team is playing with a "superstar" that is now playing 4th line, a second offensive threat whose role is to find the open man, and a captain who isn't exactly hot offensively.

5)The Rangers are playing without 1 top D man, playing with a CBJ marginal Dman, a 6th Dman who truly is marginal but it's all you have, and a 23 yr that lacks a consistency from game to game.

Yet despite all the issues the team has tons of heart and I believe over achieves. They are right there in the Boston series and it's very winnable. However, I believe that the holes will be highlighted should they get to Pittsburgh.

I'd rather take Hasek in his prime, but when life gives you Lundqvist...

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
If we're hand picking goalies I'd like to take prime Hasek and Roy frankenstein'd with a touch of prime Brodeur thrown in. Thanks

*Bob Richards*

Guys like Hasek and Roy are in a tier of their own IMO. Brodeur is looking up.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I remember being 14 and going to Mike Richter Night at the garden. They were playing Minnesota and Dunham gave up 4 of the ********* goals ever and we lost 4-3 after being up 3-1 I think and everyone in the Garden was so mad. Here we are honoring the best goalie we ever had, who won us the cup and Dunham ***** the bed.

That year prior to the lockout was BRUTAL. It was like The Gong Show and MXC had a baby and taught it to play hockey.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
what i think about last night's game:

hank did not lose us the game, he just didnt win it for us. losing a game for your team is what fleury twice did against the isles. winning/stealing a game is like what hank did in game 6. not winning the game imo is what hank did last night and in games 3 and 4 of last series. not bad (fleury is bad) not great (like how he was in game 6) but simply average.

poor moore. feel bad he has to play with eminger.

wtf happened to boyle on the game tying goal?

now onto the bigger problem, richards, nash, and callahan. nash was invisible last night. didnt notice him doing anything great or even good, but it didnt look like he was playing for the bruins either. richards and callahan were not invisible. those two might as well have thrown on bruins jerseys last night. richards with blind a trough the legs pass to the bruins point man (boychuck?) who rang it off the post, that was inches away from being a beautiful setup for a rocket. that is not okay in playoff hockey. cally couldnt hold onto a ****ing puck. he would take it away from them and then either over skate it or played with one hand on his stick. every time he got it in the defensive zone he couldnt clear, it was off his stick within seconds after he got it. it felt like every time callahan got the puck he turned it over.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
on the topic of creating goalies, i would like richters peak performance with lundqvists consistency and a splash of tretiak

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Overachieves? You're kidding me.

This team underachieves for a living. Stepan and Nash are the only two players on this entire team that stepped it up from last season (not including guys like Brassard, Staal and Zuccarello for obvious reasons).

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Nash needs to wake up from his hibernation and start setting up his teammates. If he is getting double-teamed or has Big Z on him, he needs to start setting guys up, no more of that puck hog BS, he's not getting anything done playing like that. Time to start playing as a team. Even Pierre was ripping into the team last night questioning whats up with the offense...the PP is unacceptable... 6%....I still can't believe that.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
What the hell is wrong with you people
I know right? How could they have forgotten J.S. Giguere when talking playoff hockey?

J.S.-Giguere-Anaheim-Ducks-Conne-Smythe-winner.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad