ECQF Gm #4: Capitals @ Maple Leafs - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Another year, same story. They're never gonna win anything with that core, it's obvious.

OMG you're so out to lunch, its a young ***** team with 10 rookies in the lineup. That team went from DFL to playoffs in 1 year. Deal with it.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Because of the refs saving and assisting in goals for them.

Do you know anything about the rule, or video review in general? You are just going on about nothing, and yet Leaf fans are the whiners?

FWIW, I believe it was a good goal. Having said that, Lee shouldn't have waved it off so emphatically, because now he has to have evidence that there was no goalie contact. In fact, there was. Look at the video. Backstrom does indeed bump Andersen before Andersen grabs him, so there is no conclusive evidence there wasn't goalie contact. That is probably what Lee saw.

Now, if Lee hadn't waved the goal off and then looked at the review, it has to be conclusive the other way, and the goal probably ends up standing.

It wasn't like the Kadri goal in Game 1 when he literally did not touch Holtby. Backstrom makes contact with Andersen, and then Andersen holds Backstrom . So, because the goal is immediately waved off, there is no conclusive proof that Backstrom did not interfere with Andersen. In fact, he does make contact.

Did Backstrom's initial contact affect the goal? Probably not. Was it the "wrong call? Probably. Did Backstrom bump into Andersen at the start of the play? Yes, he did.

I believe it should have been a goal, but only because Lee shouldn't have waved it off so quickly. That said, he saw contact and had a millisecond to make a call. He probably chose the wrong one. Get over it.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
What the hell is this Bill Waters guys problem with Alex Ovechkin on the post game?

He has know idea who Ovechkin is and he just continues to rip on his character night after night.

Unbelievable.

Bill is just a grumpy old man. Don't worry about him :laugh::laugh:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
No, I am making stuff up like you.

So, the Leafs wouldn't have scored another goal, or two? That's what you are saying? Because it would have been 5-2?

Using your logic, Oshie wouldn't have scored the fifth Caps goal. But, really, it would have been the sixth, right? Or maybe the seventh?

See what I did there?

Idk what would have happened. But the Caps would have had a 3 goal lead again, which shifts the odds in their favor dramatically. Like by a massive amount.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm surprised at how bad we've struggled early at home
It's hard to win when that's happening

It's not surprising given the number of rookies on the team. I'm actually happy that 2 of the next 3 games are in Washington. The Caps are obviously the favourites but I think we will play better on the road.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You'd expect this kind of effort if the series is like 3-1 in your favour, not when you're the underdog that has eked out a series lead. Holtby can only look mortal for so long...

There was always a chance of a bit of a let down after game three with a young team
That mixed with a desperate Caps team and bad things happen

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
good for washington for making this a series against the WC2 team, even if it did take a flukey goal to get there

Says the fan of a team who scored on a dozen deflections in this series and were allowed to stay alive longer after an Oscar-worthy performance by Andersen on the "goalie interference". This game was only made close because of the odd bounces and the Caps being undisciplined.

29 giveaways by the Leafs, 4 each by Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick. Can't win a game with that many giveaways.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
What the hell is this Bill Waters guys problem with Alex Ovechkin on the post game?

He has know idea who Ovechkin is and he just continues to rip on his character night after night.

Unbelievable.

Ovechkin needs to score 3 goals a game and get the GWG. Get with the program.

If only Andersen was even mediocre tonight this would have at least gone to OT. Two back breaking goals after we got within 1.

Oh well, on to the next one.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Says the fan of a team who scored on a dozen deflections in this series and were allowed to stay alive longer after an Oscar-worthy performance by Andersen on the "goalie interference". This game was only made close because of the odd bounces and the Caps being undisciplined.

29 giveaways by the Leafs, 4 each by Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick. Can't win a game with that many giveaways.

we're the 8th seed up against the President's trophy winning team. You're right though, Caps deserved to win this game, they did make it closer than they should've though. It makes me cringe to see Caps fans still acting like this series would be over if not for luck/refs as well

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
It wasn't barely. Team plays totally different leading by 2 with under 5 left than one. Just because the Leafs potted one with 26 seconds left didn't make it a spueaker.

Really? The Leafs scored three goals in about 45 seconds a couple of weeks ago.

They had the puck in the Caps end in the final seconds and were one shot away from tying it.

Seems pretty close to me.

The Leafs can't play much worse than they did tonight, and the Caps can't have a much better first period, yet the final score was 5-4. Or, in your world 5-3 and DanZ's 6-4, but you know what I mean.

nhlfan1991

Apr 14, 2014
The better team won tonight. It's sad that the Refs have to help the leafs so much. If the games were called evenly this series would have been over by now

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
On the one hand he's someone to laugh at, but on the other hand, he had a significant position in the Leafs front office not too long ago.

And now he can't even get into the building. :laugh: He is good for a laugh though as you said

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I think Eller edged Andersen for the Oscar. Watching the replays, he sold that first PP HARD. Good for him to go down on all fours, refs had to notice that.

Andersen was interfered with and took advantage of it. All goalies do it. Holtby was whining about a goaltender interference that wasn't even close at the end of the game.

Every team does it, no one is innocent.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think Eller edged Andersen for the Oscar. Watching the replays, he sold that first PP HARD. Good for him to go down on all fours, refs had to notice that.

Andersen was interfered with and took advantage of it. All goalies do it. Holtby was whining about a goaltender interference that wasn't even close at the end of the game.

Every team does it, no one is innocent.

Yea Holby crying hot tears about interference on that play was quite amusing.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
At least Matthews showed up and scored again. McDavid the other night just floated the whole game in a 7-0 pounding against the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad