Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - THANK YOU JACK EDWARDS - Series tied 3-3

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
The McAvoy critcism is over the top IMO. And I say that as a poster who was ripping him for being an idiot after the first goal.

He was out there trying to make things happen with a roster that was seemingly incapable of executing anything. Yeah, he took a huge risk on the second Leafs goal with two minutes left in the game. Of course he did. They are down and there are two minutes left before it goes to a game 7. He wanted to take the guy off the puck. I've got no issue with that.

I don't see McAvoy as "a problem". Build a better roster.
McAvoy made bad decisions on every Toronto game winning goal. He made mistakes on all two of the Toronto goals tonight just to cover for Geekie's goal.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Something tells me there may be a visitor in the Bruins locker room. It won’t be Razor but perhaps his good buddy and former roommate. ;)
If it isn’t Neely ripping them, Bergeron isn’t going to scare them. Hugs?

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Are people really blaming the refs? The bruins got out worked and hustled. The offense has been a complete no show for two games.

1 goal in 6 periods + overtime.

Embarrassing
I just think it's typical that the decisive goal happened right after the most blatantly obvious major boarding penalty went uncalled, but it's not the refs' fault that this team can't get a single goal past Joseph friggin' Woll in 59:59.9

This team is mentally soft, all the refs do is smooth it along

Widdlez

Da Broons.
Apr 4, 2011
remember when Marchand celebrating said “it’s over in 5” a few games ago.

Embarrassing stuff.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Really though, I don't know how much is heart and how much is just that they're not a great team. It's a roster full of holes.
Yup. But at the same time 2-1 games are built for 3rd-line grinders (I’m looking at you Coyle and Zacha), of which we have myriad, yet here we are getting out-grinded (?) by the fricken’ Toronto Maple leafs. Infuriating. Out-f***ing-grind them why dontcha?!

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Less than a week ago the Bruins played the Leafs in Toronto in G4 and delivered one of their best playoff performances in quite some time. A comprehensive effort – solid defense, timely goals both even strength and on the PP, a 3rd period clinic that thoroughly controlled the play, gave the Leafs basically no hope of getting back into the game and just about broke their spirits. Toronto looked a rabble, reduced to squabbling on their own bench.

Fast forward a very short distance to now and we’ve seen two of the worst playoff efforts in, well, who knows how long. Zero jump, no intensity, outplayed, outworked, playing scared, stupid, disjointed hockey. How can a team turn to jello so quickly?

There are no excuses. Oh the refs were against us, the league wants a G7, the coach makes silly selections, blah, blah, blah. No, just no. Don’t give these guys an out. Against a serious team like the Panthers, or to go back in time to the SCFs against the Blues, maybe such arguments hold more weight. But this is against the milquetoast Maple Leafs, a team with its own scars and playing without their best player and with their young backup goal in net. That the Bruins can’t beat this lot is bad enough, that they lose in such miserable fashionable in 1-2 goal games where their goalie gives them every chance, while delivering new lows like 1-shot periods along the way, is pathetic.

People want to hang too much of this on Monty but I don’t really buy it. He’s made a couple of errors, sure, has some other arguable flaws, but he’s the same guy who coached this team to 3 solid victories in the first 4 games. Cleary the tactics are in place that allow this team to win games of hockey, clearly the talent is there to do so, regardless of whether this or that particular depth player is dressed. But while he can preach mental toughness and resilience in his charges, he can’t force it. So to me that’s a distraction or looking for something or someone easy to hang the blame on.

Same for Sweeney at this point. Whatever you think of his long-term record, and whatever myself and plenty of others have said about the compromised state of this transitional roster, what’s happening now isn’t about ability or the intricacies of effective roster construction. It’s between the ears of the players on the ice. And that’s straight up not good enough.

Game 7 to come. Perhaps they win, perhaps not. Even if they do, unless they suddenly deliver some kind of heroics against Florida, what’s happened in the last few days can’t be forgotten. Management need to have a good hard look at this roster, at just about every player, and determine who really has the stones for serious hockey and big-boy plays, and who doesn’t. The culture, whatever that is exactly, in that locker room is deficient. It needs serious work.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Really though, I don't know how much is heart and how much is just that they're not a great team. It's a roster full of holes.

They've got the same team that started the series off with a bang and whooped a**. They just hit game 5 and lost all emotion and effort. Absolutely brutal games. At this point the only way I can really explain it is that they choke.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized. Just that some of it goes too far. I wish he was playing better, but I also don't think he's mailing it in and I especially don't think he needs to be traded.
He has been disappointing. He isn't mailing it, and he's a top 10D in this league. He needs to play better. Guys like DeBrusk and Carlo have shown up. McAvoy, not so much.

Right now, I am questioning the next crop of core players on this team. Those questions may be gone or answered after game 7.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Losing this series was always a possibility but losing it after being up 3-1 is inexcusable and an enormous black eye to this team. If they fold and lose this series’s after last years loss it’s a big head hanger and heads should roll and a rebuild should be in effect pronto.
I think that’s what makes this different for me. I oringally picked it as Leafs in 6 as I thought their offense was too much for us. I cannot believe how bad their PP is. But being up 3-1 after the meltdown the Leafs had in game 4……just makes this all hard to swallow. Let’s see what Saturday brings but man when we struggle to get shots and have no real finish, it is not looking too good gang……

Reactions: Carl Hungus and TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad