GDT: ECQF GAME 5 4/30 7:11 PM - Jack Edwards’ final home game broadcast - NESN, NESN 4K, ESPN, CBC, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM - B's lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
A lot of speculation. The majority of stars play 80+ games. People just hate that he was close to 70.

Pastrnak played 82 games. Marchand played 82 games. MacKinnon played 82 games.

I dont understand this idea that star players shouldn’t play all 82 games.

Its stupid. Play all 82 every year. Are people blaming Ovechkin playing too many games and losing their series? Did Ovechkin play in game 82? Did he only play because they were in a playoff race until game 82? Has he ever played in game 82 before in his career?

You could get injured in game 82, you could get injured in game 1 of the playoffs (or game 2, etc)

These teams don’t charge less for ticket prices on game 82, do they?

Play all the games, if you’re able. Don’t be a Mark Stone

Reactions: Summer Rose

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I dont understand this idea that star players shouldn’t play all 82 games.

Its stupid. Play all 82 every year. Are people blaming Ovechkin playing too many games and losing their series? Did Ovechkin play in game 82? Did he only play because they were in a playoff race until game 82? Has he ever played in game 82 before in his career?

You could get injured in game 82, you could get injured in game 1 of the playoffs (or game 2, etc)

These teams don’t charge less for ticket prices on game 82, do they?

Play all the games, if you’re able. Don’t be a Mark Stone
Disagree. I’m all for calculated risks when the time is right. Chasing a 70th goal with the Bruins waiting on the other side just feels shortsighted to me

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
I pray the GD refs stay out of this game and let the teams decide this, not like last nights debacle in fla.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Disagree. I’m all for calculated risks when the time is right. Chasing a 70th goal with the Bruins waiting on the other side just feels shortsighted to me

So what's the argument - Matthews playing Game 81 the day after Pastrnak and Marchand played Game 82 was shortsighted?

If Matthews had 40 goals, no one would care that he played 82 games. People aren't upset about MacKinnon or last year's Conn Smythe winner playing 82 games.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
An important NHL playoffs artifact will be In The building tonight
Screenshot_20240430_181914_Google.jpg

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Curious to see how Leafs play without much expectations to win series now. Boston takes series, but curious to see how much fight Leafs show tonight.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So what's the argument - Matthews playing Game 81 the day after Pastrnak and Marchand played Game 82 was shortsighted?
If you watched the Bruins last 2 games, you would have seen that they were "playing" and not playing. Going through the motions just trying to avoid injury, unlike last season. They learned their lesson

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

If Matthews had 40 goals, no one would care that he played 82 games. People aren't crying about MacKinnon or last year's Conn Smythe winner playing 82 games.
There were plenty of people saying Boston should have been resting guys the last two weeks of the regular season. They still had seeding to play for. Toronto was locked in where they were.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you watched the Bruins last 2 games, you would have seen that they were "playing" and not playing. Going through the motions just trying to avoid injury, unlike last season. They learned their lesson

The Leafs were also. They were playing shinny out there.

There were plenty of people saying Boston should have been resting guys the last two weeks of the regular season. They still had seeding to play for. Toronto was locked in where they were.

They didn't though so it's a moot point.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The bruins also trotted Bergeron out at the end of the regular season last year, he got banged up, and the bruins were ripped apart for it. We’ve already been through it. Now, Toronto is going through it

The Leafs were also. They were playing shinny out there.

They didn't though so it's a moot point.
It’s not a moot point. You’re saying that Marchand and Pastrnak playing game 82 wasn’t an issue for bruins fans. I’m telling you it was. Luckily nothing happened.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The bruins also trotted Bergeron out at the end of the regular season last year, he got banged up, and the bruins were ripped apart for it. We’ve already been through it. Now, Toronto is going through it

This only makes sense if you're arguing they got injured in Game 82. No one has said that's the case. A lot of speculation to unnecessarily hate on players playing 82 Games.

It’s not a moot point. You’re saying that Marchand and Pastrnak playing game 82 wasn’t an issue for bruins fans. I’m telling you it was. Luckily nothing happened.

Okay - so you don't like players playing 82 games.

It goes both ways though, lots of players don't want to be rusty before the playoffs. The NHL didn't even release the playoff schedule until after the regular season was over.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

If Matthews had 40 goals, no one would care that he played 82 games. People aren't upset about MacKinnon or last year's Conn Smythe winner playing 82 games.
Agreed.

It's a given that Matthews is not going to perform in the playoffs, so why even try to rest him? Makes no sense.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This only makes sense if you're arguing they got injured in Game 82. No one has said that's the case. A lot of speculation to unnecessarily hate on players playing 82 Games.
Idk when guys got hurt. All i know is they weren’t well enough to play through round 1. Leaf land will be second guessing these things all summer. Have fun with that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Idk when guys got hurt. All i know is they weren’t well enough to play through round 1. Leaf land will be second guessing these things all summer. Have fun with that.

Would they? What if it comes out they got injured in the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad