Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 4 - THE BEAR dances in an empty Maple Leaf Square - BRUINS 6 TML 4 ( Series tied 2-2 )

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I disagree:
Rask was 28th in Save % amongst goalies that played more than 10 games in 2018-2019. He is not an elite goalie this year and deserves the criticism.... he hasn't played particularly well in playoffs over his career. Until he has at least a few standout games in the playoffs the criticism is warranted IMO.

I agree that every shot shouldn't be diagnosed BUT he clearly has been a Vezina caliber goalie before so we know he is capable of it so we can expect better.

If we lose the series it won't be because of Rask. I can agree with that. However, to say that there isn't more to be desired is a little bit bogus in my mind. He has a big big contract and hasn't quite lived up to it. Halak had a better year statistically than Rask so I don't see why its a crime to suggest maybe he gets a crack at it.
This is a horrible take. He has .924 career save percentage in the playoffs and a 2.28 GAA in 69 games. He has had 2 years in which he has had an under 2 GAA. Also only once in 5 attempts has he played less than 10 games in the playoffs. His best playoff year was 12-13 when he had a .940 save %, a 1.88 GAA, and 3 shutouts in 22 games. As for Halak his best year was 14-15 when he had a .926 save %, a 2.30 GAA, and no shutouts in 7 games. He has also only played double digit games once in the playoffs.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Listening to toronto 590am.. their actually complaining about Marchand NOT doing extracurricular activities after the whistle. They genuinely are disapointed with brad, very odd.
They have mastered the art of complaining.
And they wonder why non-leafs fans hate the Leafs. I guess that just another reason to complain...

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You know, sometimes the goalie plays well, and the other teams score.

Goal 1: Bruins PP, they moved the puck quickly, and Mac finds a seam, gets the pass and one times it.
Goal 2 : Brads in the crease, gets a great pass and tips it in
Goal 3 : Bang bang pass and Tip in
Goal 4: Pasta one timer, no need to say any more.
Goal 5: Anderson had like 3 or 4 people screening him, never saw it.

Which ones did he play poorly ?

All

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Nope. Zero chance he would've been out there for the full 2 mins, or even close, in a normal penalty kill.

Granted, and tbh I don't recall whether he served the full 2 min. Point being, though, serving a penalty tends to have an impact on a player's TOI, nest-ce pas? At least accounts for some of his decreased TOI against average.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jack Edwards himself was on a morning show down here asking about Bergy`s ice time and it wasn`t broached prior to him hitting the air

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Granted, and tbh I don't recall whether he served the full 2 min. Point being, though, serving a penalty tends to have an impact on a player's TOI, nest-ce pas? At least accounts for some of his decreased TOI against average.

The penalty probably cost Bergeron 30-45 seconds of ice time for the game

In Games 1-3 Bergeron averaged
20:00

Game 4
He played 14:30

In what was a do or die game basically

Seems very weird your best player and your franchise player plays 5:30 less than he had the previous 3 games if he was perfectly healthy

Reactions: Strafer

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Oh but wait, resident doctor and medical chief @RedeyeRocketeer states that Bergeron is clearly injured. :sarcasm:

It's amazing how so many people here worry about playing doctor first and foremost and make all these statements rather than actually waiting for the games to unfold. Bergeron could just as easily caught the same thing that afflicted Mojo.

But sure, let the "doctor" continue to chime in. Pfft.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bruins are lucky that the leafs are a bad team. Bruins play badly ..and it is 2-2....
The bruins team of this season would beat them on 4
I just don t understand why bruins play so bad...???
Bergy is hurt ?? Ill ??

I am a big rask fan but seriously he need to be a lot better
He look too deep in his net and so insecure...every shots make me nervous
I look a bit idiot why my many coyle critics...he play very well
I have some peace when i think of all who always blame krejci .....they look worse than me ))))
Let s hope to.see bergy return to bergy and rask find his game
They way both are playing we can may be beat a bad team like toronto but after it will be fast exit !!!
Go bruins

I'm just guessing (and I might be wrong) that some of the B's have been dealing with a flu bug.

I have a feeling they will look better next game

Reactions: since76

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Oh but wait, resident doctor and medical chief @RedeyeRocketeer states that Bergeron is clearly injured. :sarcasm:

It's amazing how so many people here worry about playing doctor first and foremost and make all these statements rather than actually waiting for the games to unfold. Bergeron could just as easily caught the same thing that afflicted Mojo.

But sure, let the "doctor" continue to chime in. Pfft.

Not to get in the middle of this love-fest, but below is the last post I saw him make on the matter. I see nothing wrong with his qualifiers in bold.

I'm talking about instances mid-forecheck, where Patrice always finishes his check. He's putting his hand out and pulling up now to prevent the impact. It happened most of the game. Anyway we're bound to hear about it soon if it's an injury. With some luck it's Mojo's flu.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Listening to toronto 590am.. their actually complaining about Marchand NOT doing extracurricular activities after the whistle. They genuinely are disapointed with brad, very odd.

Most Canadian sports media, Canadian hockey teams and their fans are friggin crazy...(especially this time of year)

How do I know this???..... I live in Canada

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
The penalty probably cost Bergeron 30-45 seconds of ice time for the game

In Games 1-3 Bergeron averaged
20:00

Game 4
He played 14:30

In what was a do or die game basically

Seems very weird your best player and your franchise player plays 5:30 less than he had the previous 3 games if he was perfectly healthy
Score effects

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
His highest TOI so far was game 2. They entered the third period up by 3. The score didn't have any effect on his ice time that night

I didn't see anything that leads me to believe he's injured, but the drop in ice time is a little odd. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was sick
Sick is more likely if it's true that Kuhlman was also sick. And I also think DK was just flat out having a very good game and deserved to be playing in the 3rd.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
With it being Easter Sunday I am sure a lot of us are anxious to hear the time. I would prefer a later game but will watch it no matter what. Bruins Playoff hockey comes first, Easter second LOL, and my family knows it . Hell I missed one Bs game around Christmas and still followed it on my phone under the table at a restaurant.
I think you have your priorites in the right order. I :clap:you and :bow: to you.

Reactions: Zillah

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The server looks at my hat and cried - 'We hate Boston more than Montreal, do you understand what that means?"

I replied 'We now hate Toronto fans more than Habs fans, do you understand what THAT means'. :DD

I have to come back here in 48 hours and my only wish is we lead the series 3-2. I do not want the Leafs to have the chance to knock us out in Toronto.

28452980_NT0dTlLlCDb8Wdptn2ZQ-xfuRwYrwn7O9icjS5Nq64Y.jpg
Holy moley, watch out for spittle!

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yes he is.

I like him, but he just can't keep up with the play, he still has the high hockey IQ and the will, but unfortunately his legs have failed him and against a speedy team like the Leafs your going to be a hindrance more often than his an asset.

That’s the general perception around here for sure. But...

How bad did he play the last two games? What does the eye test say?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
How would you approach teasing out whether Bergeron's TOI was a result of line shuffling or vice versa (i.e. the case in which Cassidy was forced to shuffle lines to compensate for a Bergeron malady)? Between Cassidy's aggressive on-the-fly line combination changes and a fair number of PKs sprinkled in to the latter stages of the game, I could see that fourteen and change merely being a coincidence.
Not buying it, he would be the first choice not the last. His minutes were down for a reason and had zero to do with his play.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
We were outplayed, out shot, out chanced and out hit last night in a big way and came out with the win. Call me crazy, but isn't that the definition of stealing a win?
It was an even game. I would argue the Bs had more quality chances. Rask didn’t steal this game, more like leafs were out scored in a high scoring game. Bruins won despite Rask’s ordinary game.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
This is a horrible take. He has .924 career save percentage in the playoffs and a 2.28 GAA in 69 games. He has had 2 years in which he has had an under 2 GAA. Also only once in 5 attempts has he played less than 10 games in the playoffs. His best playoff year was 12-13 when he had a .940 save %, a 1.88 GAA, and 3 shutouts in 22 games. As for Halak his best year was 14-15 when he had a .926 save %, a 2.30 GAA, and no shutouts in 7 games. He has also only played double digit games once in the playoffs.
Good points, stats back it up, but the amount of games he played in the playoffs has something to do with the teams you play on. Halak never played for a Bruin caliber team. His best run was with an underdog Montreal team that made the conference finals. He was on fire and main reason they made it that far, pushing Price to backup duty that playoffs. But yeah, Rask doesn’t deserve to be sat yet.

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad