ECQF GAME 4 Ottawa (2) at BRUINS (1) 7:30 PM | NESN, USA, SN, TVAS, WBZ=FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson is the most valuable defenseman by a mile, and completes the holy trinity with McDavid and Crosby as the most valuable players in the game.

His dominance over his peers is as big as, if not bigger than Crosby's domination over forwards.

i heard he wasn't even top 5 in his position.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Personally, I like the idea that they get as many calls right as they can, but I understand why some people don't like the review.

I don't like the way slashing (and breaking) the stick seems to be an automatic penalty, or the puck over the glass penalty (I think it should be the same as an icing, no line change aloud after clearing it over the glass), but it is what it is.

That was a pretty tense game though. lots of quality chances (particularly in the 1st period), far more than you'd expect in a 1 nothing game.

I think my bone to pick is that when you need 60fps cameras to determine if the player was offside by his skate being 0.1mm off the ice, then it's ridiculous to make that illegal, if all he hadto do was keep his skate down a little lower. It's not like it affected the play at all.

Now if you have guys cherry picking,that's what the offside call is REALLY about.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You don't know that.

We are missing 2 of our top D-men. Any team with this amount of injuries would have a tough time.

Karlsson and Ryan have come to play though, so you're right, it might not change anything, but take away key players from your team and I bet you'd feel bad too.

I am a Sens fans but the Bruins are playing great to a man through missing tons of important guys. So are the Sens.

This is an awesome series because both teams are playing well and like they are supposed to play and you get a whole series of great playoff hockey.

Neither team has screwed up or played bad or not been good. Close series and I am grateful the Sens got up 3-1.

I would rather win versus a team that is playing well than a team that is imploding and losing it's game.

3-1 is huge to come back from. But the vets on the Bruins are not going to get intimidated or start freaking out. It will become harder for the Sens to win the 4th game not easier.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm laughing at your assertion that the play continued for 90 seconds after entry into the zone, not your opinion. Apologies if you thought I was dismissing it.

With that said, split second offside calls are made every game, virtually every offsides call is a split second decision. Getting right is ultimately the goal, and weren't Bruins fans upset with how poorly officiated the last game was? My only issue with the reviews are how long they can take and the fact that they don't have super high res cameras.

But agree to disagree, I guess.

I know this play didn't continue for 90 seconds, what was it 15-20 seconds? I was just using that as an arbitrary number, should have been clearer.

One of the things I like the most about hockey is the speed of the game and as much as I b**ch about the officiating, the offsides is something they typically do an excellent job with. Most of these reviews involve plays that are very, very close and I would rather not have them reviewed at all, if I had choice.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
i heard he wasn't even top 5 in his position.

Wish we had HFBoards back in the days of Orr, Potvin, Lidstrom in his prime etc.

Defenseman scores points? That must mean he's not good defensively?
Forward on the third line doesn't score points? That must mean he has Selke calibre defense (looking at you Couturier fans).

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I know this play didn't continue for 90 seconds, what was it 15-20 seconds? I was just using that as an arbitrary number, should have been clearer.

One of the things I like the most about hockey is the speed of the game and as much as I b**ch about the officiating, the offsides is something they typically do an excellent job with. Most of these reviews involve plays that are very, very close and I would rather not have them reviewed at all, if I had choice.

Can we talk about this uncalled interference now:

Pyatt's dead, so I demand justice.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Karlsson is the most valuable defenseman by a mile, and completes the holy trinity with McDavid and Crosby as the most valuable players in the game.

His dominance over his peers is as big as, if not bigger than Crosby's domination over forwards.

I disagree. I still just don't think he's that amazing... He's very good, I'd love him on the bruins though but he's only good, but not a generational talent like the other two... sorry. He's exposing a pathetic bruins defense and has made a handful of bad turnovers...

McDavid and Crosby are in another league compared to karlsson.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Agreed. Like Crosby gets pushed each year by guys like Kane, Benn, Malkin/Ovy, ect, Karlsson faces stiff competition from his peers, and taking home the hardware is not guaranteed by any means.

But guys like Crosby and Karlsson (and McD of course) just have "it". They can do things that no one else can with their anticipation and vision. They read the play and think the game better than everyone else on the ice.

They make everyone else around them better in ways that no other players can do. That's why they are the best of the best.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I disagree. I still just don't think he's that amazing... He's very good, I'd love him on the bruins though but he's only good, but not a generational talent like the other two... sorry. He's exposing a pathetic bruins defense and has made a handful of bad turnovers...

You have to realize that Karlsson himself isn't 100%. His consistency since entering the league has been phenomenal. Leading your team in scoring as a D in this era is ridiculous.

He's played under 3-4 different coaches all with different philosophies and his production doesn't even take a hit. That seems like a generational talent to me.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa

Did you get into the bottle early? :naughty:

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa

Question for you. Would it have made a difference had it been a referee's decision or called down to the ice from the control centre like they would on a goal redirected with a skate or a potential tip above the crossbar? I feel like it's no different other than it being a coaches 'challenge' which I don't like for the reasons mentioned earlier.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It more or less has no impact on the end result. Also Ottawa had mutliple chances to get that puck out of the zone after the offsides. I'd prefer the rule only is valid on a straight in play and not when the defending teams fails to clear the zone 3 times.

I have to disagree, you either have this challenge rule for offside or you don't. You can't make exceptions like you're doing, its way too grey.

I am fine, however, getting rid of the offside challenge completely.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

You seriously believe that or is this just some Bruin fan angst against the team they are playing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looked like he hit the body first then continued through to the head (which is legal). It was textbook interference though. When teams win, their fans tend to complain less about these things.

I wouldn't call it an illegal hit to the head, but he definately got a lot of head with that hit. I suspect it's a concussion.

Agreed about fans complaining less with their team wins though, and about your earlier comment about it not typically getting called even though it's clearly interference. I really don't like those hits either.

In the end, the D is aloud to brace for a hit, but Pyatt was completely unsuspecting there, which made it a dangerous hit imo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Looked like he hit the body first then continued through to the head (which is legal). It was textbook interference though. When teams win, their fans tend to complain less about these things.

I know we won the game so we're not complaining, but Pyatt is a staple on our PK and 3rd line. Losing him is big for us. WOuld be nice to see Miller get a fine or someting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce