Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 3 - Weeping and Crying in Maple Leaf Square in the springtime air - BRUINS 4 Toronto 2 ( B's lead series 2-1 )

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Pavlov's dog.

Never fails.

What's worse is that I doubt Sunny Jim will respond in kind. Which, you know, he might as well.

There's little to lose in doing so, but it's unlikely he will.

It's kind of like a passive power play, when, for whatever reason, no one shoots the puck on net. They could. It's pretty simple, yes? But they don't.

I don't understand it, but they don't. And that, to me, is Montgomery.

He's not Craig Berube. He's not John Tortorella. He's not even Sheldon Keefe.

He's Sunny Jim.
Crapping on Montgomery because he's not a whiny baby whining to the press about the reffing is a hell of a take.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sheldon Berube Keefe working the refs thru the media is priceless when it’s Leaf goonage that largely has them down in the series.
I think Leafs mngt did recognize that more grit was needed and they went and got it. Problem is, it`s a balance , Reeves laid some big hits out last night and got the crowd going which is what a 4th liner should be doing but ultimately, we saw in game 1 how the B`s can get under the skin of someone like Domi and then last night with Bert, Marchand literally renting space in his head

Keefe is a mouth breather who , like his predecessor, still hasn`t figured out that coaching some form of defensive responsibility is an absolute must to taste playoff success, let him talk

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
This is 100% where me and my hard core Bruins buds all are at

We aren’t unanimous on much but Heinen we land where you posted

I can’t believe anyone not wanting to bring back

He’s not going to cost much and lost on most people is if not him the player replacing is not doing it for free - also you usually get what you pay for
Agreed. Not a long-term top-6 solution, but he plays his role very well and can be moved up in a pinch and still produce.

Had an incredible shift where he calmed everything down after the Leafs tied it and nearly scored another garbage goal, took it up the ice, won a board battle, and set Marchand up for his 1st goal.

Definitely getting a pay raise after this season, but if the price is right, give me the sure thing.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Crapping on Montgomery because he's not a whiny baby whining to the press about the reffing is a hell of a take.
I prefer my coaches to complain to the refs when they meet after every game versus going to the media. Charon is a terrible ref but you tell him that to his face and not via a third party where shit will get twisted and become a distraction.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hate to be negative after a win but that Lohrei turnover in the third is unacceptable. Leafs capitalize on that 9 times out of 10.

Luckily we had Marchy go and score seconds later so everything is sunshine and rainbows around here. But the zone exits need work. I have to think Gryz factors back in.
I get it. I thought the kid had an excellent first ever NHL playoff game but there were one or two bumps. Mostly because he was too aggressive attacking/pinching. I think coaching will adjust that.

But keep in mind, he was replacing Gryz. I love Gryz, nice kid, and a gamer. However, he is not physically built for this style of playoff hockey. We've seen it for several years now.

So which would you rather have. Mistakes by Gryz that impact puck possession and puck movement - which is what he's their for. Or mistakes by Lohrei that lead to turnovers because of him being more aggressive moving puck up ice? For me having Lohrei in over Gryz is the absolute way to go.

Reactions: Gordoff

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Lohrei or Shattmypants - You cant play both IMO. Also dont get me started when they were on the ice together for that one shift. Monty made sure that didnt happen again.

Lohrei had some holy **** scary moments last night. That Marchand goal almost didnt happen cause Lohrei gave it right to a Leaf out front of Sway and got bailed out. We are talking completely differently today about his game if that happened. Also the two penalties like them or not. Its funny how when Gryz crosschecks a guy out front and gets called, its all Gryz being bad. But when Lohrei does it, the refs are being soft.

Shattmypants could be faulted for the Knies goal albeit a nice pass by Marner. Shatt was caught in no mans land and instead of picking up Knies or the shooter, he opted to do nothing. Also of course played 10 mins total cause there wasnt any PP time.

Lohrei has bounced back from performances like that before, and of course is a kid. Id give him another crack but buddy your leash is short. Shatt can sit.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Swayman saves the day.

Marchand loves playoff hockey. Shades of the pre-hip surgery Brad in the 3rd period.

Ray Ferraro gushing over DeBrusk.

Contrary to popular believe, I thought Wotherspoon & Lohrei struggled.

Both McAvoy and Lindholm played over 25 minutes.

Bruins first goal a complete gift. Marchy should been called for trip (or something) and Samsonov can't let that one in.

2nd Leafs goal greasy as it gets. Off Bertuzzi's leg, off Lindholm's skate.

Marchand and McAvoy got away with a number of obvious penalties. Let 'em play, right?

Van Reimsdyk got in clean twice. Better to be smart than fast.

Bruins might have an easier time if Pasta & Zacha could contribute a little more.

Pasta took a beating last night.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Heinen had a very underrated game - the pass to set Zacha up on breakaway Short handed in first, then Marchand for winner

Great to see Marchand deliver he’s been pressing

Win this series and see what’s next

I think they are good enough to get out of this conference but a lot of work to be done

I probably would go with Swayman because they have extra day - but Ullmark was very good game 2

It’s been 29 games rotation but I think they play better infront of Swayman

Give me 5 or 6

No 7

Bruins of course
Footwork by Heinen after mucking on boards was so key to JDB's goal (who has been huuuuge in the first three). Heinen dug puck out and then made a very subtle kick to move the puck to his stick -- which allowed him to get it to Marchy - and then we know the rest. Really smart and effective. Kind of little thing that can get lost, but has huge implications.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think Leafs mngt did recognize that more grit was needed and they went and got it. Problem is, it`s a balance , Reeves laid some big hits out last night and got the crowd going which is what a 4th liner should be doing but ultimately, we saw in game 1 how the B`s can get under the skin of someone like Domi and then last night with Bert, Marchand literally renting space in his head

Keefe is a mouth breather who , like his predecessor, still hasn`t figured out that coaching some form of defensive responsibility is an absolute must to taste playoff success, let him talk

He'll get the desired result.

This is Toronto we're talking about.

Aside from that, Jim Montgomery is no Claude Julien.

Claude could play media games, though largely he refrained.

Montgomery couldn't volley if he tried, never mind serve.

Reactions: Gordoff and ODAAT

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Did he explain how?

Marchand getting grief for that dumbass Leaf coach is hilarious. Burt has gotten away with just as much not to mention dumb dumb Domi
In fairness to Keefe he’s under incredible pressure and only saves his job with a series win

Burt has been great - if my sources are correct and Toronto is interested in DeBrusk to replace Burt, the Bruins should consider Bringing him back to replace Jake

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Pavlov's dog.

Never fails.

What's worse is that I doubt Sunny Jim will respond in kind. Which, you know, he might as well.

There's little to lose in doing so, but it's unlikely he will.

It's kind of like a passive power play, when, for whatever reason, no one shoots the puck on net. They could. It's pretty simple, yes? But they don't.

I don't understand it, but they don't. And that, to me, is Montgomery.

He's not Craig Berube. He's not John Tortorella. He's not even Sheldon Keefe.

He's Sunny Jim.
Guessing you would complain about the taxes if you won Powerball?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Those f***ing losers. They had five f***ing power plays in a home playoff game. Meanwhile their high paid stars are shitting the bed yet again, as (for what I think is the eighth time in their last nine playoff games) the team failed to score three goals. And they're crying about the refs and Brad Marchand being the reason they lost?

f***ing losers.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Torontos coach Keefe when asked about Marchand getting away with things.

“It’s an art and he’s elite at it”

Respect the answer. I think he was getting baited but didn’t take it. We’ve had other opposing coaches cry to refs so this is at least refreshing
Actually he went much further than that. If he'd left it at that, I'd have respect for him. But he didn't.

I'll try to find exact words, but I watched it. He moaned about how Marchand always gets the calls. Said it was unbelievable how he gets all the calls.

He got baited, took the bait, and got hauled on board as well. Unfortunately he's a very subpar fish too, so I guess it's too the fertilizer factory for him. He'll make some good compost, I guess.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Swayman saves the day.

Marchand loves playoff hockey. Shades of the pre-hip surgery Brad in the 3rd period.

Ray Ferraro gushing over DeBrusk.

Contrary to popular believe, I thought Wotherspoon & Lohrei struggled.

Both McAvoy and Lindholm played over 25 minutes.

Bruins first goal a complete gift. Marchy should been called for trip (or something) and Samsonov can't let that one in.

2nd Leafs goal greasy as it gets. Off Bertuzzi's leg, off Lindholm's skate.

Marchand and McAvoy got away with a number of obvious penalties. Let 'em play, right?

Van Reimsdyk got in clean twice. Better to be smart than fast.

Bruins might have an easier time if Pasta & Zacha could contribute a little more.

Pasta took a beating last night.
every point spot on.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Actually he went much further than that. If he'd left it at that, I'd have respect for him. But he didn't.

I'll try to find exact words, but I watched it. He moaned about how Marchand always gets the calls. Said it was unbelievable how he gets all the calls.

He got baited, took the bait, and got hauled on board as well. Unfortunately he's a very subpar fish too, so I guess it's too the fertilizer factory for him. He'll make some good compost, I guess.

Brad Marchand NOTED REFEREE DARLING

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad