GDT: ECQF Game 2 : New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins - 7pm EST - MSG, TNT - Series (PIT 1-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
No more of this passive BS that we saw after the 1st.

Go smash the f*** out of these clowns. If the Refs want to come to their rescue again, so be it. Sitting back and letting Pittsburgh dictate the pace of play is not the answer. Getting in their face and beating them into submission is. Not only did they not like it, they didn't have an answer for it.

And Panarin needs to pull his head out of his ass. Kreider too.

I think they'll come out strong but definitely more reserved this time so they don't empty the tank after one period. However, I expect them to go artistry over smashmouth again. It's in their DNA and they don't know any other way. I hope to be surprised, though.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they'll come out strong but definitely more reserved this time so they don't empty the tank after one period. However, I expect them to go artistry over smashmouth again. It's in their DNA and they don't know any other way. I hope to be surprised, though.

I don't even think its an emptying the tank thing. They went up 2-0, took the foot off the gas and couldn't get it going again. I mean there were other momentum shifting events that had nothing to do with either team, but they didn't have to back off like they did.

There are a ton of things that need to get better. They had almost no clean touches out of their own end after the 1st period and gave Pittsburgh all the time and space in the world through the NZ. That was AV/Quinn level shit.

the OT's were played conservatively as I expected them to be (both teams really) but there was so much that I hated from our end. The over passing (Fox should have shot the puck instead of passing to Strome, even though Strome whiffed on what should have been a gimmie), Kreider shooting from 60 feet out instead of driving the net on Dungbeetle who he outweighs by like 50 pounds, Panarin doing stupid shit on almost every shift, etc.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
won't be watching this one and will not check the score or anything until it's over. don't f*** with me please

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don't even think its an emptying the tank thing. They went up 2-0, took the foot off the gas and couldn't get it going again. I mean there were other momentum shifting events that had nothing to do with either team, but they didn't have to back off like they did.

There are a ton of things that need to get better. They had almost no clean touches out of their own end after the 1st period and gave Pittsburgh all the time and space in the world through the NZ. That was AV/Quinn level shit.

the OT's were played conservatively as I expected them to be (both teams really) but there was so much that I hated from our end. The over passing (Fox should have shot the puck instead of passing to Strome, even though Strome whiffed on what should have been a gimmie), Kreider shooting from 60 feet out instead of driving the net on Dungbeetle who he outweighs by like 50 pounds, Panarin doing stupid shit on almost every shift, etc.
Agree on all accounts. For me, their key is that even if they start backing off and playing on their heels, for whatever reason, keep the damn structure intact. Play for the next shift. Survive. Like you and I both said, they completely abandoned the NZ in the second period on Tuesday and let Pitt do whatever they wanted there.

I double-down on everything you're saying about the guys you mentioned. They either can't or don't want to play between the circles. They want to play a clean, artistic game too. They don't know anything about shooting for the sake of causing chaos. Again, I hope they surprise me.

Anyone else feel like, even though this is game 2, this is a must win for us?
@tomobson does

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The mistake they made with Domingue when he first came into the game in the 2OT was that they gave him basically a few warm up shots which got him into the game. With a cold goalie coming in you don't want to let him feel the puck and we did just that with I believe 3 straight unscreened point shots.

They overpassed all night when they should've been shooting but then when Domingue came in they actually should've been overpassing to get him moving because a cold goalie coming into a game like that is going to lose his net if you get him moving, that simple. If it's going to be shots from distance then you need traffic in front.

Coming out and getting an early lead tonight would be nice.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The mistake they made with Domingue when he first came into the game in the 2OT was that they gave him basically a few warm up shots which got him into the game. With a cold goalie coming in you don't want to let him feel the puck and we did just that with I believe 3 straight unscreened point shots.

They overpassed all night when they should've been shooting but then when Domingue came in they actually should've been overpassing to get him moving because a cold goalie coming into a game like that is going to lose his net if you get him moving, that simple. If it's going to be shots from distance then you need traffic in front.

Coming out and getting an early lead tonight would be nice.
I thought this exact thing too. It was a paradox. Everyone including the TV crews said, shoot on Domingue and test him, he's cold, blah blah. What we ended up doing was warm him up. The key was to shoot on him intelligently, and lobbing unscreened muffins on him was a mistake.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Panarin and Copp are visibly and noticably injured. my expectations for what they can do are really low right now.

KZV was f***ing horrid and a big part of it was Kreider. He looks exactly the same as he did the last 10 games and that's not a good thing. Vatrano tries but he needs to get fed the puck to be effective and that's not happening right now. Zibanejad had a really bad first half of the game but I think he came on the 2nd half of the 3rd period and in OT.

The problem is that the playoff virgins were actually quite good, it's the vets that were bad. Chytil was barreling in on the forecheck and hard on the puck. Laf destroyed a few people but I don't think he took enough control offensively. Kakko was doing some strong board work and puck protection but is still extremely gun shy. Fox played very well (I strongly disagree with the people saying he was just "ok"), KAM was our best skater, Shesterkin put up one of the best goaltending performances I've seen in a very long time. Lindgren was playing pretty well except for his horrible positioning on Guentzel's second goal. I even thought Schneider was fine, considering the circumstances. Trouba was horrendous and very lucky KAM bailed him out several times. TBH he looks hurt too.

I even thought Strome was good. Yeah he missed a total gimme from Fox because his hockey IQ sucks asshole but he was really strong otherwise, particularly noticeable with how hurt Panarin and Copp look.

I think Rooney has to sit. The 4th line were a Pittsburgh PP every time they stepped on the ice and he was the worst offender. Literally f***ing gave the puck to Malkin 2-3 times that game. Gallant purposely matching them up against Crosby and Malkin is a mistake that should not be made again.

I think they learned a few things from this game but if we're gonna get the same performance out of Kreider, Zibanejad, Trouba, and the 4th line we might as well just stay home.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
We don't even need to physically abuse this team to win. We don't need to have an "aggressive start" where the 4th line is rumbling the boards in the first 2 minutes. That stuff is great but it does nothing for the W.
SHOOT. In volume. Non stop. You have the puck and a look, DO NOT PASS. Shoot on the 3rd stringer.
We can't coach this team to stop Pitt from getting their shots. So we have to match their volume. That is the surest way to ensure the win.

And you can do all that while playing really physical, you don't have to pick between the two. It's passes #3, #4, and #5 and then no shot that completely negates that aggressive play. You HAVE funnel pucks to the goal mouth.

Cheers man!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I thought this exact thing too. It was a paradox. Everyone including the TV crews said, shoot on Domingue and test him, he's cold, blah blah. What we ended up doing was warm him up. The key was to shoot on him intelligently, and lobbing unscreened muffins on him was a mistake.
this is a not a smart hockey team

Reactions: will1066

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yup, weirdly too it was Fox that took two straight unscreened muffins. You would think of all players Fox would be the one to know not to do that. But it definitely is a paradox because every instinct you have says to get shots on this guy he's cold we just unfortunately gave him the easiest shots possible. As a goalie, that's exactly what you want in that scenario. A couple very easy shots to help you feel a little comfortable, feel the puck and acclimate to your angles and stuff.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yup, weirdly too it was Fox that took two straight unscreened muffins. You would think of all players Fox would be the one to know not to do that. But it definitely is a paradox because every instinct you have says to get shots on this guy he's cold we just unfortunately gave him the easiest shots possible. As a goalie, that's exactly what you want in that scenario. A couple very easy shots to help you feel a little comfortable, feel the puck and acclimate to your angles and stuff.
One thing about this is that he came in after everyone had been in there for about 4 and a half periods of intense hockey. He wasn't tired, maybe a little mentally since he is part of the team, but as the backup your pretty much watching. He came in fresh and probably laser focused while everyone else was trying to not mess up.

Now that everyone will be starting from the same place, I'd expect them to have a much easier time getting to him. The few shots that were taken right after were a struggle for him too. The Kreider shot basically caused him to roll over.

If they get the chances that they got in the 1st OT against him, they are scoring in that 2nd OT.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
We don't even need to physically abuse this team to win. We don't need to have an "aggressive start" where the 4th line is rumbling the boards in the first 2 minutes. That stuff is great but it does nothing for the W.
SHOOT. In volume. Non stop. You have the puck and a look, DO NOT PASS. Shoot on the 3rd stringer.
We can't coach this team to stop Pitt from getting their shots. So we have to match their volume. That is the surest way to ensure the win.
Shoot and crash the crease for any rebounds.....this teeing it up for the perfect shot is ridiculous as well as the overpassing . JUST SHOOT ....and plow into the crease area for rebounds and such....create some havoc and have the D takes some penalties . I sure hope we don't have to throw Gauthier into a game to have somebody take a puck into the crease.....maybe Hunt and Gauthier should be in for the next game if we , God forbid lose this one ...more speed .

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Bodies and pucks on net. That will open up the cross seam. They just need to be smarter at the blue lines, our kryptonite is always blue line decisions that bite us in the ass after a turnover and 4 guys are going the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad