Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1 - Toronto 3 BRUINS 2 F

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I loved that hit he made on Tavares.
Problem is he is trying to do too much. He was displeased last night the whole game. No smile even when he scored...even in the pregame skate. Something was bothering him. His goal was pretty nice.

I never thought the Bs would get this far (at the start of the season).

They have some very good 3d and 4th line guys who have overachieved all season. Only have 2 real (IMO) top line forward players and they have too much on their backs. I also believe Brad is playing with an injury. He is still very intense and hasn't lost his edge.

I thought the D looked off last night and not just in the third (with Peeke hurt).

Linus made some amazing saves.

Leafs made adjustments and now the Bs must.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
That’s a good summery

Once Bruins lose a D they get dominated when there pairs are messed up

Gsme 2 2019 Blues - Grzelcyk concussed
Game 4 2019 Blues - Chara jaw broken

Once Peeke gone chaos no flow

Bruins still led but 2 horrific penalties

Ullmark made several great saves to keep in

They are a better road team anyways

not even sure here

I saw him play off wing in the WJC and (I believe) in juniors.

Reactions: DKH

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So what’s the strategy now if Peeke can’t go?

Shattenkirk really was only on off side so they could play Peeke. So with Peeke out, they could keep him in on his right “correct” side. That leaves Forbort, Wotherspoon, Grzelyck for two left side spots. None of these three would see PP time. But PK is a different story. Forbort probably isn’t fully ready but do we put him in anyway for PK? Can Wotherspoon get the job done? He did play a bit of PK, but is he better than Forbort at it? Does Gryz come out of the lineup? Then both Forbort and Wotherspoon can PK. Should Shattenkirk come out? Would mean Wotherspoon has to play the right side. Would also mean Lindholm back on a PP. The guy you start to realize that doesn’t fill a role of some sort is really Gryz. But Gryz is probably better 5 on 5, until he starts looking like he won’t go into a corner or battle in front of our own net. Coaches have some choices to make. Also, Carlo didn’t play the final 8 minutes. He didn’t seem hurt. Hoping it was only to shorten the bench because we were losing by one.

I’d dress 7 defenseman if Peeke is out. That way you can ease Forbort back in and use him almost exclusively on the PK and use Grzelcyk for the other minutes.

With all the special teams minutes, it’s not too difficult to run with 11 forwards.

Tough to pick which forward sits, but gun to my head, probably Maroon and only because I think he can use the 4 days off given where he is in regard to his recovery.

Reactions: BMC, SPV and bob77

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Regular season games and stats are all well and good, but I see playoffs as the real 'show me' for a bunch of guys in terms of whether they want to stick around with the Bruins long-term or retain the roles they've been given - Zacha, Coyle, DeBrusk, Geekie, Frederic, Boqvist, and Gryz. Heinen is a little different because he's filling a hole in the top 6 that really shouldn't be his responsibility, which can be both a blessing and a curse and makes his performance more difficult to judge.

As for the rest, early days but only DeBrusk and probably Boqvist get clear ticks so far. Gryz has had one good game and one not so much. The others have some work to do.

Obviously the most pressing thing is simply to win games, but looking longer-term I'm wanting to see how these sorts of players shape up when it matters most.
I really like Boqvist. He is fast and not afraid to dig in the dirty areas.

Need others to score because Pasta and Brad are covered more than other players.

I do not want to see any more too many men penalties unless it is on the Leafs. I was SO annoyed.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
They lost by a goal. McAvoy was too aggressive on Matthews, he should’ve backed off him a few feet and he wouldn’t have got burned on the GWG. Otherwise that game goes to OT.

Bruins Leafs are destined to go 7 games. Back to Swayman game 3. The PP needs to start clicking with all the gimme PP’s Leafs are gifting the B’s.

Entertaining series so far

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Pastrnak hasn’t been very good these first two games. He usually looks like he’s having the time of his life out there, especially when he scores. His body language last night was crazy dull. Need a little more excitement from these guys!
The Leafs are all over Pasta (of course...as expected). Need more from other players.

I am more concerned with that first line, Heinen is hurting them big time.
I am NOT seeing this at all

Reactions: Alicat

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ullmark was very good. But that wasn't good enough.

The magic isn't coming back for Marchand. He needs simplify his game. Let Coyle or DeBrusk carry the puck more. Get the freckin' puck out of the zone instead of trying to make a play 2 feet from the blue line.

McAvoy can't let Matthews get behind him on the game winner. Yet that gets no play because it wasn't one of the whipping boy defensemen.

Matthews was the best player on the ice, hands down.

Bruins need to execute much better. Can't have passes missing by 2 feet and so many decent passes bouncing off sticks ("heavy touches" for soccer fans).

Ref griping is silly. Bruins were never getting a 2-man advantage from an after-whistle scrum. Refs called Coyle just so they could get Bertuzzi off the ice too. Too many men because Reeves kept Geekie from getting to the bench. Could have let it all go, no reason for a man advantage out of that either way. Grz cross-checked Tavares. No doubt about it. No need for it. Gets called all the time.

Reactions: Zillah

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
A lot of this has to do with the guy that counts the hits in an NHL game. It's inconsistent across the league.

The league did a self audit earlier in the season on how hits have been calculated and increased everyone's totals. I think they said on average, there would be around 9 more hits calculated per game and that moving forward, totals would be revised after another audit at the end of the game.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Then push back. Go right up to the same line they do. If it gets called it gets called. And next time the officials look for it more. The Bruins did this for 7 straight against Vancouver way back when, so it’s silly to cry foul now
I would start cracking Matthews and Marner with stick was me.I would have already eliminated Marner with that high ankle sprain he still nursing

Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The goalies aren't the (or a) problem. While I would have started Sway last night, I'm ok with Ullmark getting the start (and not just because he was a stud).

That said, each has gotten into a game now. In the playoffs, I don't stick with the same rotation of one on/one off, regardless of performance of outcome. You're not going to have a traditional #1/backup split, but you can't yank a guy who had a great outing out of the net just because it's his tandem partner's turn. I think you max out at 3 in a row to keep the load manageable, but if a guy is hot, you play him for at least a few.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Really no difference today than I felt going into the series, which Bruins team shows up each night. Last night was the team that can’t make plays out of their own zone, if that team shows up three more times this series, we’re out. The good news is that the Bruins have generally bounced back from a weak effort with a good game, so I’m hopeful

Reactions: 22Brad Park

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Game 3 Lineup hopes

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Heinen
Geekie-Boqvist-Beecher
Maroon-Lauko-Frederic

Mac-Lindholm
Spoons-Carlo
Someone not 48 but hopefully Peeke- Shatty

Either goalie will give us all the opportunity to win so that’s a wash imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad