Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1 - Toronto 3 BRUINS 2 F

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Other than the BS penalty where Tavares dove, Gryz had a really good game. And the penalty was for being physical in front of the net, which would get praise if any other Bruin did it. He even boxed out Reeves a couple times. 3 blocked shots, 3 hits. I'll never understand the hate.
You know what, you're right. He actually had a decent game. He angled off some bigger bodies a number of times, good stick, good retrievals. I don't know if Tavares dove but you cannot take that penalty. It's a whole season of refs calling 99% of cross checks, especially in the slot or around the net. In this series alone a couple not too vicious cross checks were already called. Gotta be smarter than that. But it was one play. Otherwise he was fine.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Linus was the teams best player and kept us in the game. It speaks volumes when your goalie is also your best option to move the puck out of your end. The D kept trying to force it up the wall and the Leafs knew that was coming and sealed it off. Brick mentioned that and how the D should skate it out of the zone or have a forward curl back to be available for the short pass in the middle. Easier said than done and it was still a jump ball being tied in the third. And if this was basketball Matthews would have been called for "carrying" on the GWG. Never mind they never call that in the NBA anymore either.

tremha77

Jul 16, 2022
What's weird is a lot of the old Marchand goals were just being in smart spaces in the ice. We don't see that as much. Maybe some of that is the Bergy effect. But still.

its obviously pretty obvious how much Bergy made everyone including 63. good player but no where near what he was with Patrice.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins are slow as group, tough to forecheck when you can't get there
This. Add some zip to the line up. Richard was brought in for this reason. Dude has been playing well in Providence. I play him 3rd line and drop Lauko down for Maroon.

That call was so pathetic. Charlie did nothing wrong.
Brutal call. Bruins tie the game had the dumb penalty not been called.

Reactions: Ladyfan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t blame Linus for that game. Don’t think he was bad like some are claiming and nor do I think he was good like others are claiming. Think he was just “ok”.

However the biggest issues last night was the offense being non existent in the final 30 minutes of the game and the easily correctable penalties. Those two things killed us.

Reactions: Gordoff

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Beecher or Boqvist much better top 9 options than the stone handed Lauko. Pretty sad that they didn't test that sieve Samsonov. That guy sucks and he was playing with a head injury.
Shameful loss.
I would like to see Boqvist on the third line with Fredric and Geekie . We need more from all three. 61,19,94 your fourth line limit there playing time and double shift other in these spots as required.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
We’re just so outmanned at forward. Heinen, Boqvist, Beecher, Frederic, Maroon, Lauko, and Geekie all wouldn’t crack the Leafs top 9 once Nylander is back.

We have to win with our goaltending and defense, and if our defense is going to play like that then we’re in trouble.
The play-offs seem way too quick for these two so far, which is strange since Heinen was so good in 2019. He's still good on the PK at least.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think we see Wotherspoon and possibly Forbort Wednesday
I thought our D looked shakey especially in the third. It is tough to play one D down and hope Peeke is OK. Bruins have other options if he isn't.

Linus was amazing. Some of those saves were so good.

On to the next.

He has to go. Thankfully we're at the end of the line with him.
yikes....:thumbd:

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
How many times did our supposedly high end defense softly send the puck up the boards to a waiting Leaf? Pathetic effort on the breakout last night.

Defense lost that game.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Ullmark was great and held the Bruins in a game they had no business being in with the sloppy execution in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Made several miraculous saves. Ullmark has more of a battler-style than Swayman and with the chaos that was game 2 he turned out to be the right call despite the outcome. The coaches had to know the Leafs would come out harder and more desperate and they did. Hard to fault a goalie when the winning goal is a clear cut breakaway from the world's best goal scorer.

That call on Coyle was that typical bullshit call you get against Canadian based teams in the playoffs. Should of been a 5 on 3 but the refs will do whatever they can to drag this series out longer.

Leafs (Keefe) made some adjustments and now it's on Monty to adjust.

The major concern to me is Marchand. He's this team 2nd most important forward and he has 5 goals since All-star break and last night his first step was touch slower and he wasn't get much on his shots. He looks exhausted and given his deployment this season and factoring in his age, we shouldn't be shocked even if we are.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I feel bad for Pasta having Heinen and Zacha as linemates.. Guy prob score 60 plus with some real talent and a true #1., we never properly replaced our top two centers and we have a guy from a PTO playing on the top line. I could see the frustration in Pasta so many nights this season when he's s setting these guys up and they're bobbling the puck or he's wide open and can't get the puck to him. I've watched him smash his stick in frustration many a night.. It's definitely feels like a rag tag thrown together group of forwards who overachieved because of Pasta but it's catching up to them now when they're being asked to step up.
Pasta slams the door on the bench when he is mad. He wasn't smiling much last night even when he scored.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This. Add some zip to the line up. Richard was brought in for this reason. Dude has been playing well in Providence. I play him 3rd line and drop Lauko down for Maroon.

Brutal call. Bruins tie the game had the dumb penalty not been called.

It was a dumb call on Coyle but the Bruins didn’t deserve a two man advantage on that. Marchand dove for the second Leafs penalty call.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Loved the movement in the first power play. Loved Coyle going to the net and creating traffic.

Leafs had every reason to curl up in a ball and whither after the B’s goal with seconds left in the first.

They didn’t.

Leafs’ power play set-up at will in the offensive zone. Little to no resistance.

B’s offense goes completely MIA for a huge stretch in the 3rd, as if they team turned back into a pumpkin.

Pedestrian effort with an opportunity to put a stranglehold on the series.

Ullmark was better than good. I’ll stand by that statement.

Give the Leafs credit.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Yea speaking of Mathews, he absolutely closed his glove on the puck right? I half thought they’d call that back to when I saw it.
We have to stop grasping at straws Mathews play rarely if ever gets called. We are offensively challenged and we just got beat by more gifted scorers. Challenge is can we stop the charge and outcoach the Leafs brass. We have done well with the team we have this year but we have limited and inconsistent scoring.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
First off ...Ullmark had a very good game. Second off ..we fought the puck all night ...didn't win board battles... couldn't clear our zone effectively....not a good recipe for success. Lastly, I can't remember a time when we would send one man in with no support so many times unless we were protecting a lead (which we weren't..we were doing it all game)...no offensive net front presence at all to screen or get dirty goals....the Leafs defense were literally looking around for a man to take in front of their net and their was no one there.....they honestly looked as shocked as I was .... I'm not mentioning the 2 powerplays caused by too many men ....too disappointed to bother.
Having 2 calls because of too many men was BAD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad