Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1 - Toronto 3 BRUINS 2 F

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Anyone else just not really worried?

I still think they’re the better team.

And they will show it. We’re on to game 3.

Folks got too high after game 1 and are too low now. Have to win one of the next two. Both these teams are flawed. It will be up and down. But winning one of the next two seems pretty damn doable.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It's not on the goalie AT ALL...

But just.....

WHY??????????????????????

WHY WOULD THE COACH DO THIS?

You're supposed to reward a goalie for doing well in the playoffs.

I don't get it.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The biggest issue of the night was the offense not pressing a bad goalie, this is a tale as old as time though. So many games they play down to the level of the jag goalie. I think you go Pasta-Zacha-Debrusk for game 3 and try to get Marchand-Coyle-Heinen to matchup against Matthew’s line. Switch Beecher and Freddie also.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
And Marchy appears to be playing with a broken wrist or two.
Well, 2 things.

1) This season tells us just how good Bergeron was and how good he made those around him and,

2) He's always been at his best when he's been a rat and played on the edge. He's gotten too old for that and also has held that in check because he's the captain and that's hurt his game.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As someone who has been persistently critical of the head coach, Montgomery chose to play Ullmark.

That decision demonstrated intestinal fortitude. He was going to be criticized, and will be, regardless of his decision. I give him sincere credit.

Beyond that, from what I could see, the Bruins played a good game. A structured game. Matthews' got a break, and he made the best of it. Linus played well, and also saved their bacon at least three times. The Bruins also got lucky not having at least two goals allowed.

You can only get so lucky.

It worked out as it did, but I think it was a good game all around for both clubs.

I also think that the decision to go with Ullmark in game 2, with the loss, or certainly if they had won, was a good decision. Now they can go back to Jeremy and see what happens in Toronto. One can argue there is less pressure on both goaltenders because Montgomery chose to alternate them in game one and game two.

Both of these guys have never proven it in the playoffs. Both of these guys seem to require rest and the back and forth in terms of who starts. So I think Montgomery has done the best he can.

Speech to text.

See you in Toronto,

🥅🏒🍸🌜💤🛌😔

Last edited:

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
We’re just so outmanned at forward. Heinen, Boqvist, Beecher, Frederic, Maroon, Lauko, and Geekie all wouldn’t crack the Leafs top 9 once Nylander is back.

We have to win with our goaltending and defense, and if our defense is going to play like that then we’re in trouble.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Typical game 2 for Boston at home. Have to win games when the opponent doesn't have their best player.

Reactions: Yeti34

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I feel like Monty is incapable of getting a rise out of his players.
Any player on this team who can't rise themselves for a playoff game, especially after last year's playoffs, needs to be waived immediately. If you think a rah rah pep talk in the locker room is the key to success for a professional team then I think you are missing the point.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Why is Monty doing the goalie clown show? Ullmark was good, but Sway deserved to start last night.

Why the need to make it this dramatic, game show- like process of naming a starter. Very gimmicky and unprofessional. Ride the hot hand which was Swayman until now. Get ready for more of Monty’s goalie drama. The playoffs are not the time for foolishness.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Ullmark battled through, but did not look comfortable out there. Looks like something's nagging him.

If Peeke can't go is it Wortherspoon or the return of Forbort?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I prefer the joy from Saturday night's game. If they continue the goalie rotation, Sway plays 4 games, so relax, we win game 7. Maybe Ullmark can steal a game. :sarcasm:

It was a close game, it sucks about Matthews holding the puck in his glove - I guess the refs figured they couldn't take away his "70th" goal as SportsNet claimed it was. I saw it too, but you can't challenge it.

Reactions: Ladyfan

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I thought Ullmark was awesome

However, there’s something to be said for how a team plays in front of a goalie and how the opposition feels playing against a goalie

Putting Ullmark in may have put the B’s in a Different mental space, same with Toronto.

It does have the feeling of Monty over coaching and playing himself, similar to what happened with Florida

I like maroon on this team but don’t feel he should be on the powerplay, certainly not working the walls. Leafs exploited his lack of speed, and he seems unfamiliar with our system on top of it

Freddy needs to be better, and Marchandneeds to relax

And I hate this f***ing website with the burning passion of 1000 suns

Reactions: caz16

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
My thoughts:

1. Ullmark was solid. Made some 5 bell saves to keep the game close. Swayman starts game 3 obviously and maybe game 4 if he puts in another solid performance on Wednesday.
2. Gryz needs to come out of the line up. We have zero offense from our backend. I'd dress Lohrei in game 3 and play him on the 2nd pair with Carlo.
3. Is there a better option than Lauko on the 3rd f***ing line please? At this point, I'd give Merkulov a go with Freddy and Geekie.
4. Leafs wanted it more than the Bruins last night. Shit happens. Regroup, get ready for Toronto, whether the storm for the 1st 5 minutes and then play your game and get home ice advantage back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad