Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 - YUCK - Toronto 4 BRUINS 1 - Leafs lead series 1-0

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How come Rask gets that reputation in Boston for not making timely saves?

If anything, at least in all the games I've seen vs Toronto, he's pretty clutch when it counts (ie. Frattin breakaway). Even last night, you can't really fault a goalie for allowing 2 breakaway goals. He made some huge saves to close out the 2nd and keep the game close. The guy definitely sets the stage for the comeback at least.
No question. Would have loved to see a big save on #3, but as you say — Rask more than gave B’s a chance.

For those griping about the Marner PS? Yes Rask might have made the poke check but that was a sick sick move. Credit where credit is due.

Reactions: SoVi3t and Strafer

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So Ill ask this right here.

Do you guys start Halak tomorrow??
We've have been flip flopping goalies for about over a month now.
Halak has looked good against Tor this year.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I would have liked to see Backes in there. Leafs are a soft team with a generally weak D. They played very well in D zone last night, but generally should be susceptible to a heavy game. We missed Kuraly on 4th line big time.

That said i don’t think lineup made a huge difference. If you’d told me yesterday morning that the B’s would make countless errors in puck management I’d have not believed you. They are better than that.....
much better.

And IMO that had little or nothing to do with Leafs speed. Simple case of JUST NOT SHARP!!!!

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So Ill ask this right here.

Do you guys start Halak tomorrow??
We've have been flip flopping goalies for about over a month now.
Halak has looked good against Tor this year.

do everything and anything to win this series for Krejci and Bergeron, if Halak can provide a burst, absolutely

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm not a believer in rotating goal tenders in the playoffs. You pick one and you ride him. If you are up 3-0 in a series and want to give a guy a rest MAYBE I can go for that.

My view is that you pick your guy and go with him. If he's not playing well (Grubauer last year for the Caps) you make the change (ex: Holtby), but YOU ONLY MAKE THAT CHANGE ONE TIME and then you ride the new guy.

Rolling goalies in and out if they have an off night in the playoffs creates more problems for your team than it solves, and wrecks the confidence in your goal tenders. I equate it to rotating QBs in football.

If you have 2 starters, then you don't have any starters.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I'm not a believer in rotating goal tenders in the playoffs. You pick one and you ride him. If you are up 3-0 in a series and want to give a guy a rest MAYBE I can go for that.

My view is that you pick your guy and go with him. If he's not playing well (Grubauer last year for the Caps) you make the change (ex: Holtby), but YOU ONLY MAKE THAT CHANGE ONE TIME and then you ride the new guy.

Rolling goalies in and out if they have an off night in the playoffs creates more problems for your team than it solves, and wrecks the confidence in your goal tenders.

halak was in net for 3 of the 4 games against tor this year.

Reactions: FanSince72

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
The good news is that I think we'll win Game 2, and home ice isn't really an advantage for Toronto IMO. I don't think we'll lay another egg in this series. It still won't be easy, because that's a very good team over there.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
That's probably my biggest concern right now.

...NOT who our starting goaltender should be.
Agree yeah I would have liked to see Rask stop one of the breakaways,but he wasn’t really the big problem it was definitely the defence,and they really made Chara look bad ,let’s face it if he can’t poke check them,there going to fly around him with ease.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How is that not interference and tripping? Meanwhile Chara steps in front of a guy away from the puck and gets two minutes.

Textbook penalty. Considering it was Kadri I was stunned they didn't call that but did call Chara. Kadri knew Debrusk is banged up, and that was his point.

Other than that it was consistent with only must call penalties being called.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Textbook penalty. Considering it was Kadri I was stunned they didn't call that but did call Chara. Kadri knew Debrusk is banged up, and that was his point.

Bot the Kadri and Chara interference should have been called. Both were legit, only one was called.

Reactions: Neely2005

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Agreed. I didn't have a problem with the officiating last night.

If you wanna dissect every missed call in a hockey game, I don't know what to tell ya......

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How is that not interference and tripping? Meanwhile Chara steps in front of a guy away from the puck and gets two minutes.
Chara’s was a penalty no doubt. But they missed that. If Marchand had done that it would have been a DOPS hearing for a slew foot.

That said, officiating was generally fine last night. That loss was on B’s playing a bad game.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
This is a completely different point than what the OP was asking - what he's paid has no bearing on if he does or doesn't make the timely stop and for the most part he does (i.e. Tavares breakaway right before the end of the 2nd), but people will focus mostly on the ones that got by.
Really would you pay someone top dollar to play like a guy making half the amount
I can answer for no
I like Rask but you have to admit he was overpaid and they really haven’t addressed it

Reactions: FanSince72

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
No. Rask wasn't even close to being a reason why they lost last night so there's no reason to go to the backup.

Agree. Rask wasn't the problem.

I'm normally of the mind you pick your playoff goalie and you play him. Only if he falters badly do you make a move. Not 100% sure that's best in this case.

Interestingly, Billy Jaffe shared his view in the pre-series analysis that this IS a HUGE series for Rask and that there is some validity to the questions around Rask's ability to win big games since 2013, and his ability to "steal" a game or series. While many fans have no clue when they're bashing Rask...in fact most don't...I do think that a more subtle questioning of Rask's likelihood of propelling the team to victory is somewhat reasonable. I think Halak is more of the same...but overall, I have to agree with Jaffe.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad