Pre-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 7:08 PM - Marathon Madness - NESN, NESN 4K, ESPN, CBC, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM ( NESN not available outside New England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1681698513411.png

1681698610665.png

1681698657836.png

1681698569169.png

Bruins suddenly face meaningful hockey, open with Panthers

After clinching the Atlantic Division title back on March 25 and the Presidents' Trophy five days later, the Boston Bruins have played essentially meaningless hockey over the final few weeks of the regular season.

A laundry list of records to achieve kept them focused, but everything that was transpiring ultimately led to what is now in front of them: the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Bruins' postseason quest begins Monday night in Boston with the opening of an Eastern Conference first-round series against the Florida Panthers.

Florida is one of only two teams to record multiple wins against them this season, splitting the four games with the Bruins.

"This is my favorite time of year," Boston forward Nick Foligno said. "You try not to be that old vet, but 16 years in, you want to get through 82 (games) to get to this point. I think we've done a great job of putting ourselves in a great position. Now it's back to zero."

This is the first opening-round series between a No. 1 overall seed and the previous season's Presidents' Trophy winner since the award for best regular-season record was first given out in 1985-86.

It has been 10 years since a Presidents' Trophy winner has hoisted the Stanley Cup, dating back to when the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Bruins in the 2013 Final.

The only other postseason meeting between Boston and Florida was in the first round in 1996 when the Panthers went five games to win their first-ever playoff series and rolled all the way to their only appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.

"They're a really good team, a dangerous team," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "We're going to have to be at the top of our game if we want to have success. (Matthew) Tkachuk, excellent player. (Aleksander) Barkov's a stud. ... Besides that, they're a really fast team that transitions well."

Montgomery described his team as "loose" in their 5-4, come-from-behind win Thursday at Montreal. The Bruins got goals from five different players -- including David Pastrnak's 61st -- and reached the 65-win and 135-point marks.

Foligno (knee) is on the cusp of returning for his first action since Feb. 28, as he and defenseman Derek Forbort practiced on both Saturday and Sunday.

Forward David Krejci and goaltender Linus Ullmark also participated.

On Sunday, however, the Bruins were without captain Patrice Bergeron (minor injury and illness) and goaltender Jeremy Swayman (illness).

On the Florida side, forward Sam Bennett (lower-body, soft tissue) is unlikely to play Monday following a 12-game absence but could return during the series.

"It's a tough injury that heals at its own rate," Panthers coach Paul Maurice said of Bennett. "There is not a lot of room on it. It just has to get better. You can't play as an NHL hockey player with it."

The Panthers are looking to become the second team in NHL history to beat a 60-win team in the opening round, joining the 2019 Columbus Blue Jackets who swept the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Panthers goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, who has two Vezina trophies, was the winner in every game of that series for Columbus, which lost to Boston in the following round.

With Bobrovsky out since March 27 (illness), Alex Lyon went 6-1-1 with a .942 save percentage in that span and is likely to start Monday. The lone loss came Thursday against Carolina.

The Panthers could have avoided the matchup with Boston by winning that regular-season finale against Carolina in which both teams scored twice in the last three minutes. Florida trailed 5-2 with 2:40 remaining but scored twice in 38 seconds before Carolina iced the 6-4 win with an empty-net goal in the final minute.

"We have been through this situation, battling the whole year," forward Carter Verhaeghe said. "We believe in all of the guys and we just have to go out there, play hard and have fun."

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Whatever we accomplished in the regular season, while so incredibly impressive...doesn't matter anymore. Its a new season. Teams are gunning for us. What we need to do is out gun them. Show them WHY we accomplished so much. The Bruins have shown who they are. They need to continue to do what they do best, but ratchet that up 100 times. This is where we find out who can handle this final quest. Who is tough enough. Who is going to sacrifice and dig deep, more than they ever have. THIS is who we are. If we play how we know how to play, and how we played in the regular season, we will be fine. But don't get complacent. Complacency breeds a loser mentality. No dipsy do skating. No half ass passing. Passes WITH a purpose. Shots to the net every damn time. Good things happen when you do that and go to the net. Battle on the boards. Be physical. Don't take any shit. But don't get goaded into anything. Be smart.

We do all of that? We're in good position. Don't take them lightly. They will be coming for us. I believe in this Bruins team because they haven't given me any reason not to. Protect your goalie. Protect our house. We got this.

You already know the drill!

Playoff Dracarys is here!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
After months of waiting, of knowing that the Bruins were playoff-bound, it feels weird that they're finally here. I'm serene about the first round. Little things like Bergy's situation, or some flu or whatever else perhaps going through some of the team, are not ideal, but I'm not troubled by them. Florida are not an unworthy opponent, they need to be respected, but Boston has them covered, even if they're not quite full strength.

I'm very very ready for this, drop the puck and let's get started! We've reached the saddle, the journey to the summit begins here.

1681716587232.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Of course, being nervous as the playoffs begin is natural for a hockey fan.

4 years ago Bruins fans thought we should beat Toronto but we had no chance of beating Tampa in Round 2.

gomer-surprise-gomer.gif

Easter Sunday 2019 the Bruins won Game 6 IN TORONTO to stay alive knowing Tampa was eliminated.

The Sunrise Kitties beat the Bruins twice this season and they must be respected.

Channeling an old 70s sitcom

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am posting this here as my good luck charm. My Mom passed away tragically in June, she knitted me this sweater when I was very young in the 1970s. I believe there is magic in this sweater.

The boys will be ready, I have no doubt. This is what we have been been waiting for. Let the games begin! GO BRUINS!!!!!!

1681723401336.png
1681723436175.png

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I am posting this here as my good luck charm. My Mom passed away tragically in June, she knitted me this sweater when I was very young in the 1970s. I believe there is magic in this sweater.

The boys will be ready, I have no doubt. This is what we have been been waiting for. Let the games begin! GO BRUINS!!!!!!

View attachment 689770View attachment 689771
That’s beautiful!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m always amazed that first shift of the playoffs how much more intense the competition is.

Going to keep busy at work today. Got my ass up for the gym at 4am despite playing back to backs in net last night.

Hoping to be nice and tired this afternoon and get a good nap in.

Puck drop at 7:08 or 7:30? Those 20 minutes of sleep could be the difference for me.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I’m always amazed that first shift of the playoffs how much more intense the competition is.

Going to keep busy at work today. Got my ass up for the gym at 4am despite playing back to backs in net last night.

Hoping to be nice and tired this afternoon and get a good nap in.

Puck drop at 7:08 or 7:30? Those 20 minutes of sleep could be the difference for me.

You must be young.

I'm exhausted just reading this.

If you are not young and are this athletically active, I think you know where I'll tell you to go.

All in good fun, sir.

Have the best day you can, git yer nap on, and strap yourself in.

It may -- may -- prove a bumpy ride,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad