Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 273 17.6%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.5%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I mean, I won't question what happens in their locker room cuz I have no idea what the f*** is happening in it. I think you should check some post history for my stance on the "boo hoo strip Tavares of the C" debate that happened after game 1. You might be surprised wink wink.

Will I rip the on ice performance of teams? If I bear witness to it, sure.
Locker room stuff is irrelevant. I mean what are they doing, quadratic equations? Are they aligning chakras? Are they solving Fermat's Theorem? These are hockey players. They take a hit of smelling salts, gulp down some energy drink/water then go back on the ice.

Whether Marchand is a good captain or not will come as a result of two things:
Winning the Cup as a captain
His community work and perception of self in the Boston and Greater Boston Community.

Right now, Boston's coach should be on the firing line for failing to put down a very wounded animal. If Boston loses this series (and I have picked the Leafs in 6 by the way) then there need to be sweeping changes to the entire organization, an organization habituated to coasting on regular season success to a feeling of entitlement of playoff results.

And Brad Marchand can change that if, you know, he produces.

• Haha
Reactions: Son of Donegal

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Tavares isn't Marchand, so comparing the 2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Has a team ever given a rat that whines and dives all game the C before ? I get it, he's a veteran and longest serving Bruin, but just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Chara was an intimidating force and an elite player, that played with an edge but also had class. Bergeron was all class, an elite talent that led by example, this guy is the complete opposite. If you're happy with your captain behaving like that, I mean good for you. But it's pretty pathetic tbh. As a rival and playoff opponent, absolutely love it, soft captain = soft team, Bruins getting physically bullied.
Yes. And it's going to happen many many more times.

I'd rather nobody sell a call, captain or otherwise. Unfortunately it happens, and last night Marchand tried it.

Locker room stuff is irrelevant. I mean what are they doing, quadratic equations? Are they aligning chakras? Are they solving Fermat's Theorem? These are hockey players. They take a hit of smelling salts, gulp down some energy drink/water then go back on the ice.

His community work and perception of self in the Boston and Greater Boston Community.

Right now, Boston's coach should be on the firing line for failing to put down a very wounded animal. If Boston loses this series (and I have picked the Leafs in 6 by the way) then there need to be sweeping changes to the entire organization, an organization habituated to coasting on regular season success to a feeling of entitlement of playoff results.

They might be. I don't know. If you wanna know anything about his captaincy I think it would be best to ask the players both past and present.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He's a whole different player when he engages physically.

Boston needs everyone going to keep the team approach tight.

Toronto just needs to stay out of its own way.
This is what the series will come down to tbh. Toronto will outplay Boston at 5v5, but make some pewee-level decisions that the Bruins can capitalize on

If those are minimized, the Leafs should win. That's a huge if, though

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This is what the series will come down to tbh. Toronto will outplay Boston at 5v5, but make some pewee-level decisions that the Bruins can capitalize on

If those are minimized, the Leafs should win. That's a huge if, though
Pretty much. Boston is throwing a lot of things that are designed for "bounces" or levraging gaffes.

Reactions: leafsfan5

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
They never should have given it to him in the first place, said it the moment they gave him the C. Not only is he too old, he has 0 leadership skills. McAvoy or Pasta should have been the choices.
McAvoy would have been my choice.

This way Marchand can be Marchand instead of trying to be Bergeron 2.0 and you know acting like a professional and all that.

He is a diving rat. Be that.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
They never should have given it to him in the first place, said it the moment they gave him the C. Not only is he too old, he has 0 leadership skills. McAvoy or Pasta should have been the choices.
Nope.

The fact that the leafs have been targeting him more than anyone else on the Bruins just proves that even they know who the leader of the team is.

McAvoy some day, Pastrnak maybe. But there was and is no question about Marchand being the captain beyond opponents' hopes.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don't know what you're getting at, because I member many Toronto fans saying Matthews was great in game 1. I didn't see it that way at all.

Game 2, absolutely.
Fair. He wasn’t great, I can’t speak for all people. I guess I kinda understand the Bruin fan now lol
I took it like he was saying Matthews was at his peak and looks forward to his slump- whereas he was likely mocking. I didn’t think many thought Matthews was a beast in gm1. Tbh

Reactions: TD Charlie

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Nope.

The fact that the leafs have been targeting him more than anyone else on the Bruins just proves that even they know who the leader of the team is.

McAvoy some day, Pastrnak maybe. But there was and is no question about Marchand being the captain beyond opponents' hopes.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with him wearing a giant C on his sweater

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Fair. He wasn’t great, I can’t speak for all people. I guess I kinda understand the Bruin fan now lol
I took it like he was saying Matthews was at his peak and looks forward to his slump- whereas he was likely mocking. I didn’t think many thought Matthews was a beast in gm1. Tbh
Fair. I'd really love it if Matthews reverted back to game 1 performance level lol. Bruins might not have an answer if he continues his game 2 mean streak. Personally, that sucked to watch. Even after the first period being up 2-1 it didn't feel great.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

This is one of the most "out to lunch" posts I have read on here in a while...and that's saying a lot.

This is and has always been a transition year for Boston. They lose Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Orlov, Hathaway, Bertuzzi, etc. and thanks to their cap situation and pending UFA's they are left to replace those star players with James Van Reimsdyck, Danton Heinen, Morgan Geekie, Andrew Peeke, Parker Wotherspoon and Pat Maroon. The fact that have enjoyed success all season without any major additions speaks volumes of Sweeney and his team identifying talent on a budget. Monty has been a solid coach all season.

It would make ZERO sense to burn this franchise to the ground when they are literally a top 5 franchise in terms of sustained success and much of that is thanks to the word of their head office.

If you were to hold other teams to the standards you hold Boston to in your post, most of the league would be in rebuild mode.

Reactions: The don godfather

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Watched the replay of “The Dive” and it’s worse than I thought. Dude is holding the knee cap of the wrong leg when he got slashed in the hamstring of the other leg.

How the mighty have fallen. They went from a captain like Bergeron who was just all class all the time to that. It’s like going from a Ferrari to a non electric scooter.
He was like that when Bergeron was captain. This isn't something new.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You said he was "too old and didn't have leadership skills"- why would they bother targeting that?

I mean Boston isn't out there game planning to hack away at Tavares because we all know he's not much of a leader for that club.
They're targeting him, because he's a dirty player and a rat and they're sending a message that his nonsense won't be tolerated. They are also physically intimidating him.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I have long been a critic of the Leafs for being marshmallow soft and nothing but regular-season skating princesses, but will now have to admit that last night they showed some real grit in what amounted to a de facto elimination game (I think if they had lost they would have collapsed entirely the rest of the series) and without Nylander. So Kudos to the Leafs. Boston now has a real fight on their hands, recalling the old adage that you're not in trouble until you lose a home game.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The series will go 6 or 7 I think we all know that. Matthews can win it on his own if he's on one of his hot streaks. Definitely a bit of worry in Bruin town after that game.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Where’s the “Matthews isn’t half the player without Marner” crowd at? Must be a widespread Internet outage today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad