Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Should have called the high stick to McAvoy earlier. Should not have called a couple on Boston in the first, or the rough on McAvoy.

But it remained inconsistent all night. One team handled it much better.

High sticks can be tricky. A guy lifts his stick and the head goes back. The head snapping back could be from the impact of the stick, it could be from trying to avoid the stick, or it could be embellishing, I don’t remember specifically whether a referee was there to distinguish one from the other. I’m not saying they didn’t miss the call but it can certainly be less obvious than the tackle and the trip.

Someone mentioned Domi knocking Swayman over after the period. Maybe the refs didn’t see it at the time but maybe heard about it or saw it later and so they gave a lot of leeway?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
he's 35. done . painful to watch . hopefully he doesnt hang around too long

no chance at making a Team Canada lineup..um no
Interesting take, considering he's tied with some other guy for most points in the playoffs

Screenshot_20240425_082448_NHL.jpg

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
No, it was a backhanded compliment, if anything. he’s just trying to work the officials for more calls against Marchand.
What? You’re kidding. A coach lobbying for calls in the playoffs? I’ve NEVER seen that before.

You know a coach can “work the officials” and compliment a player at the same time, right? Both things can be true?

IMG_3227.jpeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
High sticks can be tricky. A guy lifts his stick and the head goes back. The head snapping back could be from the impact of the stick, it could be from trying to avoid the stick, or it could be embellishing, I don’t remember specifically whether a referee was there to distinguish one from the other. I’m not saying they didn’t miss the call but it can certainly be less obvious than the tackle and the trip.

Someone mentioned Domi knocking Swayman over after the period. Maybe the refs didn’t see it at the time but maybe heard about it or saw it later and so they gave a lot of leeway?
Excuse it however you like. The high stick was a bad miss

Domi eh whatever. Swayman knew what he was doing there too. I’m fine with the refs not doing anything.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
What? You’re kidding. A coach lobbying for calls in the playoffs? I’ve NEVER seen that before.

You know a coach can “work the officials” and compliment a player at the same time, right? Both things can be true?

View attachment 859368
Lollol, I’m fully aware that other coaches try it. And laughing even harder if you think that was a genuine compliment from Keefe.

TOCap1

Nov 14, 2009
Toronto
It’s just funny that the complaining about the refs only happens on the Matthews take down because it resulted in a terrible goal given up by Sammy. If he does his job then this point of the missed call wouldn’t have mattered. Same goes for the Marchand Bertuzzi mix up in the same sequence. They both should have gotten penalties but the refs decided to play on instead of taking them both off the ice. It wasn’t like a superb chance on the play on. The refs are trash and will always be trash on both sides. The only person or people to blame the Leafs loss on is the players and the coaches. You get momentum scoring the opening goal on a beautiful pass by Mitch (honourable mention to Eddy making a great play on the Boston D to get that pass to Knies) and put pressure on the next couple shifts and couldn’t get the 2nd one. Good game by Boston for weathering the storm after that first goal and capitalizing before the period ends. Hopefully the Leafs can pull it off on Saturday. Despite the overreactions after each game with the series is over one way or another in however many more games the team just won needs to win the series; this is probably going to go the distance (if Toronto can not be a total sieve on special teams)

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
No, it was a backhanded compliment, if anything. he’s just trying to work the officials for more calls against Marchand.
Yes. Cuz 5 power plays weren't enough?

I have no issue with the non call on the Marchand/Bertuzzi, Frederic goal.

2 guys who play a similar pest game are in a silly pest battle. Let them figure it out. Not everything needs to be blown dead for a 4 on 4. Both seem to be taking the same diving lessons as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs look the better team, except in goal. Hard to win with a leaky goalie.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

2 guys who play a similar pest game are in a silly pest battle. Let them figure it out. Not everything needs to be blown dead for a 4 on 4. Both seem to be taking the same diving lessons as well.
Everybody is quick to cry foul because it’s Marchand, while blissfully ignoring the fact that it’s also Bertuzzi involved. If that’s somebody other than Marchand or Bertuzzi, I’d venture to guess it’s blown dead and we play 4 on 4. Those two guys just don’t get the benefit of doubt there. Ever.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Total number of power plays aside, he’s working the refs to neutralize Marchand for them because the Leafs can’t seem to help getting drawn in/distracted by his shenanigans.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
What gets me about Leafs fans is that they still don't get that in the POs penalties that don't lead to a possession change or when two guys are going after each other behind the play usually don't get called. Especially if you're leading on PPs.

The hold on Matthews in the 2nd didn't have anything to do with the play so it wasn't called. The Tavares hold at the end of the game it nothing like that play as it could have led directly to a Leafs scoring chance so it had to be called. Crying about those two plays is just ignorant.

The Marchand/Bert play happens all the time. In the DAL/VGK game, there was a play where two guys were punching/slashing each other behind the play and nothing was called. The only reason you care is because Sammy let in a floater.

At the end of the day, winners win and losers cry about the refs.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He should be calling out the stars. They've been coddled and overpaid for 8 years now. And to nobody's surprise nothings changed. Why would it when they keep getting paid and the coach is afraid of hurting their feelings?
Because Keefe is coaching for his job right now and wouldn't call them out mid series, he can do it after if he really wanted too.

What gets me about Leafs fans is that they still don't get that in the POs penalties that don't lead to a possession change or when two guys are going after each other behind the play usually don't get called. Especially if you're leading on PPs.

The hold on Matthews in the 2nd didn't have anything to do with the play so it wasn't called. The Tavares hold at the end of the game it nothing like that play as it could have led directly to a Leafs scoring chance so it had to be called. Crying about those two plays is just ignorant.

The Marchand/Bert play happens all the time. In the DAL/VGK game, there was a play where two guys were punching/slashing each other behind the play and nothing was called. The only reason you care is because Sammy let in a floater.

At the end of the day, winners win and losers cry about the refs.
This whole PP/PK nonsense is loser talk. Everyone can talk about the sequences that lead up to it, and the non pens called on MacAovy and Marchand, but it doesn't change the fact the goaltender let in a shot from the top of the circle that beat him short side.

Another freebie goal Sammy gifts to the other team.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad