Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Did Holtby just say he thought there was one team that was better than the rest out of the potential teams the Caps could play? Was he talking about Ottawa?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I wonder how this hasn't yet developed into a huge rivalry.
Caps in 5.

I think it is, frankly, and the media will catch on with the four-in-five playoff matchups storyline this Spring.

Makes me want to puke that we have to play the Rags....
Isn't that what makes it right, though? Hate is everything, dreading another series against 'those guys,' whoever those teams are for every team, is what hockey should be all about. Not fearing them exactly, but the repetition and knowing what comes with those matchups (the media circus, etc.) That's what should make the new playoff format so great. The same teams will be matched up over and over, unless there is a lot of fluidity (though I expect there will be haves and have nots in the Patrick).

Liberati0n*

I wonder how this hasn't yet developed into a huge rivalry.
Caps in 5.

The Rangers just haven't been good enough for anyone to get truly passionate. They won last year on Holtby throwing away a game, some flukes and the Capitals not attempting to actually play hockey under Hunter.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Yah I got a bad feeling about this. I really do. I think we lose this series. But I hope I am wrong

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
They have won some games of late but vs nj x2 fla,Carolina on their win streak. I still think they lack finishers but the new guys they got in that big trade are playing well. Ny bluejackets.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
So these are my thoughts on the series...

Each year we've dominated the Rangers in terms of play, possession, chances etc.

In 2009 and 2011 when we could actually score we won. Last year we lost in 7, when we couldn't score worth a lick, and it was the best rangers team by far of the 4 we will have faced.

I like this matchup. We're gonna get alot of chances and with our guys feeling good right now I think we will be able to score enough to win. That's the only question IMO.

Caps in 5

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I'd come in and say nice to see you guys again, but let's be honest: This is probably going to get real ugly.

Still, it's a pleasure to watch Backstrom play. Hopefully, he's miserably disappointing

:p:

Lawrencejame

Apr 18, 2012
Its the playoffs, not gonna like the matchup majority of the time. But honestly, I think the caps match up well vs the rangers, I see the caps taking it in 5 or 6 games, depending on how many weak goals holtby allows. Caps will control the play most of the game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd come in and say nice to see you guys again, but let's be honest: This is probably going to get real ugly.

Still, it's a pleasure to watch Backstrom play. Hopefully, he's miserably disappointing

:p:

Hopefully Nash disappears during the series and Richards plays as advertised. Callahan and Stepan are my biggest worries. Will Staal be back?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I am glad the Caps are playing the Rags. Like playing the Giants. Just feels right to me.

On the flip side, cue the annoying Rags fans running their mouth none stop. :laugh:

The King is the key. Need to run him early and often.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Hopefully Nash disappears during the series and Richards plays as advertised. Callahan and Stepan are my biggest worries. Will Staal be back?

Richards was advertised as a Conn Smythe winner. I like your thinking :naughty:

But honestly, both him and Callahan sucked for the first two thirds of the year, but have been outstanding the past 16 games or so.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps have relied heavily on the powerplay this year, so how they call this one, and how disciplined the Rangers come out, should be a big factor.

Both teams took some time to find their sea legs this year. Write off the first half for both clubs.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

Nash has been odd. goes 2 or 3 games with out a point, then gets 6 in a 2 game span. He's the true X factor for us.

Be careful what you wish for with Richards. He's riding a 6 game point streak with 11 points, and looks back to form. His play in the series could determine if this is an offensive fireshow or if both teams try to lock it down again.

Callahan is also riding a 7 game point streak, and has been finding the net, though admittedly, his physical play seems to have slowed in favor of him looking offense. That's liable to change in the playoffs though.

I don't know what to tell you about Stepan. From week 2 or 3 of the season he's been our best player. His disappearance was one of the biggest factors for our loss last year against NJ, so him continuing his play is huge for us.

Staal is practicing fully, seems to be getting used to his vision. I'm hearing rumblings that he'll be ready, but I imagine they stick Mcdonagh on OV while Staal gets back into form.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Can we just skip the first 6 games? This thing is going 7. Might as well keep everyone healthy.

Sick of playing these guys. The games aren't even particularly enjoyable given Torts' coaching style.

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Hey Caps, Jets fan here.

Congrats on winning the division and you will be my bandwagon team for the east this year. :D

I've watched the rags and caps playoff series these past 3 seasons, and a lot of those games (especially last years') were highly entertaining. Caps caught on fire just in time for the playoffs, so hopefully we(it's ok for now isn't it? lol) can breeze past NYR.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It is funny to read on the Rags board how Rags fans are so annoyed by the Verizon Center's goal horn. Now they know how us Caps fans feel when that dumb ass "OHHHHHH" song is played in MSG after Rags goals. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad