GDT: ECQF 5 | FLYERS (H) vs. Canadiens (A) | Wedn., Aug. 19, 2020 | 8:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Who was the Flyer that bent Matt Martin's nose sideways? He was with Montreal a while before he was a Flyer. Decent 4th line player I can't remember his name dammit!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
So I'm just curious, is it habs fans are whining and saying philadelphia plays an extremely boring style of hockey just because they haven't been able to do anything or is it just boring for the habs and you guys are enjoying it?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If it's me, Hart all the way. Dude is in tremendous condition plus no travel and not an overly taxing 3 PM game today.

Plus I think seeing Elliott could maybe Montreal loosen up a bit.

Play Elliott until the first whistle and then change for Hart.

avlaugh.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So I'm just curious, is it habs fans are whining and saying philadelphia plays an extremely boring style of hockey just because they haven't been able to do anything or is it just boring for the habs and you guys are enjoying it?
Our coach is absolutely awful and he's intentionally making these games as boring and uneventful as possible because he has a weird obsession with terrible "energy" players in the playoffs.

He's benched a ton of skill and speed to have as many slow/unskilled players in the lineup as he could find. And I don't mean he's benching flashy players for defensively responsible ones... he's benching overall good players for guys who suck offensively and defensively. For example, he's been using our worst forward (Thompson) a ridiculous amount, even though he's getting absolutely dominated. Most 5v5 TOI of any center in game 3 and most 5v5 shifts of any forward in game 4.

We're basically winning because our top forwards are carrying (in spite of the coaches best efforts), our "2nd" pair is playing great, and our goalie is saving the terrible players asses all game long.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
meant to put that here...

jvr-couts-voracek
raffl-giroux-tk
laughton-hayes-farabee
bunnaman-grant-pitlick

jvr-couts-tk
raffl-giroux-voracek

1. couts with voracek/jvr: personally, I like raffl on the second line because giroux and tk need someone who can win battles. Couts and voracek showed they can do that and are both very willing to win board battles so its not needed as much as the 2nd line needs it. Ideally, this is where lindblom can slide in. OR

2. couts with tk/jvr: couts and tk need to get going and we all know how great they can be and they can mask jvr's laziness. I want farabee with hayes and it spreads the depth out a little bit. I would not mind swapping him with raffl though as raffl/laughton has always worked out well

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Our coach is absolutely awful and he's intentionally making these games as boring and uneventful as possible because he has a weird obsession with terrible "energy" players in the playoffs.

He's benched a ton of skill and speed to have as many slow/unskilled players in the lineup as he could find. And I don't mean he's benching flashy players for defensively responsible ones... he's benching overall good players for guys who suck offensively and defensively. For example, he's been using our worst forward (Thompson) a ridiculous amount, even though he's getting absolutely dominated. Most 5v5 TOI of any center in game 3 and most 5v5 shifts of any forward in game 4.

We're basically winning because our top forwards are carrying (in spite of the coaches best efforts), our "2nd" pair is playing great, and our goalie is saving the terrible players asses all game long.

ya hab fans think we are boring but we don't usually play this type of system. AV's adjustments, and more importantly, his line combos have made this boring.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

So then the games are actually boring. That is odd, I've always enjoyed the way the flyers play. Mike Richards and oddly enough schenn were some of my favourite players when they played for the flyers.

Hopefully things get better next round.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So then the games are actually boring. That is odd, I've always enjoyed the way the flyers play. Mike Richards and oddly enough schenn were some of my favourite players when they played for the flyers.

Hopefully things get better next round.
Yup, horribly boring by design.They didn't play like this during the regular season either, which is the worst part.

He just becomes a coward as soon as the playoffs start. We were warned about this when he was hired too, so it's not new.

Hopefully he takes his head out of his ass before the next round, but I see no reason to believe that will happen, unfortunately. We won't be able to get away with it when playing a legit playoff team.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yup, horribly boring by design.They didn't play like this during the regular season either, which is the worst part.

He just becomes a coward as soon as the playoffs start. We were warned about this when he was hired too, so it's not new.

Hopefully he takes his head out of his ass before the next round, but I see no reason to believe that will happen, unfortunately. We won't be able to get away with it when playing a legit playoff team.

Yeah, that's gotta be super frustrating after the season and round robin yiu guys had.

Hopefully the GM is watching closely on what he's doing and is willing to make some changes if things don't work out.

Good luck moving forward, I'll be cheering for you guys in the east.

Reactions: Amorgus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, that's gotta be super frustrating after the season and round robin yiu guys had.

Hopefully the GM is watching closely on what he's doing and is willing to make some changes if things don't work out.

Good luck moving forward, I'll be cheering for you guys in the east.

Extremely.

And not likely. :laugh: Our GMs the one who went out and traded for the bad players he's misusing. They were our two trade deadline additions.

But yeah, good luck to you guys too.

Reactions: Tryblot

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I do think if AV had patrick, lindblom, frost (with more games under his belt) that our system would be similar to what we saw during the regular season. Next year will be a whole lot different I think. It's just frustrating because he can do that now still with correct usage. Hopefully, it changes

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Price in second game of back to backs:

2019-2020
.824 (but only .833 the day before)
.846 (But only .889 the day before)

Nothing stunning there, but his health was suspect.

2018-2019
.923 (3rd game in 4 days)
.966 (much better over previous day's .901 or whatever)
.833 (substantial 10% drop on prior game)
.950 (substantial 10% improvement on prior game)

2 stinkers, but 3 great performances after having playing before. Probably more in line with Price currently than the '19-'20 lines.

2017-2018
.920 (pulled with .750 in prior game)
.903 (dropped but still good)
.912 (3% drop from prior game

Well, at least these aren't .950s, but this is further back in time.

Hart in second game of back to backs:

2019-2020
.857 (.889 day prior)

2018-2019

Well, do with this information what you all will. Based on this I think I try running Price back-to-back if I'm Montreal. If I'm AV, hell if I know. We don't have enough of these to know how he tends to do.
It’s an elimination game. Unless he’s physically unable to go, Price will be in net.

What’s more important to me is the health of Weber. He seemed to hurt his leg late in yesterday’s game. If he’s favoring it at all the Flyers need to both softly the dump the puck on his side and/or go wide on him. Exploit any advantage that they might have.

Lets end this today boys.

GO FLYERS!!!!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The incessant whining over the game plan the last couple of games is tiresome.

Is it fun hockey to watch? In some ways, yes. In a lot of ways, no. But give the group some credit. They got shelled in game 2 trying to match Montreal's speed toe to toe in the neutral zone. They took that loss, completely regrouped, completely altered their plan, and have shutout that same team two games in a row.

Just be happy that the staff and players are aware enough to change things up when need be. That could pay dividends down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad