ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC2) Toronto Maple Leafs ‎| Series tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So what I've learned from this series is that when the Leafs win it's because they're awesome and everyone underrates them, and beating the Prez Trophy team just reinforces that. But when the Capitals win it's because the Leafs were "leafy" and doing bad leafy things, they've already overachieved, and the Caps are trash that won't make it out of the 2nd round.

Sound about right?

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
So what I've learned from this series is that when the Leafs win it's because they're awesome and everyone underrates them, and beating the Prez Trophy team just reinforces that. But when the Capitals win it's because the Leafs were "leafy" and doing bad leafy things.

Sound about right?

It's what it looked like last night. Leafs lost this one in the first with terrible decision making and no intensity.

Caps came ready to play.

By the third, the Leafs were energetic while the Caps had slowed down. Leafs were still making mostly terrible decisions with and without the puck. Example, the game winning goal.

So yea, seems about right.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
So what I've learned from this series is that when the Leafs win it's because they're awesome and everyone underrates them, and beating the Prez Trophy team just reinforces that. But when the Capitals win it's because the Leafs were "leafy" and doing bad leafy things, they've already overachieved, and the Caps are trash that won't make it out of the 2nd round.

Sound about right?

Yes. BTW it's easier when you simply don't care what others say. Trust me :)

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
The greatest D man to ever take to the ice .....Shatty.....12 min toi, the lowest by far...... and that's too much as far as I'm concerned.

He needs to step up to the hype.....Maybe he will

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Tough loss. Anderson had a bad game, and a couple flukey plays really made the difference. Tom Wilson dives to stop a rolling puck that would have gone in for the Leafs, and then the Capitals score on that same play. If that puck rolls in, it's a completely different game, and given how far Wilson was, that would have gone in 95% of the time, so good job for him diving in there.

The other flukey play was that mess that lead to the Capitals final goal. Like four Leaf players falling over each other at the blueline, knocking the puck back into our own zone and coughing the puck up on what looked like a nothing play, leading to Oshie all alone in front of the net not offside because we brought it back into our own zone by accident, rather than the Capitals bringing it back in.

Great series, very physical, every game could have gone either way, but those few plays last night that cost us are tough to swallow.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Does Andersen frequently decide to grab an opponents thigh, and stop tracking the puck? Or was this a one time thing.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So from what I gather (I didn't get a chance to see much of the game but listened to the most of the 2nd and 3rd on the radio) the Caps came out strong again, the Leafs had a bad start, then the Caps let off the gas and the Leafs clawed back...but had one REALLY bad gaf that led to the GWG and didn't have enough to tie it up.

The Leafs need to come out with a better start in Game 5, that's two games in a row the let the Caps get a decent lead.

The Caps need to keep going into the late half of the 2nd and 3rd as that's the second game in a row the Leafs out played them in the later half of the game.

Game 5 should be fun.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Caps look very beatable.

They barely won last night after taking a big lead. I expect the Leafs to come out a lot harder in game 5. Should make for another entertaining game.

I'm loving all this. Leafs weren't even supposed to be here to begin with and since they didn't get swept in 3 (lol), this is all just gravy now.

RockTheRedDC

Apr 26, 2013
People forget a few things:

-Leafs almost made the playoffs and that’s because NHL want to make more room to Canadian teams in playoffs. In a division with teams from Metro as is normal based by location, the poor Leafs will look now for a good draft pick.

-in game 3, Kuzy hit the post at the end of 3rd Leafs went to OT on PP and end of story. They were lucky.

-it is good for Caps to play a speedy team that prepares us for the next round against Pens.

-Leafs are the third most valuable team, and how many times did they make the palyoffs in the last 10 years?

-Leafs are helped a lot by the refs and everybody has seen that last night with the washed Caps good goal. WTH is what they call situational room located in Toronto? Why in Toronto? I guess they are wearing leafs jersey all night. That a big shame on NHL mafia .

Now that Caps has been weaken up, I say Caps in six. :D

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Basically every goal scored by the leafs in the series has been a fluke or lucky bounce.

Goes to show how good Holtby has been when the Leafs get scoring chances. Hard to beat him cleanly. They've had plenty of high scoring chances denied by him.

I'm not sure deflections are a fluke or lucky though. They've done a good job taking shots with traffic. Was Bozak's goal in Game 3 lucky? What about Kapanens in Game 2? Nylanders goal in Game 3? I'm not sure how that's lucky?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

-Leafs almost made the playoffs and that’s because NHL want to make more room to Canadian teams in playoffs. In a division with teams from Metro as is normal based by location, the poor Leafs will look now for a good draft pick.

-in game 3, Kuzy hit the post, Leafs went to OT on PP and end of story. They were lucky.

-it is good for Caps to play a speedy team that prepares us for the next round against Pens.

-Leafs are the third most valuable team, and how many times did they make the palyoffs in the last 10 years?

-Leafs are helped a lot by the refs and everybody has seen that last night with the washed Caps good goal. WTH is what they call situational room located in Toronto? Why in Toronto? I guess they are wearing leafs jersey all night. That a big shame on NHL mafia .

What in the world is this. :laugh: And they say Leaf fans are "special".

I do hope for your sake the Caps make it through to round 2.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014

yup...

I am bothered by blown leads of 3-1 and 4-1...

Caps giving up too many goals and against the Pens that's a loser.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec

-in game 3, Kuzy hit the post at the end of 3rd Leafs went to OT on PP and end of story. They were lucky.

So close..... but no. :laugh:

Caps barely won a game last night that they were dominating, on the score sheet and on the ice. And yet the Leafs came back to within one goal. And the gwg was on a comedy of errors by the Leafs, not anything the Caps did well. lol

Leafs are gonna come out hard in game 6. Should make for a great game.

I agree this will be over in 6 games as well. But no way can anyone predict who will actually win it. This series and all its games have been too close to call a winner.

The beauty of it all? The caps are the President's trophy winner and Leafs had the lowest pts total going into the playoffs. And yet, both teams are pretty much even out on the ice.

Leaf fan loving every minute of it, here!:yo:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So close..... but no. :laugh:

Caps barely won a game last night that they were dominating, on the score sheet and on the ice. And yet the Leafs came back to within one goal. And the gwg was on a comedy of errors by the Leafs, not anything the Caps did well. lol

Leafs are gonna come out hard in game 6. Should make for a great game.

I agree this will be over in 6 games as well. But no way can anyone predict who will actually win it. This series and all its games have been too close to call a winner.

The beauty of it all? The caps are the President's trophy winner and Leafs had the lowest pts total going into the playoffs. And yet, both teams are pretty much even out on the ice.

Leaf fan loving every minute of it, here!:yo:

Not quite. That belongs to Calgary and Nashville both had 94 points. We have 95 (along with Boston)

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa

As a Caps fan, I don't support this at all; Half your points don't even make sense. I'm going to dissect this awful-ness.

Point one: NHL wanting more Canadian teams in the playoffs? Next you'll claim chem-trails are a real thing

Point two: Ok, somewhat valid. But **** happens and we lost. IRRELEVANT

Point three: hold your horses. We need to make it past the Leafs first, we're not remotely close to the second round.

Point four: Who gives a rats ass about how valuable a team is, irrelevant.

Point five: Refs are refs, using them as an excuse is almost as pathetic as the Pens calling up Tom Sestito.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Does Andersen frequently decide to grab an opponents thigh, and stop tracking the puck? Or was this a one time thing.

in 52 years of watching hockey you would think I`ve seen everything.......that was strange :laugh:

I really thought it would be overturned..........he went out of the blue to hook him in.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad