News Article: Economical Issues in Smashville?

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
StubHub tickets were cheap in winter/spring 2012 as well. Bought many a lower bowl games for $30 or less.

The article mentions bonus tickets for STH's. I guess it's different for each package. Half season had the 12/12 Dallas game for the Gold plan and 1/14 Calgary game for the Blue plan.

I have received four extra tickets for the month of January and received two extra back in October. That basically gave me three extra games to attend with some friends who aren't STH's.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
I'm not worried about ticket sales this season. With the team playing this bad, the question
is what will the renewal rate be for next season?
If no changes are made to show the fans that they are trying to correct problems it could be bad.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
This team is not going to move.

You guys rallied around and saved the team once...you can do it again

The NHL isn't going to treat Nashville like Atlanta, when there are weaker organizations that can be moved (NJ)

The Stars, Panthers, Lightning , Canes have all weathered through periods of mediocrity and crappy attendance, yet their owners have not bailed on them- Why would this happen in Nashville, when we get better attendance (excludingthe comps) and also get the revenue of the ancillary Bridgestone Events.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
It's an easy fix. An exciting and winning team. The Preds have been neither. Until the Preds are good and fun to watch instead of mediocre or horrible ticket sales and revenue will suffer.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Look, there is not doubt we are in a down cycle right now, no arguments there. And yes, attendance is going to dip some.

But all of the things mentioned in those articles are not unique to the Predators- a great majority of franchises in all the other major sports have the exact same issues as far as ticket sales and secondary market prices.

If you don't believe it, just go check out stub hub prices for weeknight games in any sport, pro or college. You can find tickets for some NBA games for 1.00.

I would argue that the Predators attendance has held up pretty darn well considering how bad the product has been the past year and a half.......... How long that will stay the case is the big question.......

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The organization will never break even at the gate. PERIOD. It's simple math. What all the OTF hyping overlooks is that this team generates a significant amount of its money through non-hockey activity at the arena ... the Powers Management side of the house. Looking only at secondary market prices for tickets to determine if there is an economic problem is flawed. First it ignores that those tickets were already bought or comped before they hit stubhub so the team made whatever gate money it was going to already. Second, fails to account for the revenue generated by becoming a top ten venue in the US which is a major source of revenue for the org.

When the monthly and annual financial reports to the Sports Authority go to crap and the non-hockey events dry up, I'll worry.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
but with tix so cheap on the secondary market people buy there rather than from the team, right? so isn't the team still missing out on some potential revenue?

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
That secondary market puts butts in the seats which in turn brings money at the concession stands, resturants around, and parking.

I sure as hell am not going to pay $70+ for a ticket to a regular season hockey game in the lower bowl or $50+ for upper level in the middle.

Never have and never will.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
but with tix so cheap on the secondary market people buy there rather than from the team, right? so isn't the team still missing out on some potential revenue?

Minimal. The team tracks tickets sold, issued, and used. It also tracks concession sales with an understanding that a comped seat that generates in arena sales means money for the team that an empty, unsold seat doesn't generate ... another part of the team economics puzzle the OTF entries overlook.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Let's quote George Carlin, "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics." Attendance is down in the NHL as a whole. The NBA is having a hard time. They have been quoting this for a while now OTF is finally succumbing to media cynicism and choosing to pick and bend their stats.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/13/5207012/nhl-attendance-2013-lockout-comparison

Nashville is down 3% which is average in the league.

Fact is, we don't know unless we directly see the books. Nashville is down, no ****, the product is stink on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00