ECHL to Albuquerque?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
There's this thing that exists called a "Media Guide" that the ECHL produces every year.

In it, Cincinnati has only played Utah twice; both "ties" (though really that probably refers to the Cyclones losing in Overtime or Shootout).

The ECHL does allow teams to travel wherever they want to schedule, but teams like to keep things as close as possible for economic purposes. That's why, despite me wanting it, you'll never see the Adirondack Thunder play the Wichita Thunder. And out west, especially after the loss of the Pacific teams, Utah, Idaho, and Rapid City like to play one another about 15-20 times a year.

Now now, let's not ask Dumb Dumb to actually look things up in a book. He stopped reading once he got through all the Curious George books.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Yeah, you know that Salt Lake and Cincinnati are Delta hubs, right? When you call up an airline and need to book 23 tickets between two hubs, you can usually get a deal. Considering that getting a bus nowadays is around $1,800 per day plus a fuel surcharge, 23 tickets between two hubs is going to be pretty comparable.
Cincinnati being a hub for any passenger airlines is certainly news to me. Their airport is now the 7th busiest cargo airport in the US though.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Say what? Athens is the college town to end all college towns. It would be like if Ann Arbor had a minor league sports team. It would be a fun road trip I suppose but it's not feasible at all.

Athens is actually legit. One of the few cognitive thoughts he offered.

Athens, GA is building a 5,500 seat arena which they broke ground on in 2022. In the announcement, they stated their intention to bring a ECHL team in to serve as their main tenant. The league has never made an announcement, but countless sources state the ownership group owns the right to a ECHL expansion franchise. The arena opens this fall.

Reactions: dj4aces

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Athens is actually legit. One of the few cognitive thoughts he offered.

Athens, GA is building a 5,500 seat arena which they broke ground on in 2022. In the announcement, they stated their intention to bring a ECHL team in to serve as their main tenant. The league has never made an announcement, but countless sources state the ownership group owns the right to a ECHL expansion franchise. The arena opens this fall.

I stand corrected and apologize to @hockeyfan32

I just, I don't see this working. There's a lot to do in Athens to begin with for a college town and I would imagine most people have no problem going to Atlanta to get their pro sports fix.

But we'll see.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Cincinnati being a hub for any passenger airlines is certainly news to me. Their airport is now the 7th busiest cargo airport in the US though.
I didn't wanna be the first one to break it to Eddie, but Delta unofficially dropped CVG as a hub circa 2010 then the DL president announced they were dropping Cincinnati as a "focus city" in 2021.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I didn't wanna be the first one to break it to Eddie, but Delta unofficially dropped CVG as a hub circa 2010 then the DL president announced they were dropping Cincinnati as a "focus city" in 2021.
Their hub in that region is just up I-75 in Detroit

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Huh - I haven't flown Delta much since I left the south. Used to have to fly it in and out of Cincinnati every now and then. And even if it's not hub-to-hub, airlines will make a deal for groups.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Huh - I haven't flown Delta much since I left the south. Used to have to fly it in and out of Cincinnati every now and then. And even if it's not hub-to-hub, airlines will make a deal for groups.
The good news-es is: They still have a Gold Star Chili counter in the food court, AND they've still got a Graeter's ice cream stand. So no worries.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
New Mexico would definitely be an interesting market for sure. Too bad Colorado is gone. Their rivals definitely are minute away for sure though.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Skyline is the superior choice. My condolences on your weak GI tract, Eddie.

To get it back on topic. Perhaps we could see the Yotes show some interest in Prescott Valley that could sort of bridge the gap between NM and Utah.

Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Perhaps we could see the Yotes show some interest in Prescott Valley that could sort of bridge the gap between NM and Utah.
This article contains a quote from the former majority owner of the CHL's Arizona Sundogs. His words should be posted on the wall in the home of every hockey dreamer who believes in their heart of hearts that the game should be played in perpetuity in their hometown (or some other godforsaken place) ...

“In life we must learn to be all-in emotionally while at the same time, be dispassionate enough to realize the importance of being economically sustainable.”

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
This article contains a quote from the former majority owner of the CHL's Arizona Sundogs. His words should be posted on the wall in the home of every hockey dreamer who believes in their heart of hearts that the game should be played in perpetuity in their hometown (or some other godforsaken place) ...

“In life we must learn to be all-in emotionally while at the same time, be dispassionate enough to realize the importance of being economically sustainable.”
We're talking a team that had a guy live in a dumpster to drum up season ticket sales.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

They hired one of the biggest morons in sports business and he started to run them into the ground. They managed to survive for a bit after gassing his ass, but the damage was already done.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This project has new life. I talked with someone who is in a group that is looking at putting a team in Rio Rancho and supposedly they have substantial backing

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
This project has new life. I talked with someone who is in a group that is looking at putting a team in Rio Rancho and supposedly they have substantial backing.

Hi did they say when more info will be released on a team in Albuquerque area.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They did not. It is just a preliminary look and nothing is set in stone yet, but it is a different group than originally planned. This group, unlike the one with Jerry James, is in the good graces of the league.

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
Thank you for keeping us informed. I greatly appreciate your insight
even when you have been under attack. People have their different
opinions that they are entitled to and some are pretty passionate

Thank you for your kindness and understanding
Best wishes to you now and in the future

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Thank you for keeping us informed. I greatly appreciate your insight
even when you have been under attack. People have their different
opinions that they are entitled to and some are pretty passionate

Thank you for your kindness and understanding
Best wishes to you now and in the future
This sounds like the opening to either a SEO optimization solicitation or a Nigerian prince scam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad