ECHL testing Video Replay during the 2018-19 Season

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Long time ECHL fan/season ticket holder here.

Not for it for regular season use. Part of the charm of the low minors is that it lacks some of the polish of the higher up leagues. It's cool watching a ref and linesman not knowing if a shot went in or not and having to consult a (homer) goal judge.

Maybe in the league finals. Florida may or may not have scored another goal ( I was at the other end of the arena) which could have altered a game 7 result. So maybe a pilot test for use only in the playoffs.

Reactions: JMCx4

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The goal is to get the call right, and for things such as goals, that's important. We've had a couple of instances where the referee has had to talk to the goal judge this year, and most of the time, they get it right, but we're not always certain. Glad to see this implemented to be sure.

Thankfully, it's *only* for goals (did it cross the line at all, kicking/throwing/batting, did it cross before buzzer or before the net was knocked off the pegs). Offside reviews and goaltender interference reviews have really hurt the NHL, IMO.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Does anyone have any insight on this? Will it just be cameras looking down on the net or any net cams?

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Does anyone have any insight on this? Will it just be cameras looking down on the net or any net cams?

I believe in Toledo & Kalamazoo (which are two of the buildings where replay is being piloted this year in our division), they're stationary cams directly above the goal line.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Anyone have any photos of how these are setup? Just curious how they will work
I don't have any photos...but there are cameras set above the nets showing the goal line. The referee watches the video on a tablet at the scorer's table and rules on the play after watching. It's been used in Worcester a few times and has been relatively quick most times.

Reactions: Growlers

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Don't several ECHL barns already have overhead cams over the goal line? I know the Eagles had one for at least the last 2 years they were in the E.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I thought this was interesting.
Once installed, the solution will also give each team access to Sporfie’s Instant Highlights capability, allowing marketing staff to instantly share video clips with fans on social networks.
Will teams put the goal review video on twitter "instantly", so fans can be looking at the same replay the ref is seeing, in real time, on their phones or tablets? That would be great. Sometimes they don't get the replay up on the video board right away, and of course you can't pause and rewind yourself when you are at the game like you can when watching at home on TV. Having that capability in the arena would be a real improvement.

Reactions: sporfieemily

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Will teams put the goal review video on twitter "instantly", so fans can be looking at the same replay the ref is seeing, in real time, on their phones or tablets? That would be great. Sometimes they don't get the replay up on the video board right away, and of course you can't pause and rewind yourself when you are at the game like you can when watching at home on TV. Having that capability in the arena would be a real improvement.

I've been told that it is intentionally not on the video board while refs are reviewing the play.

No idea how "instant" it appears on the app but I'll check it this weekend if I remember.

Reactions: sporfieemily

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's a violation of the current ECHL rules to show the play that is being reviewed on any video board in the arena. It's been a longstanding rule in the AHL as well.
I BELIEVE THE NHL or the TV Networks also are not allowed to show any replay that's being looked at unless it's the direct feed from the replay center

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
You believe incorrectly. TV networks can show any replay they have access to at any time.

Those replays won't incite the crowd like a replay on the video board would. There's a reason why such things are usually not shown in the arena (especially if the crowd disagrees with the official's final determination).

sporfieemily

Mar 27, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
www.sporfie.com

Hi all, My name is Emily and I work at Sporfie, the company partnering with the ECHL to implement Instant Replay.

Fans at the game do have the ability to download the app, which would basically allow you the same capabilities as the marketing staff. With the Sporfie app, you can save the past 15 seconds of action from all available angles: the two overhead cameras (aka the angles used by the refs to make calls) as well as the professional live feed.

Additionally, some teams have opted to add more angles, such as a bench cam (in Allen) or cameras behind each next. Also, some fans at Allen have been using the Sporfie app to save and replay highlights for almost two seasons.

If you want to see an example of how the team's marketing staff can use Instant Highlights to their full advantage, check out Toledo's Twitter feed: Toledo Walleye (@ToledoWalleye) | Twitter

I hope that answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask me any questions you have!

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Hi all, My name is Emily and I work at Sporfie, the company partnering with the ECHL to implement Instant Replay.

Fans at the game do have the ability to download the app, which would basically allow you the same capabilities as the marketing staff. With the Sporfie app, you can save the past 15 seconds of action from all available angles: the two overhead cameras (aka the angles used by the refs to make calls) as well as the professional live feed.

Additionally, some teams have opted to add more angles, such as a bench cam (in Allen) or cameras behind each next. Also, some fans at Allen have been using the Sporfie app to save and replay highlights for almost two seasons.

If you want to see an example of how the team's marketing staff can use Instant Highlights to their full advantage, check out Toledo's Twitter feed: Toledo Walleye (@ToledoWalleye) | Twitter

I hope that answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask me any questions you have!
Thanks Emily. That sounds great. I'm really looking forward to using the app next season. The Royals have a lot of sponsor deals where they have to play an ad, or show a video on the scoreboard, so they don't always show replays when I want to see them. Having the ability to look back at play and see what happened will be awesome.

Is there any kind of fee or subscription for fans to use the app, or all the costs covered by the team/league?

sporfieemily

Mar 27, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
www.sporfie.com
Thanks Emily. That sounds great. I'm really looking forward to using the app next season. The Royals have a lot of sponsor deals where they have to play an ad, or show a video on the scoreboard, so they don't always show replays when I want to see them. Having the ability to look back at play and see what happened will be awesome.

Is there any kind of fee or subscription for fans to use the app, or all the costs covered by the team/league?

Nope, no cost to fans at all.

In addition to ECHL games, the Sporfie app can also be used (free of charge) for amateur and youth sports. For example, at a youth game, one person can add their phone as a shared camera that films for everyone. Then, everyone else at the game can open the app on their own device and save highlights when they want from all angles filming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad