ECHL teams will announce their season-ending rosters on June 15?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This League media release from 2017 outlines the rules for players placed on existing teams' season-ending rosters and subsequent signings. That along with the individual team announcements should give fans of a team new to the League some clues as to which players will be available this summer. From the ECHL's most recent expansion history, the Railers signed their first player on June 16th of last year.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I read this in an article and was wondering if someone can explain what it means, please ?

"ECHL teams will announce their season-ending rosters on June 15?"

I'm a fan of the new team in Newfoundland. So wondering when can we expect to hear some players being signed.

Source: New Canadian rivalry is an opportunity for the ECHL

June 16th is the first day ECHL teams can sign players to 2018-19 contracts...

Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Thanks for the info!

Pretty much the only players available to Maine and Newfoundland on that date will be college, junior, and European free agents (in June 2019 you'll be able to re-sign your own guys on the signing date). On July 1st every North American pro free agent can be signed.

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Basically, the league year ends on June 15 & the next one begins June 16.

Teams announce their end-of-season rosters, which are largely procedural. What's interesting is to see if someone was under contract and left off the roster, as that player becomes a UFA. They'll also announce protected lists, which are again procedural, but allow a team to protect someone who was on the roster the year before or the start of the year and finished the season in a different league. Teams have the exclusive ECHL right to sign any player from their own protected list until June 30.

All players from Quad City's roster are UFAs.

The *really* important one to follow is when the teams announce their qualified offer lists - teams are allowed to give qualifying offers to up to eight players, and the team retains the rights for up to one year (non-vets) or Aug. 1 (vets) to that player. Teams may sign others who do not count against that eight-player "protected" limit (but not necessarily announce the signings - I know some teams like to spread signing announcements out and release one or two a week, so there's constant news over the summer).

If you're a Newfoundland or Maine fan, keep an eye on college FAs, as well as players not protected from other teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Teams announce their end-of-season rosters, which are largely procedural. What's interesting is to see if someone was under contract and left off the roster, as that player becomes a UFA. They'll also announce protected lists, which are again procedural, but allow a team to protect someone who was on the roster the year before or the start of the year and finished the season in a different league. Teams have the exclusive ECHL right to sign any player from their own protected list until June 30.

The *really* important one to follow is when the teams announce their qualified offer lists - teams are allowed to give qualifying offers to up to eight players, and the team retains the rights for up to one year (non-vets) or Aug. 1 (vets) to that player. Teams may sign others who do not count against that eight-player "protected" limit (but not necessarily announce the signings - I know some teams like to spread signing announcements out and release one or two a week, so there's constant news over the summer).

If you're a Newfoundland or Maine fan, keep an eye on college FAs, as well as players not protected from other teams.
ever since Portland hired its coach in Riley Armstrong, that's been his primary focus independent of the affiliation deal with the Rangers, it's nothing either city hasn't had experience with previously it's those tweaks to what the AHL does as compared to what the ECHL does.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

The bold part is incorrect. League year ends in 6/30, and begins in 7/1. That's why qualifying offers are due by 11:59pm EDT on 6/30, after that it's a new league year.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the league wide protected lists for those active members of the ECHL have been released..... missing are the 2 expansion teams, Quad City, as Crimson referenced, as is Colorado, now are those contracted to the Eagles classified as what Quad City would've had protected....?

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
the league wide protected lists for those active members of the ECHL have been released..... missing are the 2 expansion teams, Quad City, as Crimson referenced, as is Colorado, now are those contracted to the Eagles classified as what Quad City would've had protected....?

All Colorado players under ECHL contracts will be unrestricted free agents this summer.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and 210

Growler

May 16, 2018
I read this in an article and was wondering if someone can explain what it means, please ?

"ECHL teams will announce their season-ending rosters on June 15?"

I'm a fan of the new team in Newfoundland. So wondering when can we expect to hear some players being signed.

Source: New Canadian rivalry is an opportunity for the ECHL

Some good posts above. Plus, expect the Marlies to step in here in a pretty significant way. The past 3 years, no AHL team has signed more AHL contracts than the Marlies (48), and no team has assigned more of them to the ECHL than the Marlies (e.g. 12 last year). There is already an article published in the Telegram that this will continue. Considering only 18 players are normally dressed each game, that's a pretty big chunk. Last year on any given Solar Bear game ~10 of the 18 dressed players were under Marlie contracts. Given that this is the first year of operations for the Growlers and as such have no protected players to begin with, I am expecting the Marlies to maybe assign more than 12 to the ECHL. No one is going to want to ice a weak hockey team in year 1 and the Leafs have the money to prevent that from happening.

However, I do think though that the Growlers will not have problems filling-out their roster with native-born NFLD. players on ECHL contracts. The Solar Bears certainly were not a great squad, but I expect the Growlers to be pretty respectable out of the gate.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Allen announced their protected list today. (Haven't looks to see if other teams have posted theirs)

So season ending rosters should be coming soon.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
However, I do think though that the Growlers will not have problems filling-out their roster with native-born NFLD. players on ECHL contracts.

Focusing on NFLD players only for ECHL contracts might not be the best idea (no offense). Pick up 4 solid vets from wherever (Colorado) and then go with NFLD guys, maybe 4 at most.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The bold part is incorrect. League year ends in 6/30, and begins in 7/1. That's why qualifying offers are due by 11:59pm EDT on 6/30, after that it's a new league year.

Officially, you are correct, the league year begins July 1.

Practically, futures trades have to be done a day or two before, but season-ending rosters have to be posted by June 15. Teams may begin signing players off the protected list for the following season and make QO's to those who are unsigned on June 16, so in a practical sense, a season's books are closed on June 15 & the new rosters begin being formed the next day (even though, as you note, contracts essentially run 7/1 to 6/30).

Growler

May 16, 2018
Focusing on NFLD players only for ECHL contracts might not be the best idea (no offense). Pick up 4 solid vets from wherever (Colorado) and then go with NFLD guys, maybe 4 at most.
I agree. A few are good. Maybe bringing in some veterans from Europe or something.

Growler

May 16, 2018
I spaced Colorado moving up to the AHL, but yes, their players are FA's, too. That team has been loaded the last couple of years, so I'd expect a lot of interest in their players.
Especially Joly. He might even get an NHL contract - finally.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Having a few local guys on the team will help sell tickets - critical in Year 1 - and NFLD would certainly have the inside track on recruiting them, but limiting yourself to those players would be difficult.

The New England teams have a slight leg up as a TON of guys on ECHL contracts are ex-college guys, and the fans would likely be familiar already with the players from Hockey East/ECAC schools. But the end goal is to ice the most competitive team possible.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
We could be looking at guys like Zach Obrien, James Melindy, as well as any Q player leaving the league. Zach would be huge, being from St.John's. Colin Greening won't be getting another NHL contract so he's a thought.

Reactions: Growler

Growler

May 16, 2018
We could be looking at guys like Zach Obrien, James Melindy, as well as any Q player leaving the league. Zach would be huge, being from St.John's. Colin Greening won't be getting another NHL contract so he's a thought.
I am watching out for MLSE to offer a coaching transition role for Greening. I could see him being offered an AHL contract with the intent of being a Reg Dunlop on the Growlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad