ECHL team in Mississauga

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hope the Orlando Solar Bears, our ECHL affiliate, are moved closer at some point. When could such a move happen? Is it even viable that they move?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
There is an ECHL team in Brampton.

And no I don't blame anyone who didn't know that. I myself only found out when I started working in Brampton and passed the arena every day.

The Brampton Beast they are called, play at the old home of the Battalion, on Kennedy St, just north of the 407

LeafsFIO*

Because Mississauga can't support the OHL, let alone the OHL and ECHL

Thread closed.

MapleLife*

It's true that for whatever reason, Mississauga can't support a team. Probably cause we're so close to Toronto. We lost the OHL Ice Dogs and now the Majors aren't doing so hot

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not sure the contract with Orlando, but Brampton was up for an affiliation change a month ago and ended up with the Habs. If the Leafs really wanted this, I'm sure they would have made it happen a month ago.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

And no I don't blame anyone who didn't know that. I myself only found out when I started working in Brampton and passed the arena every day.

The Brampton Beast they are called, play at the old home of the Battalion, on Kennedy St, just north of the 407
Thats great news, im assuming the Leafs will utilize that option once available.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
It's true that for whatever reason, Mississauga can't support a team. Probably cause we're so close to Toronto. We lost the OHL Ice Dogs and now the Majors aren't doing so hot
Mississauga has jobs, office buildings, houses, condos, a major shopping mall, a few minor shopping malls and a bunch of plazas. That just about sums up Mississauga. Mississauga is boring, like any other suburb. The whole point of Mississauga is to breed, work and raise a family. Mississauga's "downtown" has a big shopping mall, a movie theatre, major chain restaurants/bars, coffee shops, grocery stores, Playdium, a library, Living Arts Centre and a bunch of condominums. That's pretty much it. And if you don't live in a City Centre condo, you're going to need a car and drive everywhere. And you venture too far away from City Centre, you're going to need a car regardless. Now compare that to Toronto's downtown where a lot of places are within walking distance. Or you can just take the streetcar/bus or bike. If you live in the 416 suburbs like Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, etc. you'll need a car and those areas are boring as well. So I'm not singling out Mississauga or the 905 in general.

I don't think the local culture here in Mississauga jives well with CHL hockey. Very few people in Mississauga care about the CHL. Very few people will care about the Raptors 905 as well. People here would rather watch the Leafs and Raptors on TV than drive 10 mins or so to the Hershey's Centre to watch a CHL game. And the Majors are not even very good no? When was the last time you've heard of a hot CHL prospect coming out of Mississauga?

Last edited:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Mississauga has jobs, office buildings, houses, bedrooms, a major shopping mall, a few minor shopping malls and a bunch of plazas. That just about sums up Mississauga. Mississauga is boring, like any other suburb.

I don't think the local culture here in Mississauga jives well with CHL hockey. Very few people in Mississauga care about the CHL. Very few people will care about the Raptors 905 as well.

There's over 700,000 people in town.The team would need to be promoted properly.
But I know what you mean about the "culture".There are a lot of non hockey types living here.
also it depends what you call a "major mall".The shopping options in the area are quite extensive.A lot of people I know come here from TO to shop

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal
Mississauga has jobs, office buildings, houses, condos, a major shopping mall, a few minor shopping malls and a bunch of plazas. That just about sums up Mississauga. Mississauga is boring, like any other suburb. The whole point of Mississauga is to breed, work and raise a family. Mississauga's "downtown" has a big shopping mall, a movie theatre, major chain restaurants/bars, coffee shops, grocery stores, Playdium, a library, Living Arts Centre and a bunch of condominums. That's pretty much it. And if you don't live in a City Centre condo, you're going to need a car and drive everywhere. And you venture too far away from City Centre, you're going to need a car regardless. Now compare that to Toronto's downtown where a lot of places are within walking distance. Or you can just take the streetcar/bus or bike. If you live in the 416 suburbs like Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, etc. you'll need a car and those areas are boring as well. So I'm not singling out Mississauga or the 905 in general.

I don't think the local culture here in Mississauga jives well with CHL hockey. Very few people in Mississauga care about the CHL. Very few people will care about the Raptors 905 as well. People here would rather watch the Leafs and Raptors on TV than drive 10 mins or so to the Hershey's Centre to watch a CHL game. And the Majors are not even very good no? When was the last time you've heard of a hot CHL prospect coming out of Mississauga?

The Steelheads aren't that great, but they do have Sean Day (exceptional player status).

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Wait, are you telling me the Square One is 'downtown Mississauga'? Lol, not that I don't believe you, I've just only ever seen it from the GO Station.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What would be the advantage?

Players demoted to the ECHL are ones not good enough for the AHL and there is seldom other than an extreme emergency recall situation where you would recall an ECHLer to play on your NHL team as a fill-in.

Your ECHL team could essentially be located in Europe for all it mattered.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Players demoted to the ECHL are ones not good enough for the AHL and there is seldom other than an extreme emergency recall situation where you would recall an ECHLer to play on your NHL team as a fill-in.

Because the Leafs want to use it as a developmental tool? that's why.
they want to change what they use the ECHL for.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

This is a pretty pre-historic way of thinking about the ECHL. I personally don't have the same view points as drafted players are typically held in priority over walk-ons who are sent down.

If you have the Leafs, Marlies and ECHL teams within a smaller radius more attention on development can be put forward. There's a lot of good players to come out of the ECHL. Hockey is an extremely political sport and there's definitely a bias toward the ECHL players.

Agree to disagree :)

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I wouldn't consider North York as a suburb, that aside it takes like 20 minutes (if that) to get from North York to the ACC at any time of day.That's not that big of a trek.:dunno:

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

They are already affiliated with Montreal

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Because the Leafs want to use it as a developmental tool? that's why.
they want to change what they use the ECHL for.

The ECHL is an overflow for the AHL. Teams don't send their best prospects to the East Coast league,and the ones good enough make it back the AHL and then the NHL.

An affiliation with a ECHL doesn't give a team control its simply an agreement to supply the team (on the NHL's team dime) talent for the league.

You are only allowed 50 pro contracts so between the NHL and AHL most of those are used up and just a few players are loaned to the ECHL.

What the ECHL is good for is spreading hockey to areas for fans where they don't have access to NHL or AHL teams close by.

wulfio*

I don't think Canada is a good market for ECHL. I think it would be the 4th choice for people after NHL, AHL, CHL. Maybe if you went more rural where there's only really OHL or Tier 2 as options for people. But then you need to find somewhere that is densely populated enough that it can draw from several municipalities. I believe it would be slightly more popular than Tier 2 or Sr. A.

Brantford/Woodstock is the only place I can think of in Southern Ontario.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

And no I don't blame anyone who didn't know that.
I myself only found out when I started working in Brampton and passed the arena every day.

I think this pretty much sums up the appetite for ECHL hockey anywhere in the GTA.

Absolutely no sound business case for putting a team in this area.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The CHL should be the ones getting priority treatment to teams in the GTA as they are the greatest development and feeder league for the NHL. More players are drafted each year from the CHL than the rest of the World combined.

You simply don't need an ECHL team in the area with a sprinkle of depth & long-shot prospects on it. If Leafs want their ECHL team closer let them share the Ricoh Arena with the Marlies like the Leafs do the ACC with the Raptors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad