ECHL/CHL Merger rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Do the Aces subsidize a part of the travel costs for teams coming up to play them?

I know the University of Alaska Fairbanks and University of Alaska Anchorage pay a certain amount for every conference member of their hockey conference to travel up to play them. And Abbotsford, BC in the AHL had a similar setup where they helped offset part of the cost of travel to all AHL teams that flew to them.

IrascibleOne

Sep 14, 2005
Anchorage, AK
I honestly think the travel to Alaska gets overblown. It's the difference between a few more hours in the air to fly to AK vs. a long bus ride somewhere else. Most guys I know would rather fly. I've never talked to anyone playing on the West coast who has complained about flying to Alaska... not one.

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
The players don't mind flying, it's the owners having to pay for it that are hurt. Cincy paid a fortune to get in and out of Alaska at playoffs. I want to say I was told like 50 grand (that could have been the total for both teams). Regular season travel is probably a little easier to manage because you can have some advance booking on the flights, but for playoffs the costs were huge. And the players wound up spread over 4 different flights so they could all get there.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
ECHL/CHL Merger

I just spoke to someone from ECHL on the phone and the person had told me that.That was news to him and nothings done.

IrascibleOne

Sep 14, 2005
Anchorage, AK
The players don't mind flying, it's the owners having to pay for it that are hurt. Cincy paid a fortune to get in and out of Alaska at playoffs. I want to say I was told like 50 grand (that could have been the total for both teams). Regular season travel is probably a little easier to manage because you can have some advance booking on the flights, but for playoffs the costs were huge. And the players wound up spread over 4 different flights so they could all get there.

Such is life in minor hockey. I guess they could have just forfeited the series if the travel costs weren't worth it to them. Something tells me they wouldn't be complaining if they had won the championship.

:dunno:

They're going to pay short-notice prices on airline tickets during the playoffs no matter where they're headed. Yeah, I'm sure they were a bit higher to Alaska than... oh, I don't know... let's say, Bakersfield. A short-notice ticket is pricey no matter the destination, though.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
No announcement yet, with ECHL camps opening soon there would be announcement if there was a deal very soon!

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
No announcement yet, with ECHL camps opening soon there would be announcement if there was a deal very soon!

Sounds like there might be some BIG obstacles in the negotiations. Anyone want to bet how difficult the Stevens' Brothers are making this? They opposed the original merger vote, and I'm sure their 43% stake in the CHL is giving them more motivation to sink this deal.

I think they could end up sinking themselves if they don't finally accept reality. The CHL in its present form will not last long.

hoodle

Jun 25, 2014
I imagine they are asking for an excessive amount of money to sell off two of the three teams, and if they don't get it, then they will keep this from happening. They are playing an expensive game of chicken, and realistically they need the ECHL more so than the ECHL needs them. They can wait the Stevens brothers out and leave them with nothing...

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If indeed they are holding this deal hostage, then in my opinion they don't know or at least refuse to do what's best for their teams (or at least Witchita). Like someone said they need the ECHL more than the ECHL needs them

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
The "Merger" / Absorption is getting close

From Darryl Wolski's twitter:

"ECHL and Central Hockey League merger is finalized and all coaches to meet in Chicago #echl #chl"

Much like the WCHL / ECHL "merger", I would expect the CHL teams to join the ECHL. From the ECHL website:

"The East Coast Hockey League and West Coast Hockey League did not merge. The WCHL ceased operations after completing its season in 2002-03. The teams from the defunct WCHL, along with Las Vegas, joined as expansion teams for the ECHL’s 16th season in 2003-04. "

Of course if the expansion fee is only $50K or less, who really won the battle.

Al?

RLR

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
It probably would just be a play out of the last season of the CHL then teams will be let go or asked to join the ECHL. It is sad in a way seeing the CHL go down after a long history. But oh well hopefully we will have better hockey in the future.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The WCHL absorption was announced prior to the beginning of the WCHL's final season -- they played out one final independent season knowing it was the last, then the teams joined the ECHL for the next season.

I would be surprised if something other than that structure played out in this case, assuming there's fire behind all this smoke.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
With training camps being 2 or 3 days away and the ECHL anouncing submitted training camp rosters. I'm thinking that we will see an anouncement for 2015-16 at this point. Honestly I think everyone is best served holding out another season in seperate leagues but working together to get out the fine details. There was too much to do and so little time to do it, so it would really surprise me if anything is anounced this weekend with camps starting to open on Monday and Tuesday.

The CHL should have been discussing a merger or agreement or whatever in May with the ECHL if they were wanting in for this season. I believe there is some sort of agreement in place for the CHL franchises to join the ECHL however I think at this point it is for 15-16.

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013
With training camps being 2 or 3 days away and the ECHL anouncing submitted training camp rosters. I'm thinking that we will see an anouncement for 2015-16 at this point. Honestly I think everyone is best served holding out another season in seperate leagues but working together to get out the fine details. There was too much to do and so little time to do it, so it would really surprise me if anything is anounced this weekend with camps starting to open on Monday and Tuesday.

I've heard the merger is a go for tomorrow. :handclap:

StingraysFan

Jun 20, 2014
Source: Sports Illustrated

Several West Coast-based NHL teams, including the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks have expressed concerns with the expense, time and travel barriers that come with having AHL teams based on the East Coast. It's believed that there have been discussions that would see some teams from the current ECHL, including California's Ontario, Bakersfield and Stockton franchises, jump up a level to the AHL with current affiliates in Manchester, N.H., Norfolk, Va., and Worcester, Mass. possibly dropping to the ECHL.

CHL teams join the ECHL this season, add 6 games to get them to 72 but will be very little cross-over until the playoffs. in 2014

Ontario, Bakersfield, and Stockton to the AHL in 2015
Norfolk, Worcester, and Manchester to the ECHL in 2015

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/10/06/source-echl-chl-merger-be-confirmed-next-week

NHL Brass want a 30-30-30 set-up and will use for reduced expenses and increased promotion and sales between NHL/AHL/ECHL.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would've expected the CHL franchises starting training camp today then as most of the ECHL did. Unless they are going to have the leagues use their separate schedules for this season.

StingraysFan

Jun 20, 2014
Details were that they would use their separate schedules for now and CHL would be their own "conference" within the ECHL but add 6 games against themselves to get to 72. The CHL "conference" will earn a bid to the ECHL playoffs. Starting next season the CHL teams will be fully integrated within the ECHL and the E will have new divisions as the E will lose 3 or 4 teams to the AHL and gain 3 eastern AHL teams. Good times...

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Source: Sports Illustrated

Several West Coast-based NHL teams, including the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks have expressed concerns with the expense, time and travel barriers that come with having AHL teams based on the East Coast. It's believed that there have been discussions that would see some teams from the current ECHL, including California's Ontario, Bakersfield and Stockton franchises, jump up a level to the AHL with current affiliates in Manchester, N.H., Norfolk, Va., and Worcester, Mass. possibly dropping to the ECHL.

CHL teams join the ECHL this season, add 6 games to get them to 72 but will be very little cross-over until the playoffs. in 2014

Ontario, Bakersfield, and Stockton to the AHL in 2015
Norfolk, Worcester, and Manchester to the ECHL in 2015

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/10/06/source-echl-chl-merger-be-confirmed-next-week

NHL Brass want a 30-30-30 set-up and will use for reduced expenses and increased promotion and sales between NHL/AHL/ECHL.

Sports Illustrated/ Really?

Teams just don't drop. Manchester will never go to the ECHL, neither will Worcester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad