ECHL announces Lake Tahoe expansion team for 2024-25

elmo13

Jan 18, 2023
How is a team with a maximum capacity of 4200 going to be able to afford to fly everywhere outside of Utah or Idaho?
Owners with deep pockets. This group already owns the Jacksonville and Savanah franchises.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Owners with deep pockets. This group already owns the Jacksonville and Savanah franchises.
Zawyer Sports & Entertainment is not part of the ownership group. They will manage Lake Tahoe ECHL team like they already do with the Atlanta Gladiators.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
No "well duh" nothing, the crazy Stocton fans were wanting their name and logo back! There was an ambitious campaign to lobby the board of trustees, the federation, and even got the assistance of Otis Bonk offical liaison of the minor league sports board of the Caliafornia Capitol Exposition group to repatriate the name and logo back to Stoncton....Yea major efforts going on, no joke.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
No "well duh" nothing, the crazy Stocton fans were wanting their name and logo back! There was an ambitious campaign to lobby the board of trustees, the federation, and even got the assistance of Otis Bonk offical liaison of the minor league sports board of the Caliafornia Capitol Exposition group to repatriate the name and logo back to Stoncton....Yea major efforts going on, no joke.

Reactions: GindyDraws

SkeeterPumpkinEater

Dec 2, 2021
Lake Tahoe is the shit. I did a big drywall project out there with my boy sebby and we stayed a week extra just to get rowdy you hear me?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Ideally, the hope is this news sparks interest in expansion in Stockton or another California market to minimize travel costs and create a Pacific division again. But currently Rapid City plays Utah and Idaho 70 times a season and they're on the crummy side of South Dakota that just happened to have a giant landmark for tourists.
I won't question your scheduling math. But the Rush are not dependent on tourism to get butts in seats. It would be the very rare attendee who trekked to The Black Hills & Badlands to snap a photo of George Washington's nose with snow on it, then said to themselves: "Didn't I read somewhere that the Steelheads are in town for three weeks? I think I'll take in a hockey game while I'm here." :rolleyes:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I won't question your scheduling math. But the Rush are not dependent on tourism to get butts in seats. It would be the very rare attendee who trekked to The Black Hills & Badlands to snap a photo of George Washington's nose with snow on it, then said to themselves: "Didn't I read somewhere that the Steelheads are in town for three weeks? I think I'll take in a hockey game while I'm here." :rolleyes:
No reasonable person books a week-long vacation in Rapid City in January.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Well Stockton is going to have to come up with a whole new identity and brand lol. With Stockton all excited to become an AHL club (maybe not the fans, they like the Adirondack Flame fans didn't have much choice) the powers that be sent the Thunder brand to Upstate NY as the Adirondack Thunder. Well the Thunder brand has long grown on the fan base here and they are Thunderstruck lol. Will Stockton ever welcome back the ECHL, especially now since the Thunder identity has long since been adopted with open arms elsewhere?? Congrats however to Reno/Lake Tahoe on finally landing the hockey club. Nice to see the ECHL shoring up its western footprint. Be cool to maybe see a Wyoming club in there. Hope Iowa can last, so far support there hasn't been too impressive yet they play in a beautiful barn in a great area.

Good point, the ECHL would definitely never allow multiple teams to be named the Thunder...

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't know, we are imagining the type of person who gets excited about going to a new place purely for the fast food places that are in that region.

Or...

My point is, we are dealing with someone who doesn't think rationally.

That's like thinking Albany, New York is a great minor-league sports market!

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I do sympathize with the issues regarding cost of living for employees in situations like this. But there’s a qualifier here. The wages will be higher, full stop.

Carson City is a half hour away in good weather. Median home price… $450K.

In Portland, Oregon, the supposedly dying city… $560K, and going up after a bit of a down cycle for two years. Frankly, Portland needed more correction than what it got.

Thing is, you go down the Willamette Valley from Portland and there’s barely any drop off. Maybe Salem is cheaper, but charming towns like Newberg, McMinnville, and Silverton… brace yourselves. And maybe don’t even look at Bend over the Cascades. That’s not even California we’re talking about, and don’t get me started about San Francisco.

That is simply the west coast economy circa 2023.

Meanwhile, my daughter is all but closed on a house in Pittsburgh, about 3 miles from downtown, for $185K. MY DAUGHTER! (she can’t be out of grade school yet, no?) Shrug. This got brought up yesterday because a friend paid $1.70 for a coffee in St. Louis for what goes minimum $4 here. Just saying.

Reactions: Francis10

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I do sympathize with the issues regarding cost of living for employees in situations like this. But there’s a qualifier here. The wages will be higher, full stop.

Carson City is a half hour away in good weather. Median home price… $450K.

In Portland, Oregon, the supposedly dying city… $560K, and going up after a bit of a down cycle for two years. Frankly, Portland needed more correction than what it got.

Thing is, you go down the Willamette Valley from Portland and there’s barely any drop off. Maybe Salem is cheaper, but charming towns like Newberg, McMinnville, and Silverton… brace yourselves. And maybe don’t even look at Bend over the Cascades. That’s not even California we’re talking about, and don’t get me started about San Francisco.

That is simply the west coast economy circa 2023.

Meanwhile, my daughter is all but closed on a house in Pittsburgh, about 3 miles from downtown, for $185K. MY DAUGHTER! (she can’t be out of grade school yet, no?) Shrug. This got brought up yesterday because a friend paid $1.70 for a coffee in St. Louis for what goes minimum $4 here. Just saying.
As for Carson City, sure, it's a half-hour away in good weather. What's the weather like in the high sierras during hockey season? There's a reason Tahoe is a ski resort town.

I mean, will wages really be higher? The arena has 4,500 seats. They'd better sell it out every night. If there's a median ticket price of $18, and they sell out every game, that's $2.9 million in revenue. Assume another $1 million in corporate sponsorships and trade deals above that. $3.9 million in revenue doesn't go far in Lake Tahoe. Jacking ticket prices higher will only price fans out of the games.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
As for Carson City, sure, it's a half-hour away in good weather. What's the weather like in the high sierras during hockey season? There's a reason Tahoe is a ski resort town.

I mean, will wages really be higher? The arena has 4,500 seats. They'd better sell it out every night. If there's a median ticket price of $18, and they sell out every game, that's $2.9 million in revenue. Assume another $1 million in corporate sponsorships and trade deals above that. $3.9 million in revenue doesn't go far in Lake Tahoe. Jacking ticket prices higher will only price fans out of the games.
My corner seat for the USPHL Idaho Falls Spud Kings was $20 plus $6.75 in Ticketmaster fees and that place was 95% full.

The wages are higher here, though I can point to many things rather out of balance out west.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Meanwhile, my daughter is all but closed on a house in Pittsburgh, about 3 miles from downtown, for $185K. MY DAUGHTER! (she can’t be out of grade school yet, no?) Shrug. This got brought up yesterday because a friend paid $1.70 for a coffee in St. Louis for what goes minimum $4 here. Just saying.
That's it - NEXT ECHL EXPANSION TO ST. LOUIS! Lukewarm coffee for everyone. :badidea:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Only if they play in the Family Arena
Not meaning to be the guy that kills the joke, but after the disaster that was the St. Charles Chill, the Family Arena management is firmly against having a hockey tenant and making ice other than for certain events.

On the other side of the coin, nobody except a severely underfunded indoor soccer team that should be out of business, and the occasional arena football team that announces but never plays a game, nobody wants to be a tenant at such a run down facility like the Family Arena.

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
I bet the Manchester guy isn't too happy about this one...

This one seems surprising to me. I wonder what the affiliation and branding will be

Official team name is the Tahoe Knight Monsters.
Obviously going for an affiliation with the Golden Knights.
Good looking logo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad