ECHL Affiliations

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
CHRDANHUTCH, I am getting a little tired of you responding to my posts with a patronizing, correcting tone. It is especially annoying when the majority of your "corrective" posts are wrong (other posters usually make sure of that) and often barely intelligible.

Welcome to HFBoards Other Leagues Forums!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
From ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna in 2016:

The league is at 27 teams now, and "the immediate goal" is to get to 30 during the next 12 to 18 months to match the current totals in the NHL and AHL.
"We want to get to that 30-team model and keep it there, but we have a lot of teams now that have been in existence for 15, 20, 25 years in their current markets," McKenna said. "Even smaller markets, places like Wheeling, West Virginia, have been in our league and have been valued members for many years. I think [team movement] is a function of minor league sports. … If better opportunities, newer facilities become available, then there will always be some movement at the margins, but certainly a lot less than we've seen in the last couple of decades." Regardless, the NHL and AHL clearly value the ECHL as a developmental league. ECHL teams have affiliations with 26 of the NHL's 30 teams and 26 of the AHL's 30 teams.

ECHL grows into starting point toward NHL

CHRDANHUTCH, I am getting a little tired of you responding to my posts with a patronizing, correcting tone. It is especially annoying when the majority of your "corrective" posts are wrong (other posters usually make sure of that) and often barely intelligible.
excuse me, but your thread starter post comparing two "expansion" franchises was that needed or necessary two weeks into a league year, and what would've happened if Newfoundland never was approved for 2018/19, Growler?

the league has been at 27 teams. it isn't getting to 30, 31, or 32 anytime soon, and you want to call me out instead of answering the question based off what I posted, why not simply answer the question placed before you, and 2) you DO know and are aware of Commissioner McKenna no longer runs the league, so why does his opinion matter

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Offhand that'd be Fort Wayne, Greenville, Orlando, and Rapid City.

And NHL teams without an ECHL affiliate are Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and Vegas.

Fort Wayne, Greenville, Orlando, Rapid City and are the teams who don't have anything.

Brampton, Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, Manchester (assumed), Toledo and Wheeling all have expired affiliation agreements, but most of those will probably be renewed for next season.

Brampton is rumored to affiliate with Ottawa next season.

Fort Wayne is affiliated with VGK/Chicago Wolves.

Growler

May 16, 2018
excuse me, but your thread starter post comparing two "expansion" franchises was that needed or necessary two weeks into a league year, and what would've happened if Newfoundland never was approved for 2018/19, Growler?

the league has been at 27 teams. it isn't getting to 30, 31, or 32 anytime soon, and you want to call me out instead of answering the question based off what I posted, why not simply answer the question placed before you, and 2) you DO know and are aware of Commissioner McKenna no longer runs the league, so why does his opinion matter
Paragraph 1 - I have no idea what your point is. No bother; you don't need to explain.

Paragraph 2: Yes I know there is a new commissioner - one who came up from the within the ECHL ranks. If you think the ECHL has fundamentally changed the market strategy in the last 18 months since this article was written, I guess that's your prerogative. No need to respond. Thanks.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Paragraph 1 - I have no idea what your point is. No bother; you don't need to explain.

Paragraph 2: Yes I know there is a new commissioner - one who came up from the within the ECHL ranks. If you think the ECHL has fundamentally changed the market strategy in the last 18 months since this article was written, I guess that's your prerogative. No need to respond. Thanks.
then answer the question, how and/or which markets do you think the league should enter in, then knowing the volatility of franchises as they are [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Growler

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
well, it might be sooner....

here's the link to today's Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, LS AND the related article on the Komets:

https://www.journalgazette.net/sports/professional/komets/20180808/komets-close-to-deal-with-vegas

it also states Nashville will return to Atlanta, but hopefully, it's not the Gladiators final season

Reactions: slue

Growler

May 16, 2018
From a marketing standpoint it does. From a player travel standpoint, with Syracuse being the AHL link, not so much.
True. But it will take a day's travel from most ECHL locations simply because Syracuse is a smaller airport and not really a close drive from most places other than Adirondack.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
True. But it will take a day's travel from most ECHL locations simply because Syracuse is a smaller airport and not really a close drive from most places other than Adirondack.
On the few occasions that we have had players called up from Reading to Syracuse it ends up being easier to drive. By the time they get to Philly to catch a flight to Buffalo or Albany and then drive to Syracuse it is actually faster to drive the five hours directly. I've made the trip a couple times when guys needed a ride.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Are the Lightning testing the Tampa Bay-Orlando Echl affiliation for a possible future AHL one

Last edited:
Reactions: slue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad