ECHL’s Newfoundland Growlers are suspending operations, Trois Rivières sold

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Maybe I'm just unsure of the value of an ECHL franchise and/or I don't know how deep the pockets of MLSE are. But I'm kinda shocked MLSE doesn't bail out the Growlers and just buy them. Would it not be pocket change for them?

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I have to wonder, what situation is that ownership in where they may have to suspend operations? I also wonder a bit why the Leafs and Habs don't step in and take control -- especially the Leafs. It'd be a great way for them to keep a high level team in Newfoundland, considering they don't have the AHL or QMJHL anymore.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Besides Lou and the Devils(which was a disaster) and Comcast/The Flyers(who wanted a tenant for a arena they control) NHL clubs don’t get involved in echl ownership unless they want the rights to move their AHL club to an existing market.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Tilden Katz

Average PDOcast Listener
Dec 18, 2018
Regina, SK
I think people tend to think in idealistic terms with hockey and Canada, but the minor prom market has not been significant in Canada in many years, if it ever really was with modern day hockey.

Could Montreal and Toronto step in in some way? Maybe. Is that a good, sound business decision? I wouldn't bet on it. The financial travel costs for Newfoundland alone must be awful. The ECHL would probably prefer to have more stable teams in the contiguous U.S. anyway.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman with a little more info. ECHL BOG meeting Tuesday.

Players ensured they have medical coverage through 6/30 (calendar end of season).

Players around league concerned as teams may pick up the guys from these two teams pushing others out.

Affiliation fees (to AHL, NHL teams) also unpaid.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Maybe I'm just unsure of the value of an ECHL franchise and/or I don't know how deep the pockets of MLSE are. But I'm kinda shocked MLSE doesn't bail out the Growlers and just buy them. Would it not be pocket change for them?

Far be it for me to defend MLSE...

But why would they?

MLSE didn't grow to have "deep pockets" by throwing money around. You'll note the NHL still hasn't stepped up to support women's hockey, even though they said for years the thing stopping them was the fact there were two separate leagues.

When it comes to the ECHL - it's a pretty insignificant part of player development (outside of goalies). I mean sure there are players who will play in the ECHL and then "make it" to the NHL, but I can't find a name of anyone of significance. (Note: looks like it's different for coaches and officials, but not sure if NHL teams really care about that).

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The fact that Deacon Sports announced a new ownership structure last October makes me think that was the first public clue of financial strain.
Gotcha! I haven't followed any of this all too closely, as I'm sure you can tell :\ It just still feels really bad to me that these markets could lose their pro teams to a troubled ownership situation. It's why I hope the Leafs and Habs could step in to either prop up those owners, or just take control themselves.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I think people tend to think in idealistic terms with hockey and Canada, but the minor prom market has not been significant in Canada in many years, if it ever really was with modern day hockey.

Could Montreal and Toronto step in in some way? Maybe. Is that a good, sound business decision? I wouldn't bet on it. The financial travel costs for Newfoundland alone must be awful. The ECHL would probably prefer to have more stable teams in the contiguous U.S. anyway.

Yeah, pro hockey other than NHL just has not worked well in Canada. Eventually, the cost of travel and lack of attendance cripples these AHL and ECHL teams. The Victoria Salmon Kings folded.

The Abbotsford team is now owned by Aquilini so he can absorb the costs but their attendance is middling compared to some of the other AHL franchises.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Gotcha! I haven't followed any of this all too closely, as I'm sure you can tell :\ It just still feels really bad to me that these markets could lose their pro teams to a troubled ownership situation. It's why I hope the Leafs and Habs could step in to either prop up those owners, or just take control themselves.
As @Yukon Joe explained above, the NHL members have minimal stakes (financial & emotional) in the ECHL. This is the E's crisis to solve.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It wouldn't hurt the Leafs to help the Growlers even through the end of this season, just as a goodwill gesture.

The Growlers are very much a community-based team. A few of their longest serving players are native Newfoundlanders. It takes a while to build up loyalty towards a business, and it must feel like a real kick in the nuts for St. John's hockey fans to find out how little the Leafs really care about their ECHL affiliate.

Besides that, it's pretty embarrassing and unseemly for an affiliate of a billion-dollar franchise to go broke and collapse before the end of the season.

There's got to be a better ending than this one.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DSE owes the city of Trois Rivières close to $1 million over their use of the Colisée Vidéotron.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Travel fees for Newfoundland have to be an absolute pain. When they go on the road they're basically on the road for nearly 2 weeks. I get schedule parity and all that but sending them out to Utah and Idaho this year was completely unnecessary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kind of a shitty way to end the season for all the players. Not sure if they were going to make it anyway, but usually guys want to finish something on their terms.

Not sure if Terry Ryan was on local radio yesterday as I missed it, but I'm sure next time he's on there he'll have an interesting take on the situation.

Reactions: Ciao

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's a rough translation but it appears a last minute buyer came forward for Trois Rivieres?

VERY rough ...
The Director General of the City of Trois-Rivières, François Vaillancourt, confirms that the Lions will have a reprieve until the end of the playoffs, due to an offer that ensures the team's sustainability in the city.

Mr. Vaillancourt called a buyer whose identity is still being kept secret as a saviour. He was saved by the scruff of the buttocks, he told councillors at a working session on Tuesday. Mr. Vaillancourt indicated that negotiations had been underway for several days.

Les décideurs de l'ECHL must approve the transaction, which could be done in the next three days.

Lions employees were met in the last few minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad