ECF | Penguins Defeat Senators 4 Games to 3 and Advance to the SCF

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You were the poster boy in every GDT complaining about officiating, lol. Literally almost every one of your posts was *****ing about the refs.

That was during the series. Now the series is over. Virtual hand-shake line & move on. No point in anyone complaining about the officiating at this point. I sure as hell ain't. You guys should maybe let it go.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
The reality of this series is clear--a coach and a team committed to winning can overcome any talent level they face in this league. Its a team game, arguably more than any other sport. Overtime, game 7 and the series could have EASILY gone either way. That is a fact.

The Senators were in the ECF, game 7 because of their coach, guts and a willingness to do whatever it took to win. The Penguins had a lot more on their side and came within an errant puck bounce of teeing off next week. The funny part is that people on that board are still talking about how bad the Sens are and how 'garbage hockey' is being played in this league and officials and, not surprisingly, how the player they all HATE so much and wanted gone from their team, WON the series for them, almost singlehandedly. Its like they are all being forced to eat a steaming **** sandwich today--even thought their team won the series. Hilarious.

Pens are my team. Kunitz was my prediction to win it for them. He did. Guess who my second favorite is?? The Senators. They play the kind of hockey that makes people scream and yell and pound on the glass, that makes generational players fail miser

Shortened:

Great post! I appreciate level-headed people like you :handclap:

100% agree

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Before we all move on, I wanted to congratulate Ottawa on a good series that was far more entertaining than the dumb memes suggested. I have a newfound respect for a few Senators, as I do for most of the fans here who enjoyed the ride for its own sake. Even if the team didn't go all the way, these Cinderella-runs are an absolute blast to experience and talk about for years later.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Before we all move on, I wanted to congratulate Ottawa on a good series that was far more entertaining than the dumb memes suggested. I have a newfound respect for a few Senators, as I do for most of the fans here who enjoyed the ride for its own sake. Even if the team didn't go all the way, these Cinderella-runs are an absolute blast to experience and talk about for years later.

Likewise. Congrats to the Pens on the series win. Two things impressed/surprised me: 1) Malkin is pretty damn underrated. For the Pens to have 2 of the top 3 forwards in hockey is insane. 2) Crosby's mental maturity, such a contrast from the 2012 meltdowns.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Sens still tanked for that pick and their precious owner stupidly admitted it, then blamed it on alcohol, ultimately forcing the lottery system into place.

https://www.si.com/vault/1993/08/30...-no-1-draft-pick-that-the-nhl-needs-a-lottery

So again, it doesn't matter who the Sens had available to pick, it is comical for Sens fans to try and chastise the Pens for "tanking" when the lottery system was put into place because of them.

Stuff like that shouldn't even be coming up in this thread, but certain posters have to act like babies, without apparently even knowing the history of their own favorite org.

Not that I agree with critizing Pittsburgh but is Ottawa really the reason that the lottery system was in place or was it just the last straw. Ottawa wasn't the first team to have been rumoured to purposely lose games for a top prospect. They were an expansion franchise that was bad and considered extra measures to ensure they finished last.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still can't believe that the Penguins had such a hard time scoring against that defense. The Rangers scored pretty much at will, but couldn't hold leads. I figured the Pens would score just as easily and concede quite a bit less.

I hate seeing the Pens win but it does soften the blow of what continues to feel like a big-time squandered opportunity for NYR.

Craig Anderson was absolutely unbelievable in 6 out of the 7 games this series. I don't think the same was true versus the Bruins or Rangers.

A goalie playing at an elite level can shut down any offense, just like a goalie struggling can make even an average offense look potent.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not that I agree with critizing Pittsburgh but is Ottawa really the reason that the lottery system was in place or was it just the last straw. Ottawa wasn't the first team to have been rumoured to purposely lose games for a top prospect. They were an expansion franchise that was bad and considered extra measures to ensure they finished last.

The NHL did an investigation and decided to institute a lottery, so take from that what you will. I honestly couldn't care less unless Sens fans throw tanking accusations at Pens fans (this isn't my first time I've seen a Sens fan accuse the Pens of being tankers).

Pens tanked for Mario and I'm glad. They didn't tank for Malkin or Crosby though, but facts don't matter to people with agendas I've realized.

I think Buffalo, Leafs, Hawks, Oilers, Pens, Caps and Sens fans should all stay in their glass houses when it comes to tanking accusations.

Anyway, before this thread dies, I just want to pay my respects to Anderson. I read the essay his wife wrote and he seems like a great guy. Having lost my moms to cancer and my maternal grandfather who I was very close to, I hope for the best for the Andersons and their young family.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Pens had the better team. The Sens played the way they had to to try to beat them and came pretty close. They showed me a lot of resiliency during the playoffs ,, never giving up .. when a lot of hockey fans thought ok.. that's it they're done.. they'd fight back and make it a game / a series ... very proud of the team and what they achieved...

Pens-Preds should be a good one.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Sidney was a 1/30 chance and y'all were the chosen ones.

It wasn't even close to 1/30. It was a draft lottery following the lockout, but it was weighted.

The Penguins, Buffalo, Columbus and the Rangers all head the best chance of getting him. In fact, "tanking" for Crosby actually gave the Penguins less a chance than in a conventional season, but it wasn't 1/30 chance. Not all teams had the same odds.

Last edited:

Bengan

Mar 14, 2015
Sweden
Anyone else watched the post game press conference with Guy Boucher? Damn, that was hard to watch. Poor guy looked like he lost his unit in WW1 or something. Gotta give it to the Sens: they really gave it their all. True warriors. I respect that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It wasn't even close to 1/30. It was a draft lottery following the lockout, but it was weighted.

The Penguins, Buffalo, Columbus and the Rangers all head the best chance of getting him. In fact, "tanking" for Crosby actually gave the Penguins less a chance than in a conventional season, but it wasn't 1/30 chance. Not all teams had the same odds.

The Pens had a 6.67% chance of getting Crosby.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Does anyone see Ottawa getting back to this point? Honestly this has an 04 Flames, 06 Oilers feel to it. Meaning a one off kind of thing?

There's no reason to think that, for the following reasons:

*Karlsson
*Guy Boucher
*The team should be mostly intact next season.
*Karlsson
*They didn't rely on some random unexpected player going on a crazy run like Pisani/Gelinas. The offense was pretty spread out, excluding Karlsson. But that wasn't unexpected.
*They also didn't rely heavily on a hot goalie similar to Halak 2010 or other similar crazy hot goalie runs. Anderson was pretty average against Boston, and quite awful against the Rangers. He only got good against the Pens.
*The core is young or entering their prime. The oldest skater is Phaneuf @ 32 years old.
*Karlsson
*They have solid prospects coming up, including arguably the best player not in the NHL (Chabot).
*I fully expect Dorion to make some "win now" moves in the off season.
*Karlsson
*Everybody talks about injuries, but the Sens beat a fully healthy Rangers team despite Anderson having a brutal series.
*Ottawa safely made the playoffs despite dealing with their own injuries/absences: Anderson half the season; MacArthur the whole season; Karlsson/Methot/Ceci for the last few weeks of the season, Ryan for big chunks of the season.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

*Karlsson
*Guy Boucher
*Karlsson
*They didn't rely on some random unexpected player going on a crazy run like Pisani/Gelinas. The offense was pretty spread out, excluding Karlsson. But that wasn't unexpected.
*They also didn't rely heavily on a hot goalie similar to Halak 2010 or other similar crazy hot goalie runs. Anderson was pretty average against Boston, and quite awful against the Rangers. He only got good against the Pens.
*The core is young or entering their prime. The oldest skater is Phaneuf @ 32 years old.
*Karlsson
*They have solid prospects coming up, including arguably the best player not in the NHL (Chabot).
*Karlsson
*Everybody talks about injuries, but the Sens beat a fully healthy Rangers team despite Anderson having a brutal series.
*Ottawa safely made the playoffs despite dealing with their own injuries/absences: Anderson half the season; MacArthur the whole season; Karlsson/Methot/Ceci for the last few weeks of the season, Ryan for big chunks of the season.

Guy Boucher has a history of starting fast ( Tampa 2011) to missing the playoffs. He needs to get the players to continue buying into his system.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008

*Karlsson
*Guy Boucher
*Karlsson
*Karlsson
*Karlsson

Not to mention, Karlsson

FastandFearless

Jun 18, 2016

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Please.

Tim and Sid just did on a montage yesterday on all the missed calls on the Pens while allowing the Phaneuf/Kessel penalty.

It's playoff hockey. They're not going to call everything.

The whining/griping, particularly by "reputable" sports journalists, was nauseating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad