Series Talk: ECF: New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers *Game 1 Wednesday 5/22 @ 8pm ET*

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Florida is a big, very skilled team. They also take a lot of penalties. If the refs actuality call them, our PO should get chances. Gotta capitalize on them. Make them pay every time they go to the box.
They take a lot but they also get a lot of calls. Number 1 in the league in PP chances I believe. This will be a physical series and special teams will be huge.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Considering that all of MoneyPuck's PBP data based metrics say we're the worst team remaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how we've been and continue to be their odds on favorite for the cup. Early on matchups factor in heavily, but at the current point you have to conclude their model considers us the strongest team - at least if you factor in home ice advantage.

View attachment 873176

Though they have done work trying to quantify shooting talent and I assume goaltending talent as well so perhaps those are the things that push us over the edge.
Special teams and goaltending?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It is what it is unfortunately. He is barely moving, his knee is clearly injured. Those are the breaks sometimes come playoff time. Just got to hope we have enough other players ready to seize the moment

By far our biggest issue this postseason is that our best blueliner is hurt and at 60% (At best)

Everything else is just petty details my comparison

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Was my birthday and the wife saw these beauties in the local bakery while getting me a cake. Taste-wise they might be better served as pucks than cookies, but the kids loved them and made a rule that one must say ‘let’s go Rangers!’ before eating one
IMG_4510.jpeg

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Considering that all of MoneyPuck's PBP data based metrics say we're the worst team remaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how we've been and continue to be their odds on favorite for the cup. Early on matchups factor in heavily, but at the current point you have to conclude their model considers us the strongest team - at least if you factor in home ice advantage.

View attachment 873176

Though they have done work trying to quantify shooting talent and I assume goaltending talent as well so perhaps those are the things that push us over the edge.
Analytics are just part of the story. Through the years, teams have routinely outperformed analytics in the playoffs. I believe the Kings won one year with the worst analytics of any team in the playoffs.

At this point in the season, analytics have evolved for every team.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Sounds more like a fantasy league instead of a real professional league with real life players. I hate that idea in so many ways. Why even have a team then?
How badly do you want to win the Cup?

Some would argue that in face of an NHL Championship loyalty goes right out the window. The guys you pitch into the pool would still get rings, by the way. They're just replaced by players who are demonstrably better than they are. Imagine the Rangers need a third line center and oh lookie here Auston Matthews just happens to be available. You throw Goodrow maybe Vesey into the pool, give up your 2024 FRP, maybe more, and profit.

Teams aren't required to participate. No one forces their hand. I think it's a great idea because it exerts tremendous pressure on GMs and ownership....kind of like keeping the trade deadline live throughout the playoffs with an additional tax included.

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
This series will be a lot easier if we were to get a goal or two from somebody like Kakko, Wennberg, Jimmy, Miller, Goodrow, Schneider......You get the point.
A Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko third line could be a nightmare for opponents if we could ever get Chytil healthy for any length of time. Wennberg is an offensive black hole.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
A Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko third line could be a nightmare for opponents if we could ever get Chytil healthy for any length of time. Wennberg is an offensive black hole.
I expected more from Wennberg offensively. He put up 30-40 points with Seattle and I was hoping he would help that line get on the score sheet more often. That hasn't been the case so far. Hopefully Chytil is ready to go on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad