Confirmed with Link: Eberle re-signs ($4.75M x 2)

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Love the deal, term is good considering that Ebs is getting up there in years. Now that it is out of the way, does Ebs become the Captain?

Reactions: Kevinsane

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Seems like a slight overpay but whatever. Glad he didn’t get the 3rd year. Any trade protection in the deal?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Woof. Personally not a fan of that but again whatever. Gives a 2 year window for some of our prospects to develop and hopefully be ready by the time his deal is up

Reactions: Kevinsane

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
With the full NTC I would have liked to see a little lower AAV but maybe my Im undervaluing him.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm fine with the term and AAV, I guess. Maybe a little bummed that he would have presumably fetched a tidy return and they didnt take advantage of that. Ultimately the writing was on the wall that without him next season they would need a top 6 forward, so I guess this beats having to go out and scrounge for one in the off-season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm fine with the term and AAV, I guess. Maybe a little bummed that he would have presumably fetched a tidy return and they didnt take advantage of that. Ultimately the writing was on the wall that without him next season they would need a top 6 forward, so I guess this beats having to go out and scrounge for one in the off-season.
There is still a vacancy for a top-6 C next season. I just don't think we are going to do anything about it.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
There is still a vacancy for a top-6 C next season. I just don't think we are going to do anything about it.

Which probably is the way to go given the talent available in free agency and the contracts they would demand.

Just go with Wright, sign a better center than Bellmare and roll the dice.

Right now there don't seem to be elite players available(certainly not in free agency) and so it might be best to keep some of the cap space, go into next season and either see if someone becomes available or draft in the top ten once again.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I would have preferred that we had moved on from Eberle, but really can't complain about the two year term.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Term and $$ are good value. Ebs still has the foot speed and compete level, and his veteran presence in the LR is a big plus.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Which probably is the way to go given the talent available in free agency and the contracts they would demand.

Just go with Wright, sign a better center than Bellmare and roll the dice.

Right now there don't seem to be elite players available(certainly not in free agency) and so it might be best to keep some of the cap space, go into next season and either see if someone becomes available or draft in the top ten once again.
Yep. I think the FA market is not great for centers next year. Not that it is great for other positions either but outside of Lindholm, there is nobody who could fit that spot and I am fairly certain Francis won't get into a bidding war for him.

I was spit balling numbers a few days back for Beniers (6.5M AAV * term) and Tolvanen (4.5M AAV * term), now with Eberle re-signed and going with Fleury as our #7D next season, we would still have close to 9.5M of cap space to play with. Unless we can pull of a trade for a signed player who makes a bit of AAV, it doesn't make much sense for us spending that money.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I agree with this but it takes 2 to tango in a trade.
I have to think there were a few teams that kicked the tires on an Eberle trade, just based on the idle chatter on the main boards. Edmonton was one that seemed to come up fairly often as a team that would be interested if he was available.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have to think there were a few teams that kicked the tires on an Eberle trade, just based on the idle chatter on the main boards. Edmonton was one that seemed to come up fairly often as a team that would be interested if he was available.
So why not trade him for a couple of assets (a 2nd would be nothing to sniff at), and then try to resign him in the offseason which we probably could do, especially if he is seeking stability for his family?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
So why not trade him for a couple of assets (a 2nd would be nothing to sniff at), and then try to resign him in the offseason which we probably could do, especially if he is seeking stability for his family?
I don’t know? Why not trade Schultz for literally anything? I’m not sure about you, but I’ve never exactly been thrilled about Francis since his appointment, and this deadline certainly hasn’t done anything to make me feel more confident about his ability to make this team into a consistent winner?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well, players that are traded rarely ever re-sign with the team that traded them at the TDL.

Still, I think it's more about Francis and his will to try and be solid.
You also wouldn't get anything better in free agency unless you'd be willing to really overpay.

On top of that, Eberle had made it known that he wanted to stay in Seattle.

I don’t know? Why not trade Schultz for literally anything? I’m not sure about you, but I’ve never exactly been thrilled about Francis since his appointment, and this deadline certainly hasn’t done anything to make me feel more confident about his ability to make this team into a consistent winner?

Yeah, Francis isn't really known to be a wheelin and dealin type of GM.
Just ask Canes fans about their frustrations with "standing pat" kind of attitude which ended up costing him his job in Carolina.

Overall it's not the end of the world to not trade Schultz(for probably a 3rd rounder or something) but it would've been the right move in our current situation.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad