Slovakia: EBEL expanding to Slovakia

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
According to this article PieÅ¡ťany and KoÅ¡ice are looking for a new league, which is supposed to be EBEL. I am very interested to see what happens if they take them, somehow I have a feeling they will not be the only Slovak clubs wanting to join.

http://www.hokejportal.cz/clanky/shk-37-piestany-hledaji-noveho-kouce-i-soutez-ze-by-ebel-liga/

These rumours we heard few months ago. EBEL is not the league, that should Kosice looking for. If another league, then KHL.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
My team (Bolzano) just won the EBEL cup (as first non austrian team to do so!:yo:). I've seen a lot of EBEL games and you cannot compare the level of play to KHL. If Kosice has only the slightest possibility to apply for KHL (which I doubt) they should go for it. Otherwise I'd be glad to have a slovak competitor next year!

Babula

May 31, 2012
Košice submit an application to the czech extraliga for next season. It's getting to be interesting topic for me...

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
It's...silly at least.

Not that long time ago, there were serious meetings about creating a common CR & SR hockey league.
As far as I know, it failed due to questions how many teams from Slovakia should have join the Czech league (Czechs wanted 4 at most [obviously stacked Slovan, Trencin, Skalica, Zvolen at the time]), Slovakia at least 6, better 8) and mainly due to panic fear of Czechs to travel to far east - Kosice.

No logic in such step nowadays.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Košice submit an application to the czech extraliga for next season. It's getting to be interesting topic for me...

I thought that they want EBEL. And how this is going to work if the case, as I can't see a league with 15 teams.

And if Kosice is going to play in a different league next year what do you think will happen with Slovakian Extraliga, as it will not have the main two teams into the national championship.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
I thought that they want EBEL. And how this is going to work if the case, as I can't see a league with 15 teams.

And if Kosice is going to play in a different league next year what do you think will happen with Slovakian Extraliga, as it will not have the main two teams into the national championship.

I honestly don't care anymore. There are popular hockey people in media who have been criticizing the condition of Slovakian hockey and the Extraliga for almost 10 years...nobody listened. When they interviewed the head of the Extraliga committee, he said the league has adequate quality. This is a complete Potemkin village, our hockey federation.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Why? :laugh: How is it different from the league with any other number of teams?

I doubt this will/can happen. 3 years ago the Slovaks proposed 3 options to the Czechs: 2 were Slovan and KoÅ¡ice joining, and 1 was Slovan, KoÅ¡ice, and Trenčín. The clubs first accepted, but then the sponsor of the league threatened them and all the teams uniformly voted NO. So my logic is: If they rejected the 3 most famous Slovakian clubs, why will they take in just one? KoÅ¡ice are all the way to the east in Slovakia and the condition was for KoÅ¡ice to pay for the Czech teams' travel expenses. If you look at the map, it will make more sense to you. This condition can be very, very costly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad