"Eat Another Donut" incident

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Can anyone explain why the refs went on strike in the 1988 playoffs after the Devils coach told the ref to "eat another donut you fat pig."

Yeah it was abusive but teams yell at the refs all the time (we probably don't hear 1% of the profanities) and make public complaints about the penalty calling standards (Canucks, Sabres this year). What was so special about that incident that made them go on strike?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Can anyone explain why the refs went on strike in the 1988 playoffs after the Devils coach told the ref to "eat another donut you fat pig."

Yeah it was abusive but teams yell at the refs all the time (we probably don't hear 1% of the profanities) and make public complaints about the penalty calling standards (Canucks, Sabres this year). What was so special about that incident that made them go on strike?
After Game 3, Schoenfeld was blocking the officials path off the ice to confront Koharski about some calls during the game. They yelled at each other and Koharski fell down. Some felt he was pushed, but most believe he slipped.

The league suspended Schoenfeld for Game 4, but the Devils went to court and got an injunction. When the officials found out that Schoenfeld would be behind the bench for Game 4, the scheduled referee, Dave Newell, refused to go officiate the game out of solidarity for Koharski. The two linesmen and the backup referee went along with him.

It was an illegal strike, but understandable. It was believed that Ziegler would suspend, if not fire, the four officials for their refusal to call the game, but the lawyer for the referees told the league that no officials would call any of the remaining playoff games if the four were punished for their actions. Ziegler agreed not to do anything, Schoenfeld sat out Game 5, and the officials went back to work.

Ray Scampinello, one of the linesmen, talks about the incident in his recent book.

Reactions: plusandminus

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion, Koharski didn't slip. He dove. Judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOmo8a4hrE

I mean in all honesty, Schoenfeld fought guys like Cashman in his career. Do you really think if he wanted to crank Koharski that he wouldn't have tatooed him to the wall? It isn't like Don was a small ref either, he was a big boy, a grown man who skates with NHLers he didn't need the theatrics there. But he sold it.

In my opinion Koharski was a drama queen about the whole incident. How many hockey fans would even remember his name if it weren't for Schoenfeld?

JA

I still can't understand how a ref, who skates 60 minutes a game, can be fat?

Yeah, I just don't u-- whoa! Who the..!

71104170CP027_Carolina_Hurr.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad