Orland Park, IL
I'm going to follow Jarick's format:

Easton Mako II
Grip Finish
Senior 75, cut to probably low 80s
E7 (Iginla) comparable to Kane Bauer

About Me: 31 year old C/D leaguer, 5'9 185lbs

Appearance
All white forehand with gray logo at the bottom. White and orange backhand with a black blade. I love the look of this stick, but it is an acquired taste. Orange is not my favorite color, but my father passed away in November and orange was his favorite color so I find myself drawn to it now. I add it in my gear where I can as a little tribute to him.

Shaft Profile & Grip
The shaft is contoured and textured with little bumps. I have the grip version and the combo of that with the texture make this a very grippy stick. I always use grip and this is the stickest grip I've ever used. Before my gloves get sweaty I would argue that there is too much grip.

Weight & Balance
Very light stick, Total Hockey has it listed as 454 grams. I'm coming from a Nexus 1000 and it does feel a bit heavier, but not in a bad way. Balance feels great, not blade heavy in any way.

Puck Feel
Puck feel is pretty good. I am still getting used to this blade. It feels much stiffer than my Nexus 1000. The blade on my Nexus felt softer. This blade is also pretty thick and covered in a very rough sandpaper finish. All in all decent feel, but I'm still getting used to it.

Flex & Kickpoint
The flex feels pretty much right on point. Closer to my Total One than my Nexus. I don't know why but everything on the Nexus felt soft. This flex is a bit stiffer, which I like as it feels like my shots are a little crisper with it. Kickpoint is low as advertised, not to much to mention about that.

Shooting
I feel like once I get the hang of the stiffer shaft and blade this stick will really excel in this area. Even though I'm not completely used to it yet the shots seem to really pop coming off this blade. Wristers are solid, Snappers come off real quick with power, and to my surprise really powerful slappers. I am not a huge slap shot guy, maybe I get off 3 or 4 a season. I am telling you though the first time I warmed up with this stick I wound up and fired one of my goalies chest in warm up. I did not put a whole lot behind it and it still took off with no waiver in the flight at all.

Also for some reason this stick is really solid on the backhand. I can't explain why but I seem to be able to roof every backhand with little effort. I also got off a perfect backhand saucer on a penalty kill in my last game that kind of surprised me.

Durability
No issues so far but I've only had it a little over a month. As you might expect the white gets scuffed up real quick so if you are freak about marks on your stick you'll be disappointed.

Conclusions/Recommendations
I would recommend this stick to anyone who wants to spend that kind of money on a stick. It is really expensive and as I've mentioned before I buy my sticks with gift cards so the sting is not there, but I'm not sure I can justify the $250. So far I think it exceeds my Nexus 1000 in performance, but durability is still up in the air.

Last edited:

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Very nice!

Have you used the previous Mako or any of the Easton Synergy lineage to compare at all?

No not really. When I first started playing I had an SE6, but I was so bad then I really could give you an analysis on it. Since then and before the Mako it was all Bauer sticks for me.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I can second most of your findings, especially when it comes to the grip. I have to pry of my dry gloves initially, it's that grippy.

As far as durability goes, I played some scrimmage with it and the paint is chipping, but I flail it around quite a bit.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Update:
So after 3 months and change the blade is coming apart. I took my tape off last night and all around the end of the blade is chipped and cracked. You can see some foam starting to sneak out. Also right in the middle of the blade there is about a 2 inch crack.

I can't recommend this stick anymore based on durability issues with the blade. I took a chance on an Easton stick after hearing they had finally sorted out their blade durability and was let down.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
No not really. When I first started playing I had an SE6, but I was so bad then I really could give you an analysis on it. Since then and before the Mako it was all Bauer sticks for me.

I play with an SE6 and love it.

would you say this stick is better/worse?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That's too bad. And it's strange that Easton still has the exact same blade issues as they did almost 10 years ago. And that keeps me from trying their OPS. I dropped $65 on an SE16 blade and had it start cracking at the heel after only 3-4 ice times.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
That's too bad. And it's strange that Easton still has the exact same blade issues as they did almost 10 years ago. And that keeps me from trying their OPS. I dropped $65 on an SE16 blade and had it start cracking at the heel after only 3-4 ice times.

And it kept me from trying them for an extended period of time until people told me they had finally resolved them. I wont be a return customer.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Weird about the blade issue. My first mako took a lot of abuse, as is my rsII. Ah well, no two sticks are the same.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
My Mako (V1) just cracked the blade after about three months of use. I had a guy repair it, so time will tell if its even playable after that.

Really disappointed that it cracked so quickly. But I guess with any stick that light it's going to die quickly. I also got a Mako M5 that has taken a TON of abuse and is still going strong after six months. I think I might go with another one of those if I can get one for less than $100.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I have an RS and the blade has slight cracking noises after less than a month of play and maybe no more than 5 ice times. I didn't seem to have these issues with the S19, though I can't say for how long as it got jammed into the boards and cracked a couple games later. However, my S19 blade on my two piece is still like new after two months.

Still, probably gonna avoid Easton products from now on.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
If you could get one new for $100 would you? Would you consider the stick worthwhile on clearance even with the durability issue for the blade?

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I had a Mako II, and while I didn't particualrly love the stick, I had no issues with its durability. Its a good buy on clearance at 100.00, barring you are getting it in a flex and curve you like.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
If you could get one new for $100 would you? Would you consider the stick worthwhile on clearance even with the durability issue for the blade?

I think so. I had mine for about a month and a half before it snapped ... but man did I love that stick before it died. For a standard $100 stick, you're not going to get anywhere near that feel. Then again, there are probably other clearance sticks out there that are as good, but less prone to snapping.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Why are you saying that they are prone to snapping? Based on a single sample?

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
Why are you saying that they are prone to snapping? Based on a single sample?

Yep, that was just my experience. Maybe there's a bit of confirmation bias on my end here, but I have heard similar things from others. Anyways, still a fan of the stick.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've heard rumors of them snapping off right where the blade meets the shaft. Mine hasn't done that yet, but it sure looks beat to hell in that area with a bunch of paint chipping off. Still, I've been really happy with mine. For reference, I've got the M3.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I stick to the 100-160 price range for sticks. It seems to have plenty of life in the stick but a lot more durability. I've had a few high enders (RS, Mako PS, Ribcor) and they all just break down so fast. They're fun while they last but it's not worth the investment to me.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Great review of this stick in the OP, very accurate to the experience of the Mako II. Mine lasted for about 6 months with frequent use, cracked in the toe and crackling near the heel, but man it was well worth it. Most "elite" stick I've ever owned, it is special. For 100$ there are many available online it has got to be the best value for a stick possible ATM (if you like the synergy line). It is a delicate stick take care and it will last longer.

Couldn't find the Mako II for the same price so I now have the M5 and am pleased. It truly is the replacement for the ST. Save a few for after the apocalypse they will still be solid! Not as sensitive or whippy as the II but is similar enough that I adapted after a few skates. Both Mako sticks have been an integral part to the growth of my game this last year I recommend them highly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad