Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The pressure is on carolina especially with the expectations of their fans and the statbois. The islanders just need to play their long forgotten heavy game and make carolina beat them by skill and by outworking them. It may not be as easy a ride as some are predicting but carolina should come out on top.
Islanders "heavy game" isn't really a thing anymore.

Canes have the pieces and play style to dominate this. Their mobility and skill on D matches up well vs NYI's poor defensive wing play. A big part of the Islanders resurgence has come from Kyle MacLean becoming the 4th line center, allowing Cizikas to move up the lineup as a winger. NYI's top line is 3 natural centers, which shows how much they lack for good wingers. The wild card for nyi is engvall - he's going to have to find a new level for NYI to keep play close to even on more than one line. He has the tools, but we know how that goes. Dobson not being healthy is, for me, mostly affects NYI's PP. He's looked run down before the injury the last third of the season, a consequence imo of overuse.

Will guess canes in 6, but also that it doesn't feel that close.

Reactions: Riseonfire

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
The Isles have only a 5% chance of winning this series or so I read.
That's better than their 4% chance to make the playoffs on March 28th, so you gotta like those odds as an NYI fan
20240417_061957.jpg
Sebastian Aho has 58 points in 63 playoff games. That would be the 3rd best point per game pace in New York Rangers playoff history with a minimum of 60 games.
That's a devils fan, not a Rangers fan you're replying to

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Incoming snooze fest. Hope I'm wrong though
If snoozes are a lack of shots & goals, that's simply wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more shots & goals per game in this series than any other. Just likely that Canes will get 60%+ of shots, and a similar percentage of goals.

Reactions: Stickpucker

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sure....but thats for the fans and media. Pressure to win is on both teams on the actual ice.

Is either team gonna change the way they platy due to expectations? Based on both coaches, I dont think so.

You are discounting the mental component. The perception of a team relative to their counter in a playoff context plays a role.

Reactions: Riseonfire

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I have a feeling this is going to be a similar type of series to last year. All I hope is that the team who lost the series last year comes up on top this time around.

Reactions: islesmb

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
You are discounting the mental component. The perception of a team relative to their counter in a playoff context plays a role.
True, I am....in my opinion, I'm not convinced that perceptions lead to anything on the ice. The Canes arent gonna be all over confident and the isles arent going to just be happy to be there. At this time, the pressure is equal. Of course, after the result of game one....then it gets interesting.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
True, I am....in my opinion, I'm not convinced that perceptions lead to anything on the ice. The Canes arent gonna be all over confident and the isles arent going to just be happy to be there. At this time, the pressure is equal. Of course, after the result of game one....then it gets interesting.
I’m arguing that from an NYI POV they will relish in being the underdog, not relish in simply making the playoffs. This group has been the underdog time and time again; it motivates them.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I’m arguing that from an NYI POV they will relish in being the underdog, not relish in simply making the playoffs. This group has been the underdog time and time again; it motivates them.
understood. But its the motivation thing that get me. Its the playoffs....cant really believe that isnt enough to be motivated about. I know that coaches will try to use that to fire up the squad with pregame speeches.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
understood. But its the motivation thing that get me. Its the playoffs....cant really believe that isnt enough to be motivated about. I know that coaches will try to use that to fire up the squad with pregame speeches.

Generally speaking, my belief is that some teams thrive in that position, while some teams underperform when expected to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad