Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
So, which Bruins players have most stepped up their offensive games in recent playoff history?

3-season Regular Season Averages
  • Marchand = 0.42 goals per game ; 1.10 points per game
  • Heinen = 0.18 goals per game
  • Zacha = 0.63 points per game
  • McAvoy = 0.70 points per game

3-season Playoff Averages
  • Marchand = 0.64 goals per game (+0.22) ; 1.32 points per game (+0.22)
  • Heinen = 0.43 goals per game (+0.25)
  • Zacha = 0.86 points per game (+0.23)
  • McAvoy = 0.92 points per game (+0.22)

Will these players up their games again? Will some new players step up and add themselves to the list?

I still think the Bruins will need more than what they've gotten recently from at least two of:
Jake DeBrusk, Morgan Geekie, Trent Frederic and James van Riemsdyk.

Ok, now let's look at who has produced at a higher rate vs the Maple Leafs than they have overall against the league...

Overall
  • Jake DeBrusk = 0.29 goals per game ; 0.56 points per game
  • Brandon Carlo = 0.06 goals per game ; 0.20 points per game
  • Pavel Zacha = 0.26 goals per game
  • Kevin Shattenkirk = 0.37 points per game
  • Jeremy Swayman = 0.598 Winning%

Most recent 10-game averages vs Toronto
  • Jake DeBrusk = 0.40 goals per game (+0.11) ; 0.90 points per game (+0.34)
  • Brandon Carlo = 0.20 goals per game (+ 0.14) ; 0.60 points per game (+0.40)
  • Pavel Zacha = 0.60 goals per game (+0.34)
  • Kevin Shattenkirk = 0.60 points per game (+0.23)
  • Jeremy Swayman = 0.667 Winning% (+0.07)

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I was watching the Leafs last night. Their defense is definitely more physical these days, but there's not a whole lot of skill back there. Get those guys running around and capitalize. Gotta have shots, too. Can't be throwing together 3-4 shots a period against weak goaltending. If you have a lane, rip it.
Story of their life. Their forwards have no clue how to support, and they've always got a guy looking to fly the zone early. It is both their blessing and curse.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
My hockey pool draw is tonite and 2 series still undecided sure makes it tough when I pick 13th out of 15..Snake pool so it's kind of important to know matchups lol

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
Here are some of my random thoughts on series.

I believe that series with the Leafs is the more desirable match up for the Bruins.
Even though Tampa Bay is "only" Wild Card team, they are a group made up of grizzled veterans who have been in long play offs multiple times. They may be a little bit older and maybe not be as deep anymore but they know what it takes and they are willing to pay the price for it. In my opinion they are a dark horse in East.

The Leafs are ...well...still Maple Leafs. More points in the regular season than Tampa, an almost 70 goal scoring center surrounded by a decent mix of skill and grit. On paper, the Leafs have a very competitive team and they have had it for a while with some tweaks here and there. They have been victims to faltering and inconsistent goaltending and defense and that is the Achilles heel that Bruins have to attack. Boston will have to minimize mistakes in neutral zone to avoid turning over pucks to streaking Leafs forwards. On defense, Lindholm and Carlo will have to make use of their size, play physical and put their bodies on the Leafs forwards. I do like Lindholm better with McAvoy but I also question, like previous poster, Gryz with Carlo. There may have to be some flexibility there.

Forwards will have to move to the Leafs net and volume shoot the puck. No fancy passing this time. More passes against a well skating team leads to disappointment. Keep it simple, keep it physical, exploit defensive turn overs from players like Bertuzzi and Domi. The power play success early on will be very telltale sign of how mentally healthy forward group is.

Also on mental note, I prefer playing in Toronto as clima is closer to North East. Sometimes going from colder climate to warmer climate can act as distraction. Now I know they are all professional paid players but they are also human. So no distractions, shot the puck hard and use the body even if it doesn't feel natural to some players. This is the play offs, now game is mental and physical. I am very excited - Go Bruins!

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Here are some of my random thoughts on series.

I believe that series with the Leafs is the more desirable match up for the Bruins.
Even though Tampa Bay is "only" Wild Card team, they are a group made up of grizzled veterans who have been in long play offs multiple times. They may be a little bit older and maybe not be as deep anymore but they know what it takes and they are willing to pay the price for it. In my opinion they are a dark horse in East.

The Leafs are ...well...still Maple Leafs. More points in the regular season than Tampa, an almost 70 goal scoring center surrounded by a decent mix of skill and grit. On paper, the Leafs have a very competitive team and they have had it for a while with some tweaks here and there. They have been victims to faltering and inconsistent goaltending and defense and that is the Achilles heel that Bruins have to attack. Boston will have to minimize mistakes in neutral zone to avoid turning over pucks to streaking Leads forwards. On defense, Lindholm and Carlo will have to make use of their size, play physical and put their bodies on the Leafs forwards. I do like Lindholm better with McAvoy but I also question, like previous poster, Gryz with Carlo. There may have to be some flexibility there.

Forwards will have to move to the Leafs net and volume shoot the puck. No fancy passing this time. More passes against a well skating team leads to disappointment. Keep it simple, keep it physical, exploit defensive turn overs from players like Bertuzzi and Domi. The power play success early on will be very telltale sign of how mentally healthy forward group is.

Also on mental note, I prefer playing in Toronto as clima is closer to North East. Sometimes going from colder climate to warmer climate can act as distraction. Now I know they are all professional paid players but they are also human. So no distractions, shot the puck hard and use the body even if it doesn't feel natural to some players. This is the play offs, now game is mental and physical. I am very excited - Go Bruins!
Yeah this halfway through the game and 10 shots garbage needs to end real quick or this is going to be a really quick series and not the way we want .

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Sens fan coming here in peace. Going to theoretically dig out my old Bruins jersey from days gone by and join this Bruins train for the playoffs.

Hate the Leafs with a passion. Oh the level of bravado and circle jerking by Laff fans will be off the charts (and almost unbearable) should Toronto win up here. Boston you have to make this happen please!

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Shatty vs Wotherspoon will be an interesting choice all series.

Wotherspoon is a left shot that plays on his off-hand when he takes the Shatty spot, correct? When they pair Wotherspoon and Peeke, Wotherspoon plays his strong side if I recall.
Shattenkirk def wants in, saw his snarl pick up the last couple games, including pawing at Tkachuk in final game. Not his usual persona. Time will tell.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Neither team in this upcoming series has an advantage over the other, they both start even, the regular season series has no bearing.
The team that wants it the most, wins! So the Bruins need to get off their butts and play like there is no tomorrow, every game of the series.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Florida don't scare me as much as Tampa.Bruins took them to game 7 of OT .That Tampa powerplay is lethal and as I said earlier ,you need 30 + shots a night vs Vasi in a 4 out of 7.Bruins are type team outside Pasta as well that has players that need multiple looks to bury one.
I agree ,Tampa has the better goaltender and the my hatred for florida is only rivaled by the players hatred for Florida, and I think Tampa is just a team that will be tough to beat, and I would not be surprised too see then in the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad