Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks again to the Bruins for not controlling their own destiny. Means I have to the Canadian Media talk about the Leafs for the next 2 weeks. I wish I knew what is going on in that dressing room over the last 5 years. There's a Cancer in there somewhere. From Sweeney's roster construction to leadership to coaching philosophy. I have an idea hope I'm wrong tho.
You are wrong

I let Mrs. Odaat know that if she had any thoughts about making plans on Saturday between 4 pm and 7-7:30 for us, I won`t be part of them....she took it well
You mean that you haven't turned her into a Bruins fan yet?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
My ask/advice.

1- stay off their board.
2- tread lightly on the Main Playoff Board
3- report trolls that come here. Dont engage with them.

We will handle it.

View attachment 853920

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 4.20.12 PM.png

kidding!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It better not be the hinge because I don't like those odds.

The series is going to have to hinge, IMHO, on suffocating team defense and stellar goaltending.

They're also going to have to get secondary scoring beyond David and Brad. If you're relying on two guys for your offense, you're making a losing bet. If the Leafs shut down those two, series over.

Captain Obvious also observes that Boston must exploit TO's defense and goaltending, wear them down, and make it very unpleasant for whoever is in net.

JVR & Maroon can help in this regard, as can the Geek, Frederic, Brad, Coyle and Beecher. Zacha might also prove a stealth offensive weapon.

McAvoy, Peeke,Wotherspoon and possibly Forbort better hit and disrupt early and often. I don't know what Carlo's status is. Gryz has a chance to contribute in a meaningful way against this particular opponent. Lindholm has to significantly elevate his game, which has not been the case much of the regular season. Blocked shots. A ton of them, from everyone.

A lot is going to have to go right. If the Bruins can rattle them, Toronto's questionable character will be tested.

We shall see.
great post. I just know they will be all over Pasta and Brad. Bs need others to step up.

My ask/advice.

1- stay off their board.
2- tread lightly on the Main Playoff Board
3- report trolls that come here. Dont engage with them.

We will handle it.

View attachment 853920
Hey...That's MY baseball bat

Hairz

Mar 22, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
When do you they be coming out with the schedule? This year is even a tighter timeline for those planning vacation/travel to see a game.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I really like Beecher for this series, and I haven't been a Beecher pom pom guy.

I'm curious what he does on the blueline. Tough choices there suddenly for at least 1 spot.

That's gooooood
I hope I'm wrong but I feel like Beecher will be in the pressbox game 1. I want him getting this experience, to an extent Lohrei too but his defensive game has been rough lately. To me these playoffs are about getting the young guys experience to build on.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Gordie you have to realize their are thousands of hockey fans in Canada that hate the Leafs. I tun into lots of Bruin fans. I would rather listen to a Boston telecast any day.
I use to wear a pair of Boston Bruin socks to the Kitchener Ranger games just to bug a Leaf fan that had seats across from us. His wife complains about how many cases of beer he has had to buy betting on Leaf games.☺️

I get it. A lot of Canadian fans can't abide TO (or MTL, or VAN, or...).

Toronto Maple Leafs fans and their hideous media remind of nothing so much as pre-2004 Red Sox fans and media.

The analogy is perfect, if I say so myself.

PS As you are doubtless aware, the Krauts grew up together in Kitchener.

More Than You Wanted to Know Dept.:

And I was born in Detroit, raised five minutes away from the East side (Sorry, Journey fans, there is no such thing as "South Detroit"), and grew up at the old Olympia. My attorney father represented Alex DelVecchio and the unpleasant Reggie Fleming. I met Gordie a few times and ran into Ted Lindsay -- literally -- running around the concourse back in the late '70s. Watched the Laffs on Hockey Night in Canada, tuned in to Windsor's Ch. 9.

Canadian roots on my mother's side (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan). Last visit to TO: 1976, HHOF. Last visit to Windsor: 1982. We drank a lot of Brador and lived to tell about it.

Edit: I just got off the phone with my eldest sister, Mary Kay, the keeper of family lore.

She confirms that my maternal great grandmother emigrated not to Prince Albert, but rather, Saskatoon. That, as I'm sure you also know, is where Gordie grew up.

I always thought this was the case, but my brother Michael confused Prince Albert with Prince Edward Island, apparently her first stop in Canada.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing...

Last edited:

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
It's Sway's turn Saturday. He also beat the Leafs twice in the same week after the All-Star break. And he looked really good in both games.
Personally I’d play Swayman in game 1. I think it’s obvious that Ullmark has been better overall since the break BUT Sway will fight like hell to win that first game … and if he does then go right ahead and rotate to Ullmark. The poor leafs would be truly facing a two headed monster if Sway wins game 1, and they have to face Ullmark game two. Make goaltending a bit of a spotlight in the series…get in the leaf’s heads. It’s not like Sway is a slouch (plus he’s played terrific against the leafs).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't like this matchup for us. Guys like Domi/Bertuzzi have been great additions to the Leafs.

I feel like Matthews game has matured and he is ready to get this team over the hump. I really hope the Bruins come out on top but I think Leafs in 6.
you are no longer welcome here:popcorn:

likely doesn't come out until Providence or Maine's season ends since all 3 are in playoff mode
I`m putting my money on Bergy/Z/DK black aces by Saturday:sarcasm:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Stay off the main boards Yikes. Leaf fans out in full force telling the world how much better they are, how gonna smoke us. I don't get where they get their cockiness and confidence. Certainly not from any kind of success. It's mind boggling how obnoxious they are
Watch how their added toughness comes back to bite them. So bent on proving that toughness if the refs call it like they should, I see Domi, Bert, McCabe in the box. That and goaltending/inconsistent D are major question marks.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
The match-up against the Laffs, imho, is better than it would be against the Dolts.
The BRUINS' blue line is better (less worse) than Toronto's. The B's goaltending s/b better than Toronto's, but even average goalies can get hot during PO's.
Toronto's offense is better than the B's. They have more forwards with scoring talent than the B's.
Finally, the B's do have home ice advantage, but I'm not sure how big a deal that is, although the 7th game will be played in Boston, which, obviously, is preferable.

I have the B's winning in 7, not because I have that much confidence in either Pasta or Marchy, but because the BRUINS are due to win a 7th game.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
great post. I just know they will be all over Pasta and Brad. Bs need others to step up.

Hey...That's MY baseball bat

BTW, the last episode of Ray Donovan is focused on Boston, with lots of exterior shots and the usual characters/ caricatures.

Big Liev Schrieber fan.

Don't miss him as Orson Wells in HBO's RKO 281.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Looking at that leaf’s defense and goaltending and it seems not even playoff caliber to be honest. It’s a testament to how good their forwards are

Reactions: NeelyOrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad