Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Two key players to me offensively are Debrusk and Freddy. Both gotta bring more than they have the last little while. If they can score timely goals, then it will go along way to us winning. Debrusk has been a good playoff performer so I have hope he does it again.
A series against the Maple Leafs could be just what the Doctor ordered for a guy like Jake DeBrusk.

DeBrusk career
0.56 Points per game
0.30 Goals per game

DeBrusk career playoffs vs Toronto
0.64 Points per game
0.43 Goals per game

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yup. Bruins could win, but Bruins could also get steamrolled. I see the latter in 5 games.

The Crosby cheap shot on Ullmark, Linus should have a short leash as his movement side to side looks hampered. Pasta took a huge hit in that game, thinking shoulder.

We have to hope Marchand, JDB, Freddy, Coyle, Geekie contribute just a bit of offense. My expectations are rock bottom so 6 or 7 games is a victory.

Moneyball-type rosters surprise in regular season and this team did that with great cost-effective signings. Sweeney did a great job to get team here, but also coaches and GM's look smart when you have dueling Team MVP's in net and Pasta.
Yes, I start Sway and even if we lose game one, if Swayman play well I stick with him for game 2. Lose that and then you go to Ullmark to make sure that he's FULLY healed. Not looking into his eyes type healed or asking him but if Ullmark looks like he did last playoffs you pull him. He also has it in his head that the Bruins wanted to trade him so that has to be considered IMHO.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Just noting the potential arena conflicts at TD Garden and Scotiabank...

TD Garden
Sun 4/21
Wed 4/24
Wed 5/1
Sun 5/5

Scotiabank
Tues 4/30
Fri 5/3
Sat 5/4

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
A series against the Maple Leafs could be just what the Doctor ordered for a guy like Jake DeBrusk.

DeBrusk career
0.56 Points per game
0.30 Goals per game

DeBrusk career playoffs vs Toronto
0.64 Points per game
0.43 Goals per game
I remember when he absolutely took over game 7 in 2018. His GWG was an absolute beauty. Would be amazing to get him going.

Should have plenty of motivation with his next paycheck coming up.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bruins have to come out and play hard for 60 minutes in this series. Leafs depend so much on there top two or three players to garner wins. Almost every other game they play they are behind a goal or two and try to dive their way to try to pull off a win. Leaf fans are actually shaking in their boots at this point about the Bruins and all the talk is not to let Marchy get in their heads. Bruins just need to play their game that beat the Leafs in the regular series. Domi and Bert will give the Bruins some power plays.
Be hilarious if Bert causes the B's to have PPs and the TML fans accuse him of being a Bruin at heart lol.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Be hilarious if Bert causes the B's to have PPs and the TML fans accuse him of being a Bruin at heart lol.
Bert was a pest in junior. Kind of player you hated on an opposing team but would love him on your own. These types are efficient at sucking opponents into taking penalties. Tkachuk is the same. Just have to be able to suck up what they throw at you and walk away and stay out of the box.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Just noting the potential arena conflicts at TD Garden and Scotiabank...

TD Garden
Sun 4/21
Wed 4/24
Wed 5/1
Sun 5/5

Scotiabank
Tues 4/30
Fri 5/3
Sat 5/4

Based on that I'm saying

Sat 20: game 1
Tue 22: game 2

Thu 25: game 3
Sat 27 game 4

Mon 28 game 5

Thu 2 game 6

Sat 4 game 7

Reactions: TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Bruins have the better goaltending and D.
Leafs have more offensive firepower.

This series will hinge on this: Can Pastrnak & Marchand outscore Matthews & Marner?
It better not be the hinge because I don't like those odds.

The series is going to have to hinge, IMHO, on suffocating team defense and stellar goaltending.

They're also going to have to get secondary scoring beyond David and Brad. If you're relying on two guys for your offense, you're making a losing bet. If the Leafs shut down those two, series over.

Captain Obvious also observes that Boston must exploit TO's defense and goaltending, wear them down, and make it very unpleasant for whoever is in net.

JVR & Maroon can help in this regard, as can the Geek, Frederic, Brad, Coyle and Beecher. Zacha might also prove a stealth offensive weapon.

McAvoy, Peeke,Wotherspoon and possibly Forbort better hit and disrupt early and often. I don't know what Carlo's status is. Gryz has a chance to contribute in a meaningful way against this particular opponent. Lindholm has to significantly elevate his game, which has not been the case much of the regular season. Blocked shots. A ton of them, from everyone.

A lot is going to have to go right. If the Bruins can rattle them, Toronto's questionable character will be tested.

We shall see.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
F#@% Vancouver! If I had to choose between getting swept in the 1st round vs Toronto, or losing against Vancouver in the Finals, I'd go with option #1. That's how much I despise the Canucks. The only team I hate more is the stinkin' Habs.
Who said anything about LOSING to the Canucks in the final?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bert was a pest in junior. Kind of player you hated on an opposing team but would love him on your own. These types are efficient at sucking opponents into taking penalties. Tkachuk is the same. Just have to be able to suck up what they throw at you and walk away and stay out of the box.
Love the Kitchner thingy and your takes

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My ask/advice.

1- stay off their board.
2- tread lightly on the Main Playoff Board
3- report trolls that come here. Dont engage with them.

We will handle it.

IMG_1113.jpeg

Bruins4Life136

Apr 30, 2019
With this group i can expect anything. Clearly they had no interest winning last night. Karma could come their way.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
They would, too.

They'll also bitch about the referees, who Bettman has instructed to throw the games to Boston. Because, you know, Boston is a major U.S. television market.
Gordie you have to realize their are thousands of hockey fans in Canada that hate the Leafs. I run into lots of Bruin fans. I would rather listen to a Boston telecast any day.
I use to wear a pair of Boston Bruin socks to the Kitchener Ranger games just to bug a Leaf fan that had seats across from us. His wife complains about how many cases of beer he has had to buy betting on Leaf games.☺️

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad