Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Leafs looked sad playing 6 on 4 last night trying to get Mathews the puck for his 70th. Even their usual late game dive couldn't buy them a goal. As that stuffed teddy bear Ted said" I had so much hope for dose bums".

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Also, Brady & Mahomes don't play defense.
The Giants sure as hell did.

I think the 3rd period last night was important for them, even though they couldn't get the equalizer.

They put up what...24 SOG in that period, and completely dominated play. Yes OTT is bad, and had nothing to play for, but I look at that as a positive.

Pucks on net, doesn't need to be a perfect shot. Create chaos.
It helped ease my mind, sorta. I spent a large majority of the last 2 games thinking they might not reach 10 SOG for the game.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It's not so much the skating, it's their total disregard for team defense and eagerness to use the half ice pass up the middle. Feast or famine with these guys. I'm expecting a lot of odd man rushes on Ullmark/Swayman, but also lots of scrambling by Toronto in front of whomever their goalie du jour is

I tend to lean towards the "defense wins championships" theory, all sports.
Balance wins championships.

B's have multiple ingredients for success.

I'm scared to death that the offense goes dry.
The best thing that could happen is that the power play goes 2 for 3 in game 1 and they gain some confidence.

If they start the series "0 for"? Oh boy, watch out.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The Giants sure as hell did.

It helped ease my mind, sorta. I spent a large majority of the last 2 games thinking they might not reach 10 SOG for the game.
They probably would have tied it and gone to OT , if Pasta hadn’t of found away to not get the puck to the 6 Bruins instead of the 4 Ottawa players on the ice.

Reactions: Gordoff

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Was Matthews even a factor in any of the games we played against the Leafs this season? Maybe my memory's bad, but I don't recall him doing much.

I hope Carlo is not dinged up too bad. We'll need him.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I know it's Murphy.

FWIW,

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm beginning to seriously dislike some of the Leafs posters. One in particular for a post you cannot see anymore (who has been dinged many times before but somehow keeps their posting privileges).

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm interested to see what some of the newer Bruins bring in the post-season. Hopefully we know what we're getting from players like Pasta and Marchand. Coyle and Zacha were pretty good when they were relied upon in the first few games against FLA last year (when Bergy and DK were out). I hope DeBrusk brings his A-game and Maroon is a factor like he can be.

But it's players like Geekie, Heinen, Frederick, Boqvist, Beecher that I hope will find another gear in the playoffs. If we get players like that contributing, and good solid play from newer D like Peake and Wotherspoon, I think we have a good chance of getting past the second round.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Yeah my point exactly

He's not playing at the perennial Norris level he has in the past, but he's still a very very good player.

Tampa would've been a nightmare matchup for the Bruins in round 1 IMO.
I think DB's point was that with Hedman having almost 30 more points than Mack, and a +18 vs +4, that's hardly "on par."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If they dont get out of this no shot funk they wont last.

I was working the game last night, and it was on at the Pro Shop. But I didn't get a good look either at JVR or whether Montgomery had the second power play replace the first, as it were. Did he? Was MacAvoy taken off the point regardless?

Did JVR get a sniff around the net? Apparently, the reason they sent John Beecher to PRO was to give "Reemer" a chance to ignite his game, while allowing Beecher to play rather than watch from the ninth floor.

Also, I loved Chris Kelly as a player, but I don't understand why he was assigned to coach the power play. Is that still the case?

It's difficult for fans to understand why teams often overthink their power play with overpassing and few shots, never mind the predictability this telegraphs to opponents. It's fairly easy to defend a team that looks for the perfect play through passing the puck to little advantage. Just spread out or box it in front of the net and keep everything to the perimeter.

It's weird and frustrating.

Surely the Bruins realize what any fool can see; their approach, such as it is, doesn't work, and hasn't for the latter part of the season.

For a coach who adjusts lines like a fiend, Montgomery has not corrected an obvious flaw.

Where's the urgency?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm beginning to seriously dislike some of the Leafs posters. One in particular for a post you cannot see anymore (who has been dinged many times before but somehow keeps their posting privileges).
They have a very loud contingent of clowns. Spoils the bunch I'm sure. Carolina has a couple of the worst around though.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
I think the two Atlantic series are really interesting and will all be great games. Think Leafs and Bruins is a toss up, but leaning Bruins. TB /Panthers battle of Florida gut tells me Panthers but tough to pick against TB. Both series could go 7 and be decided by the goaltending.

Reactions: Gordoff

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully Marchy takes out Bergy for a supper and learns some captain tips.

Guys been playing brutal the last few games
Soft play/fly by on that first goal last night, stupid penalties.
Starting stuff with Slavin in that canes game then pulling a disappear act in the final 2 periods.

Dude needs to be much better

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm interested to see what some of the newer Bruins bring in the post-season. Hopefully we know what we're getting from players like Pasta and Marchand. Coyle and Zacha were pretty good when they were relied upon in the first few games against FLA last year (when Bergy and DK were out). I hope DeBrusk brings his A-game and Maroon is a factor like he can be.

But it's players like Geekie, Heinen, Frederick, Boqvist, Beecher that I hope will find another gear in the playoffs. If we get players like that contributing, and good solid play from newer D like Peake and Wotherspoon, I think we have a good chance of getting past the second round.
Freddy is definitely someone who needs to show he has a playoff game he’s ended up being a healthy scratch the last to years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad