Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-1)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.3%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 306 20.6%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 434 29.2%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 257 17.3%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 39 2.6%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 141 9.5%

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It’s always interesting seeing how different sides view things because from the Leafs side we are thinking similarly. Ideal matchup & match up well against Boston.

Really? Seem utterly irrelevant to me. Very different teams on both sides
The 2013 series seemed to still play a part in 2018 and 2019 (mostly 2018)

We saw the leafs get rattled in 2018 after taking a lead in game 7 going into 3rd period up 4-3. Ended up gettung outolayed and losing badly with terrible goaltending and Jake gardiner plays

This team has some guys who could make similar type of plays and cost us in that type of situation.

It isnt a huge factor but at the back of their minds if it goes to game 7 again, past series failures probably start coming up a bit into their heads even if unconciously

Spargon

May 31, 2019
As a Leafs fan I don't expect them to do much this playoffs. The goaltending and defense have been too inconsistent all year. Samsonov could get hot but I'm expecting 3-4 goals against per game but the Leafs not being able to outscore it outside a game or 2.

Out of the last sever years I think this is the weakest they have looked goijg into the playoffs.

If Keefe keeps the Matthew Bertuzzi Domi line together and keep Marner floating on his own line might minimize the issues of scoring.

Reactions: HolyCrap

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
It doesn’t sit right with me that Boston no showed those last two games. I don’t want to say they did it on purpose to avoid Tampa and purposely draw Toronto but that shit never ends up working out in the end and the hockey gods seem to punish that kind of stuff.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
The reg season matchup doesnt really matter

Id say the 3 series Ls the leafs had in past 10 years will impact more so

Leafs can they mentally put behind the failures from 13, 18 and 19?

Can they come out strong in gamed 1 and 2 in boston?

Can our special teams handle a boston PP/PK which has damaged us badly previously?

Can the leafs if we go to game 7 at TD garden, be able to weather the storm and take the game?

The leafs core guys from 2018 and 2019 are still the same. They have to show they can overcome their demons and beat the bruins who are older; and weaker on paper.
So the leaf’s core from 2018- 2019 is a relevant argument but the fact the bruins beat them 4-0 this year isn’t?

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I’m not sure a single outcome in this series would surprise me, I can see both teams laying eggs and both teams making it a series you just never know what version of each team will show up night to night.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m not sure a single outcome in this series would surprise me, I can see both teams laying eggs and both teams making it a series you just never know what version of each team will show up night to night.
For me, the only surprising outcome would be a near perfect 7 game effort from both sides. I'm planning on them trading 5-2 type games. I'd be stunned if they both put forth 7 complete game efforts.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not only because of good goaltending, but the bruins style of play in general is Toronto’s achillies heal.

Austin matthews has 8 points in 14 games and is a -7 in the playoffs in his career against the bruins. He’s a no show.

Your guess is as good as ours. Swayman had the slightly better year. Ullmark was better down the stretch and the coach hasn’t announced it yet unfortunately.

Well, the difference between this series this year and series prior with Toronto is Boston no longer has the elite elite elite #37 on their roster to shutdown everyone.

You are correct though, Toronto does not handle good fast forechecking team that likes to play below the goal line to create their chances. Toronto has to win the special team battle and adjust to Boston forecheck.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto in 6. With how last season ended, Boston needs to prove that they aren't the chokers in this scenario. And I think the Leafs are chomping at the bit to finally prove something

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The Core 4 is locked and loaded and are about to reek havoc, look out Boston.
Screenshot-2024-04-17-171446.jpg

Boston can't wait to see this locked and loaded Core 4 you speak of....

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Reading through this thread a lot of Bruins fans think this is the same team they faced with Babcock coaching and Gardiners on defense. Leafs D struggle to move the puck at times but are one of the top 3 most physical Dcores in the league. Leafs as a team are directly behind the Bruins for hits/game this season.

And the forwards have gotten a lot more physical as well. Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Reaves all play a hard nosed game. This is going to be a really tough series for the Bruins and they might not be expecting it if they are thinking like their fans.

Keys to beating the Leafs will be on the PP and off the rush. If they try to cycle with the Leafs, they will lose. This is the complete opposite of how it was before where the Leafs were happy to trade rush chances. Leafs are a cycle, greasy team these days and completely bullied the Lightning last playoff in round 1.

I honestly think a lot of Bruins fans are going to be completely shocked to be straight up bullied by the Leafs this series.

Reactions: torontoblood

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Reading through this thread a lot of Bruins fans think this is the same team they faced with Babcock coaching and Gardiners on defense. Leafs D struggle to move the puck at times but are one of the top 3 most physical Dcores in the league. Leafs as a team are directly behind the Bruins for hits/game this season.

And the forwards have gotten a lot more physical as well. Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Reaves all play a hard nosed game. This is going to be a really tough series for the Bruins and they might not be expecting it if they are thinking like their fans.

Keys to beating the Leafs will be on the PP and off the rush. If they try to cycle with the Leafs, they will lose. This is the complete opposite of how it was before where the Leafs were happy to trade rush chances. Leafs are a cycle, greasy team.

I honestly think a lot of Bruins fans are going to be completely shocked to be straight up bullied by the Leafs this series.

I think the key to winning the series is just the leafs core. Does it show up? It has to show up.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think the key to winning the series is just the leafs core. Does it show up? It has to show up.

Another outdated narrative. Leafs core has shown up for years. Matthews hard carried the Leafs past Tampa last year.

I am not saying this is a cake walk by any means. I just think Bruins fans are a bit out of touch thinking this is a soft rush team with a young core on their ELC's like the last time we played a playoff series.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Everyone talks about the Leafs core 4....
No one is even mentioning their blatant terrible D and G.
The Leafs aren't getting 3+ goals a game VS. the Bruins. It might happen once, but not more.

Reactions: Ladyfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone talks about the Leafs core 4....
No one is even mentioning their blatant terrible D and G.
The Leafs aren't getting 3+ goals a game VS. the Bruins. It might happen once, but not more.
The onus is on the Leafs' core 4 to show up because they have literally nothing else.

If Matthews, Marner, and Nylander don't score 5 goals a piece and the Leafs lose the series, the Toronto media will impugn their competitiveness and call them chokers, ignoring the fact that their bottom 6 is nothing special, their defense is horrendous, and both goalies are trash.

Reactions: MaWa

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The onus is on the Leafs' core 4 to show up because they have literally nothing else.

If Matthews, Marner, and Nylander don't score 5 goals a piece and the Leafs lose the series, the Toronto media will impugn their competitiveness and call them chokers, ignoring the fact that their bottom 6 is nothing special, their defense is horrendous, and both goalies are trash.

Another outdated narrative. Leafs have tons of depth scoring this season. It's been a strength of the team. They have 8 forwards who have played at a 20 goal pace or more this year.

Leafs have a lot more to offer than just being the Matthews / Marner show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad