Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 8 (Final Playoff Position)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've been doing this for like 4 or 5 years now, so let's get this party started.

Rank what will be the best teams in the Eastern Conference. You can choose to pick what team you think will win the East and be in the SCF, OR what team you think will finish 1st overall at the end of the regular season, use whatever criteria you think is most applicable...as this poll goes, just keep going based on who is left.

Here are the current Division setups:

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Here are the current results of our polls

Atlantic Division
1)Boston Bruins
2)Detroit Red Wings
3)Ottawa Senators
4)Toronto Maple Leafs
-
-
-
-

Metropolitan Division
1)Pittsburgh Penguins
2)New York Rangers
3)Washington Capitals
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Eastern Conference Power Rankings:
1)Boston Bruins
2)Pittsburgh Penguins
3)New York Rangers
4)Detroit Red Wings
5)Ottawa Senators
6)Washington Capitals
7)Toronto Maple Leafs
-
-------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Playoff Matchups:
Home VS Away
Boston Bruins VS Worst Wild Card Team (8)
Pittsburgh Penguins VS Toronto Maple Leafs
Detroit Red Wings VS Ottawa Senators
New York Rangers VS Washington Capitals (AGAIN?!?!?!??!)

Poll to come shortly....

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I just realized I've never read up on how the conferences going to work.

Is it the top 4 from each division or the top 8 from each conference?

and what is this "wild card" business?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

top 3 from each division make it...the final 2 spots (wild cards) in each conference go to the best remaining teams.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Top three teams in each division automatically make the playoffs. Two more teams in each conference will be for wildcard teams (i.e. the next best two teams, no matter what division in the conference they're in).

The better division winner will face the worse wildcard team. The worse division winner will face the better wildcard team.

The other match-ups will be the #2 seed vs the #3 seed in each division.

The next round will be the winner of the #1 vs the wildcard team; vs the winner of the #2 vs #3 seed.

The only time two teams from different divisions within the conference face each other (aside from if a wildcard team plays the division winner from the other division) is in the Conference Final.

Last edited:

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Lots of Ranger homers here if you think the Rangers are sniffing top 3, pesonally I hope they make the top 8 but I wouldn't be surprised if we fall between 10-12 this year. Think we are worse then last year while some of those teams below us have improved.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
Lots of Ranger homers here if you think the Rangers are sniffing top 3, pesonally I hope they make the top 8 but I wouldn't be surprised if we fall between 10-12 this year. Think we are worse then last year while some of those teams below us have improved.

How are they worse? Unlike last season, this season's team is gonna have better depth at forward and defense. Also the Rangers have more NHL ready players in Hartford compared to last year. You seriously think the team that started with Bickel as a regular is better?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't know how you can say the team is the worst.. they made a run to the playoffs, didn't lose anyone and improved the depth.

The division and playoff structure is more difficult though.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Why do you think the Rangers are worse?

You probably shouldn't call anyone a homer and then not back up a bold statement you made.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I agree 100%. It is gonna be a dogfight to make the playoffs. Rangers could be 5 as easily as 2 in the division.

Adjusting to a new coach. Coach adjusting to a new roster. It's not all gonna come together overnight. Rangers got hot at the end of the year, and it was a short season, but they did not look to have the personnel of the 3rd best team in the East over the majority of the 48 games.

Bardof425*

Of course they could be worse, but I'm not sure why you would project that. The lineup (injuries aside) that they will ice to start the season will be better man for man on defense; Stralman is our #6. And the forward core will be deeper especially in the bottom 6 as there will be a lot of legitimate competition for the 12 starting spots. IMO the only areas where we could project the team performing worse are in net since Hank is a year older and behind the bench (for those Torts fans).

And as a young team, our core guys are developing each year and not declining. Richards is the only core guy on the wrong side of this prime and it would be hard to be worse than last year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Of course they could be worse, but I'm not sure why you would project that. The lineup (injuries aside) that they will ice to start the season will be better man for man on defense; Stralman is our #6. And the forward core will be deeper especially in the bottom 6 as there will be a lot of legitimate competition for the 12 starting spots. IMO the only areas where we could project the team performing worse are in net since Hank is a year older and behind the bench (for those Torts fans).

And as a young team, our core guys are developing each year and not declining. Richards is the only core guy on the wrong side of this prime and it would be hard to be worse than last year.

Can't project that either - Hank is not at that point in his career where you can project decline in performance due to age.

Bardof425*

Can't project that either - Hank is not at that point in his career where you can project decline in performance due to age.

I was trying to be nice. I just don't see how you can project this year's team as worse than last year's group. Even with Gabby gone, this team should score more regularly; should defend better and should have more NHL ready depth.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto and Isles make the playoffs but Carolina and Tampa don't? Oh c'mon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad