Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 7

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've been doing this for like 4 or 5 years now, so let's get this party started.

Rank what will be the best teams in the Eastern Conference. You can choose to pick what team you think will win the East and be in the SCF, OR what team you think will finish 1st overall at the end of the regular season, use whatever criteria you think is most applicable...as this poll goes, just keep going based on who is left.

Here are the current Division setups:

Division C
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Division D
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Here are the current results of our polls

Division C
1)Boston Bruins
2)Detroit Red Wings
3)Ottawa Senators
-
-
-
-
-

Division D
1)Pittsburgh Penguins
2)New York Rangers
3)Washington Capitals
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Eastern Conference Power Rankings:
1)Boston Bruins
2)Pittsburgh Penguins
3)New York Rangers
4)Detroit Red Wings
5)Ottawa Senators
6)Washington Capitals
-
-
-------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Playoff Matchups:
Home VS Away
Boston Bruins VS Worst Wild Card Team (8)
Pittsburgh Penguins VS 2nd Worst Wild Card Team (7)
Detroit Red Wings VS Ottawa Senators
New York Rangers VS Washington Capitals (AGAIN?!?!?!??!)

Poll to come shortly....

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Gonna get bashed for this but IMO its the Piles.

MTL stupidly over achieved last season. I think they are a notch ahead of CLB (unless Bob repeats his Vezina season) and Toronto is the only team on par with them IMO.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Isles. They just seem to keep getting better and they definitely put up a fight against the Pens last postseason.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
voting Leafs again. they really need a shutdown D and they'll be good.

Edit: Why the hell are the Wings so high? Love their team but they were barely a playoff team until the last two weeks.....Weiss and Alfie don't propel them to 4th imo.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I think people are picking based on last year a lot more than they are on this year.

you look at the teams that weren't expected to make it and the teams that did from year to year, ther'es a lot of turn over.

Further, last year is a short season which allowed for a lot of the meh teams to make it. If the list finished too similar to last year's, there's a problem.

Dec 13, 2010
Columbus after the trade deadline were 9-3 and had the best goaltender in the league. Lot of big injuries held them back last year, and they drafted very well.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Picked the Islanders. Like their offseason moves. Bouchard and Clutterbuck from Minny will do well in their top 9. They have more depth than Toronto. C-bus and them are equal there, but Tavares puts them over the top for me.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Islanders. Good offense top to bottom, solid, underrated defense. Only question mark is if Nabokov can keep up his play. TOR/PHI/CBJ and NYI in a wild battle for the 7th and 8th spots.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Toronto. The only team from this "second tier" group that clearly addressed their needs / improved their roster even if they overpaid doing it. Should've been ahead of Washington as well.

Montreal / Isles next

Wolfpack21

Dec 14, 2008
Ranger fan in Jersey
How is Montreal dropping so far? I would have put them a few spots higher....

They had an excellent year last year and they only lost Ryder? Or am I forgetting somebody? There younger players have a decent chance of performing better this upcoming season no? I voted Canadians and for the eighth seed Blue Jackets or even Flyers.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
At this point in the poll its becoming clear that with the new alignment a team or two in the Metro division is going to get screwed out of a playoff appearance.

Voted Isles. They have been slowly upgrading their team and they are learning how to win, the right way. Columbus may surprise teams considering their past reputation. The Flyers, Canadiens, Leafs will all be competitive (The Leafs at the top of that group). Despite how much we hate the Devils roster, they could challenge for a spot if things break right for them, plus, I dont think Lous done yet. Then you have the Lightning who can score 50 goals in 10 games and get hot at the right time. The Canes, we'll see. Florida and Buffalo dont scare me but things can change quickly every year. Going to be a real tough go. Every night.

Again, a team or two will get screwed in the East for sure due to the new alignment and playoff structure.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I was waaay too late to the party on this one, but seriously the Leafs at #7?

They were an awful team that got some unprecedented shooting luck last year and they got worse in the offseason.

They replaced MacArthur with Clarkson, a downgrade even if we are disregarding contracts.

They kept Bozak over Grabovski, idiotic. Bozak is awful.

They re-signed Orr AND McLaren, why both?

They squeezed themselves so hard up against the cap that they will have to get rid of their top scoring D Cody Franson, who by the way is their only right handed D at the moment.

The Leafs won't make the playoffs. This isn't even coming from a place of dislike, I like the Leafs as an entity. They have just been making awful decisions lately for a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad