Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 1

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Bruins.

I'll rank us 4th, probably. Close with OTT and DET. DET will get the 3rd for taking the Hawks to Game 7. I'll go BOS - PIT - DET - NYR - OTT and after that it's pretty much a toss-up between WSH, NYI, TOR, MTL and CBJ IMO.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Lets go Rangers!

Best goalie in the world. Top D. Potentially good offense. We're one year removed from barely missing out on winning the presidents trophy to the team whose coach we just acquired. With some luck, I think we're up there with the top few teams in the conference. There are a lot of very good teams around us, so you never know. A team like Ottawa is very good. They could easily get hot stay hot and win the East. So can we. You could make the case for the Pens and Bruins very easily as well. I'm hoping its us.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
I think #1 will be between Boston and Ottawa.

Ottawa has good goaltending, fantastic youth, just added a great goal scorer. And they have a terrific coach. Oh and a top 3 dman in the league (#1 imo).

Recently they have been plagued by injury, if they can have some luck I see them winning the President's trophy.

And Boston, well, I shouldn't have to explain.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson

How is that not a great top 6?

Pretty avg atleast IMO.

Sure, very good two ways and a great mix of some pestyness and size etc., but there are just no top end talent.

Boston is of course a very good team by today's standards. But it's not their top 6 that is setting them apart. Put a "great" top 6 on that team and you get a dynasty...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's Boston, but I think they have the tougher division so Pitt might beat them in overall points despite having an inferior outfit.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
Pretty avg atleast IMO.

Sure, very good two ways and a great mix of some pestyness and size etc., but there are just no top end talent.

Boston is of course a very good team by today's standards. But it's not their top 6 that is setting them apart. Put a "great" top 6 on that team and you get a dynasty...

No top end talent?

What do you consider top end talent if not Bergeron?

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
I see no reason why we don't have as good a chance as the Pens or the B's so I picked NYR.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Boston is probably the best team overall. However, I think Pittsburgh will cruise through the regular season and end up at the top of the table.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm confused. Are we voting for the SCF representative from the East or #1 seed for the play-offs based on the regular season? If former I'd rank Boston and Detroit higher than Pens.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson

How is that not a great top 6?

That's an amazing top 6. A top 6 with some two way players.

Gimme Boston on this one. Pitt might have the best two forwards, but Bergeron and Krejci are really good players. It's all about balance and depth. Boston has that over Pittsburgh.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I think the Rangers are the second best team in their division. Even though the Rangers defense & goaltending is better, Pens still have the better offense and usually have very good regular seasons. So I give them the edge for the division.

Pens
Rangers
Caps
Islanders
Devils
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Bruins just went to the SCFs, so I give them edge as the best team in the Conference. Until proven otherwise.
I'm undecided with the Red Wings here now. I have not watched them against many Eastern Conference teams. So it's hard to rank them head to head. Hmm don't know.

Rangers overall 3rd best team in the East. imo. because I haven't seen enough of the Wings vs the East. Rangers 4th at worst.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Boston's top 6 isn't lacking in identity, that's for sure - toughness and strong two-way play with some skill sprinkled in. They are well-balanced and will be hard to play against.

Pitt and Boston will battle it out for the #1 seed, could go either way. Like others have said, I could see Pitt ending up with more points as they have a propensity to succeed in the regular season, even though Boston has a more balanced lineup.

I don't think the Rangers are up there with Pitt or Boston (and possibly Detroit), but stranger things have happened as we saw in 2011-12.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think #1 will be between Boston and Ottawa.

Ottawa has good goaltending, fantastic youth, just added a great goal scorer. And they have a terrific coach. Oh and a top 3 dman in the league (#1 imo).

Recently they have been plagued by injury, if they can have some luck I see them winning the President's trophy.

And Boston, well, I shouldn't have to explain.

ottawa lost some key pieces in that trade. Silfverburg was a monster

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think the Rangers are the second best team in their division. Even though the Rangers defense & goaltending is better, Pens still have the better offense and usually have very good regular seasons. So I give them the edge for the division.

Pens
Rangers
Caps
Islanders
Devils
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Bruins just went to the SCFs, so I give them edge as the best team in the Conference. Until proven otherwise.
I'm undecided with the Red Wings here now. I have not watched them against many Eastern Conference teams. So it's hard to rank them head to head. Hmm don't know.

Rangers overall 3rd best team in the East. imo. because I haven't seen enough of the Wings vs the East. Rangers 4th at worst.

Blue Jackets should be much higher on that list.

I can see this:

Pens
Caps
Rangers
Blue Jackets
Islanders
Hurricanes
Devils

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No top end talent?

What do you consider top end talent if not Bergeron?

Look at scoring in the NHL, start from the top and go down the list. That will atleast give you a decent picture.

You guys think these guys are megastars just because the played in the finals. Will be interesting watching that monster Horton next season in Columbus...

They are a great team. They are not (i) a great team with (ii) great talent in their top 6.

To match Boston, you just do not need both (i) and (ii) above: (i) is enough.

It's a relevant issue. From several perspectives.

Take those guys in Boston's top 6 and spread them out over the not so ideal fits of the 30 teams in this league, and you would hold them much lower.

You only need to study the SCF teams for a few years to figure it out (31 should really pay some attention too). Look at Penner. Look at Malone. There are so many guys like that.

Michael Ryder was one of Boston's best forwards when they won. It was Ryder this and Ryder that. Who is now looking at a top 6 and goes "man they have Ryder on their top 6 they are awesome!!!!"? Bergeron is a 2-way player who doesn't sell himself short on the ice. There is a bunch of players like him in the game, that don't happen to play for such a strong team as Boston and hence doesn't play in the finals.

Toronto should have beaten Boston this year, they had the slight edge overall in that series. But it does take a lot to beat them. They are really durable and clutchy. But it definitely is no impossible feat to beat Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad