Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 1

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've been doing this for like 4 or 5 years now, so let's get this party started.

Rank what will be the best team in the Eastern Conference. You can choose to pick what team you think will win the East and be in the SCF, OR what team you think will finish 1st overall at the end of the regular season, use whatever criteria you think is most applicable.

Here are the current Division setups:

Division C
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Division D
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Here are the current results of our polls

Division C
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Division D

Here are the current Eastern Conference Playoff Rankings:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Playoff Matchups:
Division Winner with Best Record (1) VS Worst Wild Card Team (8)
Division Winner with 2nd Best Record(2) VS 2nd Worst Wild Card Team (7)
Division C #2 VS Division C #3
Division D #2 VS Division C #3

Poll to come shortly....

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
IMO, Boston has to be #1. Great top-6, deep defense, elite goaltending, excellent coaching, solid bottom-6 that could get better if some close to NHL-ready prospects take the next step.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
IMO, Boston has to be #1. Great top-6, deep defense, elite goaltending, excellent coaching, solid bottom-6 that could get better if some close to NHL-ready prospects take the next step.

I just disagree.

they were 2 mins from being eliminated in the first round, and then got RED HOT.

a few red hot weeks does not a season make.

Pens for me.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I just disagree.

they were 2 mins from being eliminated in the first round, and then got RED HOT.

a few red hot weeks does not a season make.

Pens for me.

The Bruins completely exposed the Penguins for what they are — a three man team. They're not a dangerous playoff team at all, IMO. Weak goaltending, bad defense, forward core that completely relies on two player (albeit the best players in the world). Pittsburgh might finish a spot higher than Boston, but they are weaker at every position compared to the Bruins, and not nearly as big of a playoff threat, IMO.

Last edited:

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Was a toss-up between the pens and bruins for me. Sided with the Pens, imagining what they could do with a healthy core throughout an entire season. Yes, Bos beat them up in the playoffs, but how often will that Pens team be held to basically no offense in a 7 game series... or a 4 game series?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Malkin, Sid, Letang add Scuderi who was flying under the radar and carried LA's defense at times. Meanwhile Bruins swap out Horton and Seguin for Iginla and Eriksson yet loose Ference. Pitt is improving their blueline while Boston is taking a step back.

The Bruins completely exposed the Penguins for what they are — a three man team. They're not a dangerous playoff team at all, IMO. Weak goaltending, bad defense, forward core that completely relies on two player (albeit the best players in the world). Pittsburgh might finish a spot higher than Boston, but they are weaker at every position compared to the Bruins, and not nearly as big of a playoff threat, IMO.

Blueline these teams went in opposite directions this offseason.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Malkin, Sid, Letang add Scuderi who was flying under the radar and carried LA's defense at times. Meanwhile Bruins swap out Horton and Seguin for Iginla and Eriksson yet loose Ference. Pitt is improving their blueline while Boston is taking a step back.

That's not even remotely true, he's a third pairing guy. Doughty/Voynov were healthy all year, Scuderi was doing no carrying with those two players there. Boston lost Ference, but they have Krug, Bartowski, and Hamilton vying for blueline spots, they'll be fine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's not even remotely true, he's a third pairing guy. Doughty/Voynov were healthy all year, Scuderi was doing no carrying with those two players there. Boston lost Ference, but they have Krug, Bartowski, and Hamilton vying for blueline spots, they'll be fine.

Scuderi wasn't a 3rd paring guy for the Kings, even "remotely." He had essentially the same ES TOI/G as Voynov, and, lo and behold, they played most of the season on the same 2nd pairing. Scuderi was also their number 1 PK defenseman.

Although, I wouldn't say he carried the whole D either, I wouldn't be shocked to find that Scuderi carried Voynov at times and vice versa.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Dark horse pick here but im going with the Senators. Anderson will be healthy. Bobby Ryan is a solid addition. I think they have a shot, especially if Spezza stays healthy.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Held my nose and voted Pens. They're the most likely team to win the conference at the end of the regular season.

Playoffs are too unpredictable.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I went with Pitt even though I feel physically ill from doing so. Seeing Detroit in that list just looks really weird.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Who voted for Florida? :laugh:

Boston for me followed by Pittsburgh. Boston is simply much deeper at every position. Better team defense.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Who voted for Florida? :laugh:

Boston for me followed by Pittsburgh. Boston is simply much deeper at every position. Better team defense.

and yet theyve won the cup as many times as Pitt has since the lockout, been to as many SCF as Pitt has since the lockout, etc with basically similar teams to what they have now.

Pittsburgh is better imho, they got destroyed by a team who got red hot. it happens every year where a good team plays superhuman for a few weeks, then goes back to normal. for bawstun, it happened in the playoffs.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
and yet theyve won the cup as many times as Pitt has since the lockout, been to as many SCF as Pitt has since the lockout, etc with basically similar teams to what they have now.

Pittsburgh is better imho, they got destroyed by a team who got red hot. it happens every year where a good team plays superhuman for a few weeks, then goes back to normal. for bawstun, it happened in the playoffs.

Past results aren't relevant for me when we're looking at the teams today.

While Crosby, Kunitz, Malkin, and Neal are very formidable up front, the remaining top 6 spots will likely be filled by a rookie in Bennett and a career 3rd liner at best until he played with Crosby in Dupuis.

Boston has Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Lucic, Eriksson, and Iginla in their top 6. Not quite as high on top end talent, but they can beat you in many more ways than Pittsburgh's top 6 can, and as I said, more well rounded.

Boston's bottom 6 and depth blows Pittsburgh's out of the water. Don't even think that's debatable.

On D, Pittsburgh has Martin and Letang. Orpik lost a step this past season. Scuderi isn't getting any younger. Engelland is a solid bottom pairing guy, but gets exposed as a pylon otherwise. Despres an Pouliot look like good prospects, but not ready for full time duty yet.

Boston has Chara whom lost a step this past season, but when on, is still one of the more dominating defensemen in the league. Boychuk and Seidenberg are solid top 4 D's. It gets sketchy after that, but Krug (barf), Bartkowski, and Hamilton all look solid.

Boston has the advantage in goal for now as long as Fleury's head remains in his ass.

As long as you stay out of the box against Pittsburgh they're very beatable. Boston is a much tougher team to beat 5 on 5, so I give the edge to them.

Whew, that took a long time to type out on my phone.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I went with the Rangers after much debate. I think that the Bruins,Pens and Senators all have a chance but with a new head coach and a full training camp I see no reason for the Rangers to put it all together.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Great top six?

You are overrating them a lot by my book. They have Chara first and foremost, and size on the wing and some really good two way players. But hardly anyone with elite offensive ability. They do not have good depth on defense, nor elite ability besides Chara.

They are a very well coached team though that has build in the same -- right -- direction for a long time now. That's what they are about really.

They could be the top team in the East, but they could definitely be challenged. They do not have elite offensive players. Someone like Eriksson is really far behind a Rich Nash in talent. Their blueline can definitely be pressured.

Pittsburg is the top team in the east in terms of talent, but they got an egg shell captain and that's not a good idea in hockey. You can tell when they play that they don't have the right fear less attitude.

Detroit has a pretty thin lineup, but they are my pick to take the East.

We should be up there too. At least challenge for our division unless Pittsburgh are reg. season kings again.

After those four teams, it's anyones guess. Toronto? Caps? Ottawa? Tampa? Some teams will have good years...

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Definitely Boston IMO. They only got better since getting to the final last season.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm going by who has better overall regular season record (assuming no key injuries) and it just seems that the Pens will have an easier ride in D than any team in C (they need to come up with division names).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad