Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Final G1: Caps @ Bolts | 5/11/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Yeah I think it's unfair to generalize fanbases based on anonymous msg board activity. The interwebs brings out the most obnoxious people, everywhere. They're just a small slice of the general population. I'm sure Tampa fans at games pale in comparison to how obnoxious and annoying Pitt and Philly fans are, but I also have an Eagles fan on my street who is super cool and coaches baseball with me. Go figure most sports fans aren't dicks

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Go figure most sports fans aren't dicks

COUNTERPOINT:

baseballyankeefans.gif

(probably my favorite sports gif of all time)

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
It's like Trotz is attempting to put the slowest line together he can with that fourth line. Makes no sense against a fast team but alright.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe the 1 2 2 it shall be. Too late I already bet the over hoping for a glorious blowout capitals victory.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would argue he is not but collectively I'd argue their fourth line is faster. Also, being away they won't get dictate the match-ups, I doubt Cooper puts his fourth line against our fourth line.

DSP and Chaisson are not going to play that much. Beagle more

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
So let’s assume worst case and Backstrom has a broken hand/finger. How long would that normally keep him out? A month?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Will be very hard without backstrom.
Cant help again but think how powerful a team Caps would be with Forsberg... I cannot understand how gms make these unacceptable mistakes. They can blow a teams future

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Tampa's hockey scene reminds me a lot of the American soccer scene. That's not meant to be disparaging, but in watching videos I've seen a lot of banners, flags, they do a march to the stadium, etc.

It makes sense to me, in most cities soccer is second fiddle to the bigger sports so the groups that do rally around it tend to formulate and build out on the idea of a supporters club as opposed to just a general acceptance of there being a massive amount of fans. I don't know, I'm having a hard time explaining it, but part of the MLS's thing is this supporters club idea. DC United has like 5-6 clubs (it's actually a point of contention among fans right now) and if you're attending the game and not part of one of these groups then it's pretty easy to feel like you're not a part of the experience. Conversely for the bigger sports simply by attending the games and following the team you feel some level of involvement. There's a weird level of gatekeeping attached to American soccer, this idea of if you're not diehard and willing to participate in one of these supporter groups then you're level of investment is less than that of others. I think with any fringe sporting scene this type of gatekeeping happens. MLS fans like to model their support after European clubs, but in reality this idea of all fans being supporters is far more closer to the reality of the way things operate over there.

Anyways I digress, I don't know if this stupid gatekeeping happens in Tampa, I just wouldn't be surprised if it does. I've seen it here for DC United and it will uptick very soon when United gets their new stadium and Rooney. You have people who have self-appointed themselves super fans and placed themselves and their egos in front, they're super quick to try and pull rank the moment the team begins to experience an influx of bandwagon fans.

I'm European originally, and there is no reason for these fans to have any ego whatsoever given the level of soccer in this country is dreadful. Dedication to your team is nice, but I'd be laughing at them if I were you for being batshit crazy if they have this clique crap going on. I rarely watch DCU and soccer in general, but perhaps I'll be more interested in them when the new stadium opens. I tend to follow the US men when they play, but they are awful right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad