Eastern Conferance half way point.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Here is my east standings they will be like the west in the sense its seeing how brocks predictions panned out

1) Buffalo Sabers projected 1st

Is there really a suprise here top end offense, defense and goalie. This team competes hard every night and is leading in the race for the presidents trophy.

2) Pittsburgh Penguins projected 6th

The Penguins bolstered there defense with the aqusition of Kevin Beiksa and they added to there forwards by adding Radlslav Olez this team has taken a step in the right direction and its paying off for them.

3) Florida Panthers projected 2nd

Were suprisingly one of the worst teams in the east most of the season and even the acquistion of Zach Parise wasnt the lift at the start but they finnally have gotten back on track and looking like the East powerhouse they were last year.

4) New Jersey Devils projected 8th

Seems the answers of kee[ing the puck out of the net have been answered the offense is deadly and helping them cruse by many of there opponents.

5) Montreal Canadians projected 7th

The Candians bolstered there line up by trading star center Travis Zajac there return powerforward Dustin Penner and Tim Connelly which helped add scoring depth the suprise is in net where Chris Mason is carrying the team and is amoung the best goalies in the East.

6) Boston Bruins projected 11th

The Bruins dewelled in the basement long enough with some line mixing there surging towards the top once again in a weak eastern conferance.

7) New York Rangers projected 5th

The Trading of Tim Thomas seems to be costing the Rangers Milan Michalek was added to the offense and Lehtonen has been average this team could go up or down only time will tell.

8) Carolina Hurricanes projected 12th

The Hurricanes are carried by overachiving Brian Elliot and the star power of Alex Ovechkin but how far can this group go in a playoff push? only time will tell.

9) New York Islanders projected 3rd

A bunch of trades seem to have hit this team hard sending both star scores packing for brighter places but this team is still holding in and there young and going to improve.

10) Ottawa Senators projected 4th

The problem here isnt a lack of star power but a lack of depth this team needs to try and address that issue or maybe go into rebuild mode if they keep slipping might be something to consider with Nik Lindstrom being a prime candiate for trade to a contender??

11) Atlanta Thrashers projected 14th

Adding Gaborik was brillant combine him with Stamkos and star goalie MA Fluery and youve got a core to build around for the future and the present.

12) Washington Capitals projected 10th

The caps dont appear to have meshed the way they were expected the auction is on for rental and piece that the caps feel dont fit there rebuild they could fall down the ladder or stay about here but the inevitable has shown its ugly head and now the build begins.

13) Philidephia Flyers projected 13th

An overachiving team but they seem to have some luck as players who get salary dumped there turn there seasons around. Montoya, Jokienen, Pacioretty (till the injury). This team seems to have all the luck and with John Tavares and Taylor Hall the future is bright for this club.

14) Tampa Bay Lightining projected 15th

Quitely going about there bussinuess looking to start a rebuild and get a lottery pick to start along the long road that is rebuild.

15) Toronto Maple Leafs projected 9th

Traded there starter and seem to have set themselves into rebuild mode even traded star winger for the underachiving Vinny Lecaliver which made them 7 years younger. could get the first overall pick this year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
"...a weak eastern conference."

Really?

Don't see how you could argue otherwise, with all due respect to my Eastern brethren. Leaving aside that the 11th place team in the west would be in 6th place in the East, look at the goal differentials of the teams in the East versus the teams in the West. There's not much difference for the top couple of teams, but from there onwards you see a dramatic shift, with the Eastern conference teams having a noticeably worse goals for / goals against ratio than their Western conference equivalents. It only makes sense: the West has been raiding Eastern teams for top talent (especially goalies) all season (myself included). But it underscores that the HFNHL version of parity is more like the NBA than the NHL. If not for the unbalanced schedules (the Eastern teams getting to play more games against weaker Eastern opposition, the West having to play most of their games against tougher Western opposition), I believe the disparity would be even greater.

Last edited:

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
That arguement is as solid as ripe ementhal...

Consider the fact that approximately 60%-65% of all matchups have been in-conference battles - the close race occuring in the east is more likely a product of the strength of eastern teams relative to each other. It certianly has little to do with the any western 'superiority'. The picture gets interesting when you look at how eastern conf. teams fare against western conference teams. I for one look forward to my matchups vs. the west. My record vs. the east is 13 wins in 33 games. My record vs. the west is 11 wins in 20 games.

By contrast - lets look at the Red Wings ( sorry Drew - not using you as an example for any reason other than to illuminate my point ):

The Red Wings are 18 for 33 vs. his own conference while his performance vs. the east has been rather wanting...at 8 wins in 20 games.

So while some teams may be masters in their own backyard - I'd be hesitant to make any sweeping claims that one conference is superior to the other at this point. I'd say the close race in the east is a result of parity - and not a result of being inferior to any western conference teams. But feel free to draw silly conclusions - please...I love swiss cheese.

GM Kruegs

I'd be curious to know how the other eastern teams breakdown....

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I'd be curious to know how the other eastern teams breakdown....

I'm usually on the side of the West is stronger. But just don't add up the Flames record against the East teams. It's a losing one.

EDIT:

5 - 7 vs. the East.

22 - 7 vs. the West.

Bring back the inter-divisional games please!!

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Speaking of porous cheesy comestibles, that argument doesn't stand up. There is no more parity in the East than there is in the West. It's just that the common bar in the West is higher. I don't have the time to a team-by-team analysis, but I don't need to:

1) both conferences have played a majority o their ges against conference opposition

2) the western conference has consistently higher points and goal differential

3) if those greater wins and goals had come against in-conference opponents, there would be a corresponding pool of Western Conference teams with fewer points and lower goal differentials.

4) While it's true that both conferences have their weaker teams, the weaker team's Performance in the West is stronger than that in the East, and in any event not poor enough to account for the overall differential in points and goals.

Therefore, the only possible conclusion is that the West has, on average, had the upperhand versus the East.

QED

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'm sorrry that evident truth is unpalatable for yu, Mr. Krueger. But convince your fans (and apparently yourself) what you like - facts is facts, my friend (and I would be saying precisely the same thing were I still the GM of the Capitals). The West currently has a higher proportion of better-than-average teams. It does not make either conference easy, it does not particularly mean there's any separation between the top teams in either conference, and as we've seen, it means nothing when it comes down to which conference champion walks away with the Cup at the end of the dance. But it is what it is, and as you have failed to present anything beyond the most anecdotal argument to the contrary, your being unconvinced means little. Might as well say Texas has the same weather as Ontario because it was cold there for the Superbowl.

P.S. - Where was this debate when we had our GMs' conference? I would have stayed longer (or tried to convince Drew and Zac to)!

Last edited:

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I am sorry Mr. Emerson but at this point you haven't backed up your arguement with anything other than cold, sloppy tripe. As such - you present very little palatable 'evident fact' to chew on. Dish us up some numbers, and maybe we'll sit down and join you.

Chef Kruegs

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The dialectic is weak with this one - your profs would be disappointed. I've advanced a perfectly reasonable theory that fits all of the information at hand. You dismiss the theory, but fail to indicate any fault in the reasoning. You did make a half-assed attempt at presenting an alternative theory, but you clearly didn't think it through. You claimed it was because of the parity in the East, but there is clearly as much or more parity in the West, where there are fewer outliers, and more teams in contention. And even If there was greater parity, it wouldn't explain why there were fewer points and a lower goal differential in the East than the West.

So you have not indicated any failings in my reasoning, and have failed to present any credible alternatives.

Seems to me the burden of proof is in your camp, Kruegs. You do the math, then come back and show us what the "chef" is cookin!

Last edited:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I guess no one is giving the General Manager the credit for line submission. Upon seeing the East vs West results, I can truly say that the East Division GM has better skill to match their line ups against the West...with the exception of Senior Niece:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad