Easiest path so far?

Which team has had the easiest path to the conference finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I feel like it has to be Tampa.

Got New Jersey in round 1. They worked hard but are still a WIP and were pretty inexperienced. At least, their best players were.

Boston round 2. We hear now that they were pretty beat up and it comes as no surprise. They played pretty much every other night for 2 months. I think it caught up to them and was reflective of how the series went. Boston is a better team than they showed.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I feel like it has to be Tampa.

Got New Jersey in round 1. They worked hard but are still a WIP and were pretty inexperienced. At least, their best players were.

Boston round 2. We hear now that they were pretty beat up and it comes as no surprise. They played pretty much every knight for 2 months. I think it caught up to them and was reflective of how the series went. Boston is a better team than they showed.

Picked Tampa as well just because I think the Devils were the softest team in round 1 and though they had potentional to be I honestly don't think the bruins were as mighty as anyone thought

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
My Lightning. Jersey was cake and we got a beat up Boston who looked lethargic. Looks like more of the same with Washington

Honestly, I kind of worry about that too. I'm not sure how healthy the caps are going in but they showed some resilience so I have hope they'll do it again.

That's the luck of the draw though, takes some luck to get to the big dance, so it is what it is.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not Washington. Columbus was a very big threat to anyone in round 1 - they lost last year, improved this year and put up a hell of a fight. And Penguins - love them or hate them they're champs and the team to beat. Washington - very hard road so far.

Jets. Minesotta wasn't the toughest round 1 opponent - but Nashville was definitely the toughest round 2 opponent. So by virtue of that alone, not them.

Tampa. NJ was pretty easy in round 1. Boston was a juggernaut this season - and although i personally didn't have them going far - many people called them a fantastic team, and the fact that Tampa beat them so easily should't mean the opponent itself should be classified as easy.

Vegas. A lot of people picked LA to win that division - and so it's unclear to what extent LA stunk up or Vegas simply dominated, or both. Either way - LA didn't put up much of a fight in round 1. And although SJ made the finals 2 years ago and "on paper" have a decent roster - they're still notorious chokers who in general don't go very far in the playoffs, who had a "meh" season at best. So that wasn't the toughest challenge either.

Vegas had the easiest path so far, very much so.

Then Tampa
Then Winnipeg

Then Washington. Only team who faced 2 very tough challenges so far.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Tampa.

They played a green team in the Devils in round 1, then faced off against a Bruins team that was beat up from 7 games vs the leafs and were spent.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think Washington had the toughest path, probably Tampa with the easiest by a little bit over Vegas. Jets had an easy first round (especially with all those injuries) and a tough second. Going in, I would have said Kings were a tougher team than the Devils to play while Boston/San Jose were a lot closer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel like Minnesota would have given VGK a very hard time if they had been in the final WC spot. Oh, well, luck is part of playoff success.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just based on simple point numbers -

Winnipeg - Nashville (117p) + Minnesota (101p) = 218 points
Tampa - Boston (112p) + Devils (97p) = 209 points
Vegas - San Jose (100p) + LA (98p) = 198 points
Washington - Pitt (100p) + Columbus (97p) = 197 points

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Tampa Bay or Vegas.

Devils were really weak. Bruins are a tricky team, but were definitely beaten up and had some flaws that could be exploited. Honestly, the Caps look fairly similar.

Anaheim and San Jose, IMO, are two teams who the league has passed by. They are just too slow. Vegas easily expoited that. They face a very different challenge now in the Jets though.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'd say Tampa in the East because Columbus and Pittsburgh were both very good this year, whereas Boston was good but seemed beat up from Toronto and NJ wasn't really a threat (relative to the others this year).

And Vegas in the West because I thought Nashville was the best team there. However, winning two series against Cali teams is no cakewalk.

Edit: Andddd of course I miss clicked on WPG, meant to pick Vegas...

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
In order

1. Vegas- San Jose and Anaheim both were offensively challenged. Vegas is good, but at no point did they seem to be challenged.
2. Tampa- NJ had heart, but also only one line. Boston was a great regular season team, but they were battered by the time the Tampa series rolled around and their offense really didn't show up beyond their top 6.
3. Washington- Columbus was a tough out, and they play a style of game that would give most teams this playoffs difficulty. In the end their deficiencies were too much though. Pitt was the defending back-to-back Champions, any time you play them you have to consider them a threat.
4. Winniped- Minnesota was a standard opponent but I think Nashville vs. WPG was the WCF.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Jets.. wild missing their #1D and Rinne throwing 2 games gor free win.

Homerhawk

Aug 15, 2007
Knights had the easiest, Bolts didn't have it too tough, either. Part of it may be that the Knights just made it look easy, and I want to think the Kings and Sharks would have been a tough run, but from what I saw neither team really had the intensity to give the Knights a run for their money.

Caps and Jets are pretty well battle tested. Too early to say that's a blessing or a curse. My gut says that has made the Jets stronger, but the Caps may have burnt too much emotional energy against the Pens.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Easily Tampa. They played a bad Devils team and a beat up Bruins team. Vegas at least had to face San Jose who dominated a decent Anaheim team in the first round.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Bruins looked listless against TB, but I credit TB for that. I have a hard time saying the Bruins were a weak team regardless of how tough the Leafs series was.

I also think CBJ may be overrated in this thread. They have a deep team but no game breakers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad