Easier or tougher next season?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With the new realignment taking place next year, we got two teams that have been strong contenders (St. Louis, Chicago), two teams that are up and coming (Nashville (after taking a step back this year)) and Winnipeg) and two teams that are rebuilding (Dallas and Colorado). That leaves us in the middle and I think next to Nashville and above Winnipeg. So, do you think this team will take a step back or a step forward next year?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Colorado, Edmonton and Colorado have the worst defenses in the league... Can't imagine we'll have an easier time scoring goals next season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Tougher...I think that's fairly obvious. Blues are very capable of heading into inexplicable skids so we have a little chance to be number 2 though.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I think Colorado is just going to leapfrog us soon. They have great young forwards in Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Mackinnon. Stastny not so much because of his contract but hes still very good. If they can get their defense to step up they could be a sleeper. I like their forward depth alot with the addition of Tanguay too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd rate the Wild as 3rd in the new division...

Chicago
St.Louis
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Nashville
Dallas
Colorado

OpRedDawn*

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if we missed the playoffs... lack of top end / game changer type players...

But then the other part remembers we did pretty darn decent against the SC champs with a injured roster..... who knows

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Its hard to say with all the changes to come in the next few weeks. But I will take a stab at the standings.

Chicago - still awesome but minus some of their depth guys, contender
St.Louis - Great D, big forwards, skilled youngsters, solid playoff team
Minnesota - bubble team, hopefully chemistry improves
Colorado - very young bubble team that could surprise
Winnipeg - who knows probably a bit better than last year but not much
Dallas - Jamie Benn and Loui Erikkson are all that matters
Nashville - no scoring, good Defense, cellar dwellars

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Chicago: Stanley Cup Hangover.
St.Louis: Hitch's third year as a coach never go well.
Minnesota: Improved at the deadline, injuries killed them. Fully healthy?
Winnipeg: Should be fun games, but I still do not like their roster.
Nashville: Will not be able to score...
Dallas: Uhm... wut?
Colorado: State of horrifying transition...

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I don't know. Tough.
Last season was tough. The year before it was tough. It's been tough for a while.

Minnesota easy, there's no such thing.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Here's the plus side: if we finish ahead of WPG, COL, DAL, and NSH, we're guaranteed a playoff spot.

And if we only finish ahead of three of those, and beat three of VAN/CGY/PHX/EDM/ANA/LAK/SJS, we get a spot.

By default, those are the best odds at a playoff appearance in our history. (8/14 instead of 8/15.)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Part of me wouldn't be surprised if we missed the playoffs... lack of top end / game changer type players...

But then the other part remembers we did pretty darn decent against the SC champs with a injured roster..... who knows

If this team can learn to score on the PP... look the %$@#@ out! ;)

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Umbrella set-up doesn't work, not enough creativity.

Roll the PP from behind the net, cycle the puck and use the D down low. Overload the slot. Or something.

J22*

Umbrella set-up doesn't work, not enough creativity.

Roll the PP from behind the net, cycle the puck and use the D down low. Overload the slot. Or something.

The lack of creativity isnt caused by being in the Umbrella, Its caused because the PP is run through Suter, Koivu, Parise and not one of those three is willing to take the puck into a scoring area.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
The lack of creativity isnt caused by being in the Umbrella, Its caused because the PP is run through Suter, Koivu, Parise and not one of those three is willing to take the puck into a scoring area.

This, and when they are able to finally set up the power play, they just stand in there spots and seem to forget they can skate. No one moves. The dangerous pp's are the ones that are rotating and moving all the time. Its just brutal to watch. They ain't gonna move out of your way Suter so you can bomb it. At least Heatley makes some moves and passes before doing a clap bomb at the goalies face.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
With Mike Yeo? I don´t know if it´s either a hot streak or a cold streak at the start.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hawks PP was every bit as horrible as ours, with more tools.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Disagree, Parise lives in the scoring areas... Koivu is a solid all around player but has never been overly creative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad